USMLE scores important for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplecolor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
r usmle scores important when applying for fellowships?

my colleagues who r applying are boasting about their 99 scores and hence are including them in their CV.

I was thinking of just indicating usmle outcome as "pass" and mention year.

any inputs ?

Members don't see this ad.

It might depend. Some fellowships flat out ask you for your USMLE scores on their fellowship applications, so whether you want to include them or not you might have to. Maybe for the more competitive ones like dermpath it's a way of separating the wheat from the chaff.

The CAP standardized fellowship application asks for USMLE scores, but putting them on your CV is a no-no in my opinion. While fellowship directors may care what you made on step 1, employers generally couldn't care less and they are much more interested in what you bring to the table now. In fact, I think putting your scores down, even if they are good, could backfire on you and make it seem like you are a snob. If you got good board scores then you likely got into a good program and that will speak for itself. If all other things are equal (like interpersonal skills), practices are much more interested in getting a "Hopkins/MassGen/Stanford/Duke/USCF/BWH/etc/etc trained pathologist" than one who "made a 99 on Step 1".

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to some highly ranked programs and the USMLE scores were not a factor in the selection process. I did not include them in my application and I was granted interviews from these institutions. The important factors were publications, letters of recommendations and passing the USMLE Step 3.

I applied to some highly ranked programs and the USMLE scores were not a factor in the selection process. I did not include them in my application and I was granted interviews from these institutions. The important factors were publications, letters of recommendations and passing the USMLE Step 3.

In that order? How about RISE scores?

In that order? How about RISE scores?

No one should know your RISE scores except you and your program director to help guide you in studying. Anything else should be considered an abuse of the intent of the test. It is most definitely not meant to be used for fellowship selection or promotion or dismissal or public embarrassment or anything else that some residency programs try to use it for.

ok..i can put them in this order:

- Passing Step 3

- Letter of recommendations

- Publications.

I was never asked for RISE scores but I know some programs do.

I know of one fellowship director who screens applicants by USMLE scores. But, just like anything else, USMLE scores are just another line on your CV. If you did well, include them. If not, just say you passed Step 3 and leave the scores out. As said before, after fellowship nobody will care what your scores were.

Securing a fellowship is all about who you know. Having someone pick up the phone and make a phone call on your behalf is probably going to be more valuable than anything on the application form or CV.

Securing a fellowship is all about who you know. Having someone pick up the phone and make a phone call on your behalf is probably going to be more valuable than anything on the application form or CV.

Excellent advice. Additionally, knowing the fellowship director is just as valuable, IMO.

Regarding RISE scores, I have never heard of fellowship directors asking for them, and I agree that doing so would be abuse of the intent of that test (per my interpretation of comments made at Residents Forum by Dr. Rinder of the ASCP RISE Committee). If anyone asks for these, I would encourage you to report that to the ASCP (you could wait until after you were in fellowship, of course).

Regarding USMLE scores, I applied for dermpath at over 20 programs, including big names, and I think only 1 or 2 places asked for my actual Step scores. Most just wanted to know if I passed all 3. I agree that this is not something for your CV.

The only places I remember seeing USMLE scores asked for on fellowship applications were those which were really residency applications. Personally I don't think they're any more relevant for fellowship than SAT's.

zao i am also thinking of applying for dermpath next year- is it really as tough as people say? What do they look for in candidates?

I'm not surprised that some fellowships ask for them. Some of them even want copies of your dean's letter from medical school.

----- Antony

Our program director gives our RISE scores to the Chair of our department.

zao i am also thinking of applying for dermpath next year- is it really as tough as people say? What do they look for in candidates?

Good question. I have been meaning to write something about this for the wiki. So I used your question as a starting point to explain this. Here is the link:

http://pathinfo.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_Get_a_Dermatopathology_Fellowship

Also, here is the list of all the dermpath programs:

http://pathinfo.wikia.com/wiki/Dermatopathology_Fellowship_Directory