USMLE Scores: Put your money where your mouth is.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

automan2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems everyone on here if pretty hardcore, so in order to make things interesting, post your desired score and when things are over, we can look back and either smile or cry.......

My desired score: >235

My test date: June 19th

Started studying yesterday, will take NBME after I have gotten through FA next week.

Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

My goal is > 240. The indications are that I'll get somewhere in the low 230's though right now.

I would love to come to the US to practice Emergency Medicine but I am Canadian studying medicine in Ireland so I don't know how possible that will be - even with some good board scores =(.

I'd like to see 230+ cause I'm interested in radiology most at this point.

I got a 214 converted score on my first NBME self-assessment right after second-year finals and with no review (5/21/07). I plan to take my second assessment on Sunday now that I've reviewed everything. After that it's two days of First Aid and whatever the NBME says is my weakness.

Exam date: June 13th.
I got a 211 on my second NBME prep exam (Form 4) two days before the real thing.

Score report from the Dean's office today says 232, so I'm very pleased. :) It sure makes those crappy days in early June seem worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the scoop. I studied for both COMLEX and USMLE. Three and a half weeks for COMLEX and four weeks for USMLE. Two weeks in I took NBME form 2 and scored a measly 202. Thus I moved my USMLE back from June 8th to June 17th (for a full four weeks of study). Then I took COMLEX on June 12th.

My COMLEX came back as 586 and 88....not totally sure how to interpret that... Today I got my USMLE scores from the dean's office and it turned out to be 230 and 96.

When it's all said and done I was very happy with my scores and finally those four weeks of hell seem at least some what worth it. Now it's time to have a beer or two! Good luck to all...

I'm in, and I'm out to prove it can be done with less than 3 weeks of study time.

Goal: 240
Test Date: June 13
Gunning for Radiology in California, or EM if this test goes badly.

Got a 259. Don't know how, had to be some luck involved. Rads here I come!

Goal: 220
Test date: June 23
Specialty desired: OB/GYN (though that could change)

Updates:
NBME form 2 taken 6/1 (3 days into studying): 470/211
NBME form 4 taken 6/8 (10 days into studying): 490/216 (was hoping for more of an increase...)
NBME form 1 taken 6/17 (3 weeks into studying): 540/228 (I would be THRILLED with this score!)
150 Q's taken 6/21: 84/247 according to medfriends (This is probably insanely over-inflated, but wouldn't it be nice? :D)

Real deal: 224/93. Higher would have been nice (bummer my last NBME was higher), but I'm definitely satisfied. :D Yay Goljan & UW!!

Real deal: 224/93. Higher would have been nice (bummer my last NBME was higher), but I'm definitely satisfied. :D Yay Goljan & UW!!

Congrats on the great score!! And a sincere "thank you" for all of your help!!

It's bad form to post this after I've got my score, but here goes.

Goal Specialty: Undecided.
Goal Score: 235

79% on Kaplan Qbank.
85% on Released 150 (Didn't take them seriously though).
No NBME's.
MCAT 38.

Score: 259.

Very excited. Now the hard part is picking a specialty since I guess everything is still on the table.

If I had to give some advice...do your own thing. There's a lot of great advice on this site, but there's a LOT of people who seem to mindlessly repeat what others told them to do to the next generation. I used no USMLE World. I used no Goljan RR or audio. I read books that others thought were useless.

Are many of the sources others recommend useful? Absolutely. Will they turn a 210 score into a 270? I doubt it. Read the books and sources that you feel are helping you learn the most information, and retain/understand it. If it's the traditional stuff, more power to you. If it's not, don't think you're going to do poorly because you're not using "the" source.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the starter of this thread, i feel it's my duty to share that I think I am the only one "crying". It seems everyone has reached their goals, but I came up short. I guess my eyes were bigger than my brain.

Goal: 235
Actual Score: 227

I came close but didn't quite make it.

(Laugh it up little violent kitty, you know who you are)

As the starter of this thread, i feel it's my duty to share that I think I am the only one "crying". It seems everyone has reached their goals, but I came up short. I guess my eyes were bigger than my brain.

I'm sure you aren't the only one who didn't quite reach your goal. On the other hand, you did well. You beat the average, which is quite a feat in and of itself. As much as we want to think life hinges on our Step 1 scores, it doesn't. I have friends who have scored average on Step 1 and ended up at one of their top 3 choices in competitive specialties. Don't let the SDN bias get you down - you did well! Now go celebrate!

How did you do on the NBME's?

You talked a lot of smack to the DO's over this. But hey, I give you props for manning up and posting your score. I haven't even taken the test yet, but I'll follow through on my end once I get my results back.

So updating...

Satisfied: 220
Happy: 230
Thrilled: 240
Passed out, never in a million years gonna happen: 250

I hate to admit it, but I've been doing some cramming these last few days.
June 8, NBME 4 - 470
June 10, NBME 3 - 510
Let's see how much more information I can shove into my brain by 9am June 12.

:D 236/99

Indeed.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5136615&postcount=1

I asked only 8 of my DO classmates their scores so far, and all of them scored higher than you did (most with 99s). Give respect and you'll get it back.

If you actually read the thread, you will have a much greater understanding. Why you think I was trashing DOs I don't know.

I simply looked at the data on the USMLE site, and it says allopathic students have a much higher pass rate compared to DO students.

Many people offered educated answers to the question that was helpful.

Why a select few people were caught up in an ego contest I am not sure. The data is real, yet they felt the need to get personal.

The fact they are still harboring grudges months later makes me think this is a topic they are very sensitive too. It was their choice to go DO, be proud of it, don't act like whiny babies.

Why act like you have a chip on your shoulder with something to prove if you know in your own mind that your education is comparable?