USMLE Scores Ratings for schools

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by shirazsyrah, Feb 25, 2002.

1. shirazsyrah

shirazsyrah Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a med student applicant who is trying to find out what the average USMLE scores are for the schools I've applied to. Thus far, I've been accepted at MCP Hahnemann and Boston Univ. I just finished interviewing at Tufts and Georgetown. I've called AAMC and even they couldn't find the passing rate for the schools. Doesn't someone publish this stuff? It would help in deciding. I very much liked MCP (and Philly), but some people from Temple told a friend that MCP doesn't do well on the boards. Any MCPers out there who can clarify this? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Fah-Q

Fah-Q Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Average board scores are are not going to help you much. Top school have top students and those students are the type to study hard and do well on the boards. The school you attend has very little to do with your success on the boards. It's an individual test that has to do with how much effort you put into preparing. A school with a high average board score doesn't guarantee you anything, everyone has to work hard for their board score. Ignore average board scores but I would out about a school's schedule and how it fits with studying for the boards. Do the students get a lot of time off to study? Are students required to take it before 3rd year or can they take it later? Does the school offer any review courses? The answers to these questions I think will help you much more than average board score.

3. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

The reason that you can't find USMLE scores for different schools is because they are not published. Our school has never even told us what our average is yet, and I'm a second year, so I don't know if schools are even allowed to tell their own students their own average. If you liked MCP, don't go by what some people at Temple said about the students taking the boards there. They might have been just trying to promote their own school (rivalry), or perhaps the only student they know from MCP failed the boards (you can find a student from Harvard that failed the boards if you look hard enough). You should talk with students from MCP and ask them how they feel about the USMLE. If you can't get a response here, I would suggest contacting the admissions office, tell them that you are an accepted student and want to go to their school, but you want to meet with an upperclassman first. They should have a list of students that work with adcom that would be willing to meet with you, or e-mail with you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bonecutter

bonecutter Member
    7+ Year Member

While it is true that individual effort is the most important ingredient in good board scores, the school you attend can influence how well you do in two ways: 1. as was mentioned before by providing adequate time to prepare and 2. by preparing a curriculum that is complete and covers a broad enough range of topics in enough detail. The best way to find out about the latter is to talk to students who attend your school of choice and ask them how useful they felt their course material was in preparing for the big day. Good luck

Bonecutter

5. shirazsyrah

shirazsyrah Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to consider my question. I appreciate your input greatly. I'll post a question for MCPers and BUers as recommended by one of you guys. Thanks again.

6. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    nmsNIKITA ,

I understand what you are talking about....when I went for one of my interviews I asked my interviewer this question (the average scores on the USMLE both 1 & 2 and I also asked how the average USMLE scores compared to the national average, whatever that was) and he couldn't answer it. I was directed to one of the deans who still didn't the answer, I could tell that she felt sorta embarrassed being the dean and not having this type of information at hand. She looked it up later on and emailed me the answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. I am a Tufts student. I don't know our average score, but it is reportedly above the national average, and the first-time pass rate is about 98%. NYMC reportedly has a pass rate of 99% with excellent overall scores, and the school places a huge emphasis on board preparation from the very beginning. Maryland's board failure rate about 3-4 years ago was reportedly high, about 10% for first-time test takers, but I think the school has made an effort to improve this. Other than that I don't know much of what goes on at other schools, or if your USMLE score is a good indicator of the quality of education received.