USMLE scores for Filipinos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natataheako

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a pre-med student in the US, and right now I don't know if my grades are good enough to get into a US med school, so I'm thinking about applying to a Filipino school, but I was wondering how students at Filipino schools do on the USMLEs? Anyone know average scores? Also, even though I'm a US citizen, would it be pretty hard for me to come back to the US for my training after med school? I've heard it's pretty tough for foreigners. Finally, are Filipino med schools good for training you, or should I try to take some extra classes and work real hard to get into a US school? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Natataheako said:
Hi, I'm a pre-med student in the US, and right now I don't know if my grades are good enough to get into a US med school, so I'm thinking about applying to a Filipino school, but I was wondering how students at Filipino schools do on the USMLEs? Anyone know average scores? Also, even though I'm a US citizen, would it be pretty hard for me to come back to the US for my training after med school? I've heard it's pretty tough for foreigners. Finally, are Filipino med schools good for training you, or should I try to take some extra classes and work real hard to get into a US school? Thanks

there's no official data that shows how well pinoy grads stack up against their IMG/US counterparts, you've gotta remember that filipino schools prepare you for the Filipino boards and not for the USMLEs. i know people who've gotten a 99 (double digit score) on step 1 on their first try and people who failed on their first and second try.

i would suggest that you work extra hard, and try the MCATs at least twice before even considering going to a foreign school.

Filipino medical schools offer good training and although it is tough for IMGs to get into certain programs a lot of people have done it, are doing it and will continue to do it.

just my dos pesos

Besides Filipino med schs, how bout looking at malaysian ones? ie. IMU/Monash malaysia/PMC etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know, I'm half-Filipino, so if I went anywhere outside the US, it would be there...but from talking to other people I know, it sounds like Filipino schools are kind of a last-resort option if I can't get into a US school. Is this true? People have told me that they are kind of primitive and backward and I wouldn't be able to come back to the US if I went to school there. My grades aren't good (mostly Cs, a couple B-s) and my MCAT was 21...would it be better to spend a couple years improving my application to get into a US school, or should I risk going to a Filipino school now?

Natataheako said:
I don't know, I'm half-Filipino, so if I went anywhere outside the US, it would be there...but from talking to other people I know, it sounds like Filipino schools are kind of a last-resort option if I can't get into a US school. Is this true? People have told me that they are kind of primitive and backward and I wouldn't be able to come back to the US if I went to school there. My grades aren't good (mostly Cs, a couple B-s) and my MCAT was 21...would it be better to spend a couple years improving my application to get into a US school, or should I risk going to a Filipino school now?

honestly, no one can make that decision for you. i think it'd be better if you at least tried for another year, enrol in a masters program. i wouldn't say the PI is primitive, just different, the people are different and the place is different. you're gonna have to be ready to adjust if you decide to go there.

graduates of filipino med schools make it into residency programs every year (most of em go for FM or IM), so you'll definitely be able to make it back.

you might wanna consider what the other poster said, IMU is a pretty good school, it's in malaysia though, if you have or if you can acquire a filipino passport before you apply (they won't let you return to north america for the last two years if you are a citizen or permanent resident of either the states or canada) they might let you complete the last two years somewhere in the states/canada (and you'll get to graduate with a north american degree). www.imu.edu.my

Natataheako said:

I dont think Philippines schools are the last resort. I think the only advantage in PI is that the tution fees is a lot cheaper than others. Based on some previous post by some FIL-ams who went here they were able to go back to US. However, you have to do extra effort in reviewing. :)

It's always better to try to get into one of the American schools. If you cannot wait and you can afford it, try the Caribbean schools (SGU,Ross,AUC,Saba). In the Caribbean,you only spend 2 years for your basic sciences and go back to the States for your clinicals. The Philippines is not necessarily a bad choice but it should not be your first choice. It's not that primitive either (many Caribbean islands are more backward) but it's definitely different.

Well...let me give my two cents...I am about to graduate from a Philippine school and I have already received a prematch offer from Yale-New Haven for general surgery. However, with that said, I also got an interview at Johns Hopkins Uni and I really liked the program so I have decided to enter the match....march 13th can't get any closer...

enough of my side note...I was in the same situation as you were 4 years ago. I got accepted to Univ of Michigan...however...I messed up my finanical aid during undergrad and I could not afford the tuition at U of M. A relative of mine told me to go to the PI for medical school and told me it was dirt cheap to get a MD degree (this I found out was inaccurate...because I have ended up spending 40K on med school). I studied like crazy during my first two years and I took the USMLE and aced it. During my 3rd year I took Step 2CK and in my fourth year I took the CS exam. Now I am ready for the match and I pray to GOD that I get into my top program. I am planning to fellow in plastic reconstructive surgery...

so my point is that Philippine med schools are not that bad. I am not the only example of this...many of my classmates have done the same. So with hard work you can do it too. Besides...we can do all of our clinicals in the states so three years in the PI is not that bad...(except for com med of course). GL to you. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello DocTan,

Im an IMG, non US citizen/ Non- GC and applied to gen surgery as well this year ( about 50 program, prelim and Cat ), but got NO calls. My score are not as great as yours ( mine are about 91 in average ), no US LOR and No Research. This year, you are a very great surgery applicants with more than 10 interviews which is extremely rare among foreign Med School Grads. Rejection is always..always huge for IMG, but as long as you can get any calls that is more than great. And your calls are from really excellent ones.

I am asking for your kindheart to share your experience to me about how to get into the surgery program, so i can do something better next year. I don't have to go to a very great program like yours ( Hopkins and Yale...wowww...congratulation !! :thumbup: ). Im more than happy in an average program. All your input, i do really appreciate !

Did you do a Phd Program while doing 2 visiting clerkship2 in New York in the same time? i read that you did rotation in Mount Sinai dan in Saint John NY.
If it is possible for me to do like you did in the NY Hospital, please let me know.

Thank you so much

Andi

IndoDoc said:
Hello DocTan,

Im an IMG, non US citizen/ Non- GC and applied to gen surgery as well this year ( about 50 program, prelim and Cat ), but got NO calls. My score are not as great as yours ( mine are about 91 in average ), no US LOR and No Research. This year, you are a very great surgery applicants with more than 10 interviews which is extremely rare among foreign Med School Grads. Rejection is always..always huge for IMG, but as long as you can get any calls that is more than great. And your calls are from really excellent ones.

I am asking for your kindheart to share your experience to me about how to get into the surgery program, so i can do something better next year. I don't have to go to a very great program like yours ( Hopkins and Yale...wowww...congratulation !! :thumbup: ). Im more than happy in an average program. All your input, i do really appreciate !

Did you do a Phd Program while doing 2 visiting clerkship2 in New York in the same time? i read that you did rotation in Mount Sinai dan in Saint John NY.
If it is possible for me to do like you did in the NY Hospital, please let me know.

Thank you so much

Andi

Hi Andi. My advice is to get your application in on the first day the ERAS opens so programs can download your application immediately. Secondly, apply to enough programs to get a good number of interviews. I don't think 50 programs are enough. I applied to 119 programs...got 70 rejections...23 interview calls. Don't just limit yourself to IMG friendly hospitals. Remember if they are IMG friendly, all the IMG's will apply to them and you have to compete with all of them. I took a chance on applying to Yale and Hopkins and I got lucky. You should try to get some US clinical experience because most programs are looking for that in your CV. Every interview I went on they asked about USCE. Try to at least get an observership in the US. I know of Jackson Park Hospital in chicago allows MD's to rotate to get some experience.

tantrum said:
It's always better to try to get into one of the American schools. If you cannot wait and you can afford it, try the Caribbean schools (SGU,Ross,AUC,Saba). In the Caribbean,you only spend 2 years for your basic sciences and go back to the States for your clinicals. The Philippines is not necessarily a bad choice but it should not be your first choice. It's not that primitive either (many Caribbean islands are more backward) but it's definitely different.

I am a pre-dent, but I though I throw in my 2C. The Philippines is the 2nd. largest country that produces MD's for the US after India!

tutankh said:
I am a pre-dent, but I though I throw in my 2C. The Philippines is the 2nd. largest country that produces MD's for the US after India!
The Philippines has the 2nd largest number because more of them are taking the exams (it's a country of about 90 million people with tons of medical schools) but Caribbean schools have a higher passing rate. Caribbean school grads also were able to match in competitive programs like Surgery. Check the websites of the top ones (St. George's, Ross, AUC), they have good matches. Ask all the Filipinos you know how many were able to match in Surgery in the last 10 years. I graduated from the Phil and I only know of 3-4 persons who were able to get into surgery. The only advantage of Phil. schools is the cost.

DocTan said:
Well...let me give my two cents...I am about to graduate from a Philippine school and I have already received a prematch offer from Yale-New Haven for general surgery. However, with that said, I also got an interview at Johns Hopkins Uni and I really liked the program so I have decided to enter the match....march 13th can't get any closer...

enough of my side note...I was in the same situation as you were 4 years ago. I got accepted to Univ of Michigan...however...I messed up my finanical aid during undergrad and I could not afford the tuition at U of M. A relative of mine told me to go to the PI for medical school and told me it was dirt cheap to get a MD degree (this I found out was inaccurate...because I have ended up spending 40K on med school). I studied like crazy during my first two years and I took the USMLE and aced it. During my 3rd year I took Step 2CK and in my fourth year I took the CS exam. Now I am ready for the match and I pray to GOD that I get into my top program. I am planning to fellow in plastic reconstructive surgery...

so my point is that Philippine med schools are not that bad. I am not the only example of this...many of my classmates have done the same. So with hard work you can do it too. Besides...we can do all of our clinicals in the states so three years in the PI is not that bad...(except for com med of course). GL to you. Hope this helps!

You're awesome. This inspires me.

Members don't see this ad :)
DocTan said:

I studied like crazy during my first two years and I took the USMLE and aced it. During my 3rd year I took Step 2CK and in my fourth year I took the CS exam. Now I am ready for the match and I pray to GOD that I get into my top program. I am planning to fellow in plastic reconstructive surgery...

DocTan, you're success story is truly amazing and inspiring. What medschool did you go to in the Phils?

marbok3891 said:
DocTan, you're success story is truly amazing and inspiring. What medschool did you go to in the Phils?

University of the East, Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center.

DocTan said:
University of the East, Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center.

first off...props to DocTan...did you end up matching at J.Hop?

secondly...while i think doctan's accomplishments are awesome i caution everyone to think that this can happen to anyone without having to work hard. keep in mind...this guy was a berkeley grad and was accepted to the university of michigan for med school which means the guy performs at a high level regardless of the institution he goes to. i surmise that he was either smart enough or worked hard enough or both to do well on everything.

so for the people who are contemplating the Philippines with stats that aren't up to par with a US medical school. while the philippines offers excellent training IMO...realize that when you get to the philippines you are also competing against a bunch of really smart pilipino people.

i guess my point being...don't just admire the fact that doctan went to the philippines and then prematched at yale and got an interview at hopkins...also realize that he/she bust their ass to get to that point. nothin comes easy.

no disrespect to anyone. just trying to be a realist here.

What UCLAMAN said was true, it's always an uphill climb being an IMG. BTW, I think Doctan matched in Temple.
I know some UP grads with 99's trying to get into a good IM residency who wont even try Surgery match due to visa issues. Some programs would not interview you regardless of scores if you need visa sponsorhip.

tantrum said:
What UCLAMAN said was true, it's always an uphill climb being an IMG. BTW, I think Doctan matched in Temple.
I know some UP grads with 99's trying to get into a good IM residency who wont even try Surgery match due to visa issues. Some programs would not interview you regardless of scores if you need visa sponsorhip.

he matched at an academic hospital...awesome...now if only i could do the same this year! :scared:

DocTan said:

That's awesome! I hope I can do that too! I'm on my internship..planning to take the MLE, but kinda being discouraged by the cost, the length of time waiting to be matched...and other opportunities in other countries. How did you prepare for it? You Filipino-Chinese? Thanx

UCLAMAN said:
first off...props to DocTan...did you end up matching at J.Hop?

secondly...while i think doctan's accomplishments are awesome i caution everyone to think that this can happen to anyone without having to work hard. keep in mind...this guy was a berkeley grad and was accepted to the university of michigan for med school which means the guy performs at a high level regardless of the institution he goes to. i surmise that he was either smart enough or worked hard enough or both to do well on everything.

so for the people who are contemplating the Philippines with stats that aren't up to par with a US medical school. while the philippines offers excellent training IMO...realize that when you get to the philippines you are also competing against a bunch of really smart pilipino people.

i guess my point being...don't just admire the fact that doctan went to the philippines and then prematched at yale and got an interview at hopkins...also realize that he/she bust their ass to get to that point. nothin comes easy.

no disrespect to anyone. just trying to be a realist here.

I completely agree. It's completely up to you. How you did at pre-med and med skol and how dedicated you could get. I wish I'd worked my ass as hard..and not just :sleep: most of the time :laugh:

lazy_eye said:
I completely agree. It's completely up to you. How you did at pre-med and med skol and how dedicated you could get. I wish I'd worked my ass as hard..and not just :sleep: most of the time :laugh:
Also, for USMLE, start preparing for it from day 1 of med school (that's what DocTan did) using First Aid as guide. You still have to do well on your school as the type of exams given by schools in Phil. may be different from USMLE type of questions.

lazy_eye said:
That's awesome! I hope I can do that too! I'm on my internship..planning to take the MLE, but kinda being discouraged by the cost, the length of time waiting to be matched...and other opportunities in other countries. How did you prepare for it? You Filipino-Chinese? Thanx

I took the kaplan course. read first aid, BRS, goljan patho. Did kaplan q bank, usmleasy, blackwell questions. 5000 in total for step 1. step 2ck i took kaplan, read first aid, boards and wards, crush the boards, did usmleworld questions bank, kaplan q bank, and harrisons mcq. 5000 questions in total. step 2 cs i showed up for the exam. Yes, I am filipino-chinese.

As for residency, it is tough. I am at a trauma level 1 center so every call I get slammed. No sleep. Running around like a chicken with my head cut-off. Pager goes off every 5 minutes for floor issues. Trauma alert and codes going on every hour. After 30 hours of call, I can barely stand-up. but thats the life a surgeon. and I love it! Oh and between all of that I get to operate all day! Thats always a plus!

Natataheako said:
With your stats it seems that DO school might accept you, I heard that they accepted some students with MCAT of 18. If you have some medical volunter experiences or a medical related job that would inc your chances of getting in.

I want to go to the PI for school for the costs and the environment; I want to experience living in another country for a while and with most of the schools accredited by U.S. medical boards I don't see why people view them as a last resort.

hindipilipino said:
I want to go to the PI for school for the costs and the environment; I want to experience living in another country for a while and with most of the schools accredited by U.S. medical boards I don't see why people view them as a last resort.

I like your opinion and your reasons for going.

hindipilipino said:
The only reason some students say that is that it might limit your choice of residency. But thousands of Filipinos are doing residency in the US in primary care fields. If in the future you want to become a surgeon or even anesthesiologist, you have to do extremely well on USMLE and do some US rotation. Otherwise I like the cost advantage as it will not put you in a big debt hole.

hindipilipino said:

yeah, your intentions are good. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. posted tips regarding NMAT on the other thread. hope you find 'em helpful

DocTan said:
I took the kaplan course. read first aid, BRS, goljan patho. Did kaplan q bank, usmleasy, blackwell questions. 5000 in total for step 1. step 2ck i took kaplan, read first aid, boards and wards, crush the boards, did usmleworld questions bank, kaplan q bank, and harrisons mcq. 5000 questions in total. step 2 cs i showed up for the exam. Yes, I am filipino-chinese.

As for residency, it is tough. I am at a trauma level 1 center so every call I get slammed. No sleep. Running around like a chicken with my head cut-off. Pager goes off every 5 minutes for floor issues. Trauma alert and codes going on every hour. After 30 hours of call, I can barely stand-up. but thats the life a surgeon. and I love it! Oh and between all of that I get to operate all day! Thats always a plus!

Impressive indeed. How you prepared and all. I should know you are Filipino Chinese. Masisipag and Matiyaga talaga sila. The top 2 in the recent Philippine boards are both Fil-Chi. Anyways, I'm reading the First Aid since clerkship I think. I'm also planning to take the Kaplan after I take the Phil. boards. Our curriculum in UST is problem based. Is that a disadvantage? Also, is it hard getting interviews at high-end hospitals if I'm planning to take internal medicine as my residency?

lazy_eye said:
Impressive indeed. How you prepared and all. I should know you are Filipino Chinese. Masisipag and Matiyaga talaga sila. The top 2 in the recent Philippine boards are both Fil-Chi. Anyways, I'm reading the First Aid since clerkship I think. I'm also planning to take the Kaplan after I take the Phil. boards. Our curriculum in UST is problem based. Is that a disadvantage? Also, is it hard getting interviews at high-end hospitals if I'm planning to take internal medicine as my residency?

Kaplan is great. A bit long. But worth it. I went to UERMMMC and we were also PBL. I found the USMLE to be much easier because of the experience with case based problem solving not just spoon fed information. I think through PBL you have to read a lot more on your own and analyze the info instead of memorizing facts. Internal medicine in the US has many open positions every year. However, university programs are very difficult to get into. I know some Indian docs who have triple 99 on the USMLE and can't get in. But never stop trying. Just know that you will have an uphill battle if you are trying to get into a university program, especially at high end programs.

DocTan said:
Kaplan is great. A bit long. But worth it. I went to UERMMMC and we were also PBL. I found the USMLE to be much easier because of the experience with case based problem solving not just spoon fed information. I think through PBL you have to read a lot more on your own and analyze the info instead of memorizing facts. Internal medicine in the US has many open positions every year. However, university programs are very difficult to get into. I know some Indian docs who have triple 99 on the USMLE and can't get in. But never stop trying. Just know that you will have an uphill battle if you are trying to get into a university program, especially at high end programs.

DocTan has a point. If you want to complete your USA residency at a prestigious university program (Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, UCSF, NYU, etc) or enter a competitive specialty (Dermatology, Plastic Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Radiology, Radiation Oncology, Ophthalmology, etc), then going to med school in the Philippines will significantly decrease your chances. Not zero...but close to zero.

I was raised in the USA. But my parents are from P.I. My parents encouraged me to attend a med school in P.I. It was cheap and I could learn more about my culture, ancestry, and language. I refused because I did not want to limit my residency options in the USA. I ended up attending an expensive middle tier private med school in the USA (total cost of education over $200,000)...my med school definitely was NOT as glamorous as Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, or UCSF by any means. But I did well in this expensive mid-tier school and now I'm in an excellent Dermatology residency program, one of the most competitive specialties in medicine (which I absolutely love!). I'm also located in beautiful California. I don't think I would have had this great opportunity if I went to med school in P.I.

...just my 2 cents...

lazy_eye said:
Even though it's difficult to get into top Internal Medicine programs, there's a lot of Universty programs that are still IMG-friendly. Examples are the SUNY's (Downstate-Brooklyn,Buffalo,Stonybrook), Albert Einstein/Montefiore, some Midwest programs (UIC,Rush-Presbyterian,Medical College of Wisconsin,St. Louis University, Univ. Missouri-Columbia). Otherwise you can go to any accredited community hospital program and do very well there and go into fellowship. As long as you become Board-certified, you can practice in so many places afterwards.

tantrum said:
The only reason some students say that is that it might limit your choice of residency. But thousands of Filipinos are doing residency in the US in primary care fields. If in the future you want to become a surgeon or even anesthesiologist, you have to do extremely well on USMLE and do some US rotation. Otherwise I like the cost advantage as it will not put you in a big debt hole.

Thanks for the encouragement Tantrum. You're really knowledgeable!

DocTan said:

Good to know. Thanks for the insight.

porokeratosis said:
DocTan has a point. If you want to complete your USA residency at a prestigious university program (Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, UCSF, NYU, etc) or enter a competitive specialty (Dermatology, Plastic Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Radiology, Radiation Oncology, Ophthalmology, etc), then going to med school in the Philippines will significantly decrease your chances. Not zero...but close to zero.

I was raised in the USA. But my parents are from P.I. My parents encouraged me to attend a med school in P.I. It was cheap and I could learn more about my culture, ancestry, and language. I refused because I did not want to limit my residency options in the USA. I ended up attending an expensive middle tier private med school in the USA (total cost of education over $200,000)...my med school definitely was NOT as glamorous as Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, or UCSF by any means. But I did well in this expensive mid-tier school and now I'm in an excellent Dermatology residency program, one of the most competitive specialties in medicine (which I absolutely love!). I'm also located in beautiful California. I don't think I would have had this great opportunity if I went to med school in P.I.

...just my 2 cents...

If say you were interested in Internal Medicine, which I am, would you have had a stronger consideration for PI. Thx.

RaaMD said:
If say you were interested in Internal Medicine, which I am, would you have had a stronger consideration for PI. Thx.

If I were interested in Internal Medicine (IM), then I still would have attended a USA med school. Even if it was the lowest ranked med school in the USA. These are the reasons why:
1) I believe the USA med school system is one of the best systems to learn medicine in the world. I would only attend a USA med school that's accreditted by the LCME (www.lcme.org). All US med school curriculums are regularly monitored by the LCME. If a med school is not up to LCME's high standards, then it loses its accreditation. Not all countries have a regulation and accreditting system such as the LCME (I don't know about P.I. though).
2) All my options are open for US residency training as a US med school graduate. But if I attend a foreign med school, then I significantly limit my future residency training options. As an FMG (or IMG), I'm usually limited to the primary care fields, like IM, Peds, or Family Practice. I don't like this...I always believe in keeping ALL my options open.
3) As a US med school graduate, I'm already set up in the USA medical system and very familiar with it. For FMG's (or IMG's), sometimes it is difficult to just get into the US medical system. Additionally, there is some stigma and some prejudice against FMG's (this may be a big reason why FMG's are usually limited to primary care fields). I don't like to be stigmatized either.
4) I was raised in the USA and consider it my home. I'm comfortable with American culture. I like to visit P.I. for vacation, but I don't consider it my home.
5) I know myself and I'm a naturally ambitious person. If I want to go into IM, then I would want to get the best training possible, which is usually at well-known reputable institutions such as Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UCSF, Mayo Clinic, etc. I know as a USA grad that I will have an opportunity to go to residency at these prestigious programs. Very few FMG's are considered for an interview from these prestigious programs.

In summary: If you're a US citizen (or permanent resident) and want to practice medicine in the USA, then I recommend going to a USA accreditted med school. I believe it's the best and easiest route. However, if you cannot get accepted into a US med school for whatever reason, then going to med school in another country such as P.I. is a viable option.

porokeratosis said:
If I were interested in Internal Medicine (IM), then I still would have attended a USA med school. Even if it was the lowest ranked med school in the USA. These are the reasons why:
1) I believe the USA med school system is one of the best systems to learn medicine in the world. I would only attend a USA med school that's accreditted by the LCME (www.lcme.org). All US med school curriculums are regularly monitored by the LCME. If a med school is not up to LCME's high standards, then it loses its accreditation. Not all countries have a regulation and accreditting system such as the LCME (I don't know about P.I. though).
2) All my options are open for US residency training as a US med school graduate. But if I attend a foreign med school, then I significantly limit my future residency training options. As an FMG (or IMG), I'm usually limited to the primary care fields, like IM, Peds, or Family Practice. I don't like this...I always believe in keeping ALL my options open.
3) As a US med school graduate, I'm already set up in the USA medical system and very familiar with it. For FMG's (or IMG's), sometimes it is difficult to just get into the US medical system. Additionally, there is some stigma and some prejudice against FMG's (this may be a big reason why FMG's are usually limited to primary care fields). I don't like to be stigmatized either.
4) I was raised in the USA and consider it my home. I'm comfortable with American culture. I like to visit P.I. for vacation, but I don't consider it my home.
5) I know myself and I'm a naturally ambitious person. If I want to go into IM, then I would want to get the best training possible, which is usually at well-known reputable institutions such as Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UCSF, Mayo Clinic, etc. I know as a USA grad that I will have an opportunity to go to residency at these prestigious programs. Very few FMG's are considered for an interview from these prestigious programs.

In summary: If you're a US citizen (or permanent resident) and want to practice medicine in the USA, then I recommend going to a USA accreditted med school. I believe it's the best and easiest route. However, if you cannot get accepted into a US med school for whatever reason, then going to med school in another country such as P.I. is a viable option.

I totally agree. I was born and raised in PI and came to the US as a green-card holder shortly after graduating from college (we lived in the US for some part of my childhood, but I consider PI my hometown.) I came to the US with every intention to go to med school. Having a BS from PI wasn't going to help but fortunately I have my master's degree from the US. I'm also taking my pre-reqs here. I'm trying my hardest to get into a US medical school for the reason being that this is my home now and my family is here (I'm married but have no kids yet). A lot of Filipino friends (including some IMG's who matched at my state school) have been encouraging me to go back to PI for med school primarily because of the lower cost of education, but since I want to practice here, I'd rather strive hard now to get into a US med school that have a seemingly harder time later as an IMG.

OP, just my 2 cents -I agree with the others, give it one more try. Try DO schools. Take a Special Master's Program. Take more upper-division bio classes to help up your GPA. Take the MCAT again. Good luck :luck:

My biggest concern is about USMLE performance. I mean, I've heard stories of doctors from the philippines who could not practice in the states because they couldn't pass the US. boards. How much of a concern should this be for me? They ended up being nurses here in the states instead.

RaaMD said:
My biggest concern is about USMLE performance. I mean, I've heard stories of doctors from the philippines who could not practice in the states because they couldn't pass the US. boards. How much of a concern should this be for me? They ended up being nurses here in the states instead.

From what I read in the long thread, the students who pass the board exams here did it through self-study.

RaaMD said:
That is why I encourage US pre-meds to try getting into an American meds school first. Even DO schools are better in terms of USMLE. SOme Caribbean schools also prep you well for USMLE.
The Filipinos I know who have problems with USMLE are those who are not used to the style of questions that USMLE asks. I also grew up in the Philippines and most schools from grade school to college empasize a lot of memorizations. If you studied in the US or grew up there,eventually you'll pass the USMLE if you prepare hard for it.

DocTan said:

I know, I've heard very, very few make it to university programs. I've been on top of the class since grade school, got latin honors during college and I was on the upper 10 percent of the batch during medicine proper but still I'm apprehensive about taking the USMLE because, they only give interviews to very, very few..but some people told me if I can't get in, do good in whatever hospital I was matched and then go for the university programs during fellowship. Thanks for the advice Doc Tan

DocTan said:
I also heard that IM's more open to accepting IMG's. Is that true?

Hi, so, I'm not sure if this thread is still alive, but here's to hoping.

I'm an incoming first year student in UERMMMCi, Class 2015. It's not PBL anymore (they did that from 1998-2006; props to DocTan for undergoing the better method, IMO), but it says in the site that they're doing half-trad and half-PBL now. I'm 100% Filipino and haven't studied anywhere outside the Philippines; have a US tourist visa but nothing else. My question is, when is it advisable to take Step 1 of the USMLE? (First year is pre-clinical subj; 2nd and 3rd are clinical subjects, but there isn't any hospital experience yet).

The way I understand it, these are the possibilities (if everything turns out as planned) right?

1. Take Step 1 after 2nd year in PI med school --> if you get a good score, now you're welcome to apply for US clerkship rotations in 4th year, and to get good LORs --> take Step 2 CS and CK after 3rd year --> take Step 3 after grad --> match for residency programs in the US successfully/ get interviews?
1.1 BUT: In Scenario 1, some people take an entire year off to review successfully for Step 1, right? Else they mess up the chance of performing well in Step 1 by just parallel reviewing, since the teaching and testing styles of US and PI med schools are different?​

2. Take Steps 1, 2 and 3 after graduating from med school in the PI --> apply for observership (?) in the US (the best you can hope for if you're not a student anymore, right?) --> lessen your chances of getting into a good residency program/ get interviewed?
2.2 But in Scenario 2, even though the med school grads will now have more time to review for the MLE, they can't apply for clerkships/electives/internships, with hands-on patient interaction anymore? Since they're grads already? And the best they can hope for is an observeship, which won't even allow them to get good LORs/ significant USCE for their residency applications?

So my main questions are:
1. Did I get those two scenarios right? What did I miss?
2. What other scenarios are there?
3. Finally, what would be more advisable?

Sorry if this is too long. At this point I have too much contradictory info and I can't plan properly, as a result. Thanks tons, to whoever can answer these.

Yes, those two scenerios are the general options, also I believe some take the 1st step after 3rd year. From everything I've read and ppl I've spoken with (including some docs here from PI), getting the highest score possible is of utmost importance. Whether that means taking it right after 2nd year while info is fresh, or waiting it out and prepping more - whatever you prefer.

I have read though, although I haven't verified with actual clerkship programs, that the step 1 is required to even do rotations in over 2/3 of the hospitals here.

Honestly, I can't "advise" you since I'm in a similar position (hoping to do well as an IMG) and haven't yet gone through the process. I also doubt that you'll get a reliable response on this (China/East Asia) forum since it's pretty inactive, but I'll let you know what I've decided for myself - I will parallel study the step material along with my first two years, and take the Step 1 right before 3rd year, with no breaks.

I believe the best way to set myself up for success is to keep schedule with U.S. students. Also, I've chosen carefully the test prep material that suits me best, and will just focus on those (BRS Physiology, etc.. First Aid, 2013 edition later).

If you have a background in Biochemistry/Cell Bio, physiology, genetics, you could probably start looking through the material you'll be responsible for on the step- it's not incomprehensible, really.

Ask around more, also in the general int'l forum since these questions are relevant for all IMG's. Good luck!

lmesina, thanks for replying. Good luck to you, too!

hi thank you for the very informative post . just one question . how possible is it for one to be in medical school in the Philippines and be able to attend interviews in the US.

Hi, so, I'm not sure if this thread is still alive, but here's to hoping.

I'm an incoming first year student in UERMMMCi, Class 2015. It's not PBL anymore (they did that from 1998-2006; props to DocTan for undergoing the better method, IMO), but it says in the site that they're doing half-trad and half-PBL now. I'm 100% Filipino and haven't studied anywhere outside the Philippines; have a US tourist visa but nothing else. My question is, when is it advisable to take Step 1 of the USMLE? (First year is pre-clinical subj; 2nd and 3rd are clinical subjects, but there isn't any hospital experience yet).

The way I understand it, these are the possibilities (if everything turns out as planned) right?

1. Take Step 1 after 2nd year in PI med school --> if you get a good score, now you're welcome to apply for US clerkship rotations in 4th year, and to get good LORs --> take Step 2 CS and CK after 3rd year --> take Step 3 after grad --> match for residency programs in the US successfully/ get interviews?
1.1 BUT: In Scenario 1, some people take an entire year off to review successfully for Step 1, right? Else they mess up the chance of performing well in Step 1 by just parallel reviewing, since the teaching and testing styles of US and PI med schools are different?​
2. Take Steps 1, 2 and 3 after graduating from med school in the PI --> apply for observership (?) in the US (the best you can hope for if you're not a student anymore, right?) --> lessen your chances of getting into a good residency program/ get interviewed?
2.2 But in Scenario 2, even though the med school grads will now have more time to review for the MLE, they can't apply for clerkships/electives/internships, with hands-on patient interaction anymore? Since they're grads already? And the best they can hope for is an observeship, which won't even allow them to get good LORs/ significant USCE for their residency applications?

Sorry if this is too long. At this point I have too much contradictory info and I can't plan properly, as a result. Thanks tons, to whoever can answer these.