USMLE scores- what PD expect??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valdas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i thought it would be intersting to discuss about mle scores - anyone has got any ideas what do programs expect from us???
:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, a score of 231 on the USMLE 1 (for an IMG) is that ok - can I get into a surgical residency with that?

this isn't the surgery board. maybe you should go ask over there if you are trying to get Surgery.

as for USMLE scores, i dunno if you can just generalise, because like others have said, there are many factors used as valid criteria for recruitment.

someone with a 230 and now particular interest in Path may not be selected over someone with a 195 and a genuine interest in Pathology.

things aren't so cut and dry. If it were something like Radiology, then you can safely say that an IMG would have to have a 240+ to be considered due to the competitiveness, but Path is not an uber-competitive field.

so the miscellaneous factors play a bigger part.

cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a step 1 or 2 minimum score other than passing?

And also are there scores that can guarantee serious consideration assuming you have any personality at all and can convey interest in the field.

There are no hard and fast rules. The higher the better of course, but I would say most residency programs don't have any specific set point where you are assured a spot or not (unless you never passed). The whole applicant is looked at not just one number.

Yup, depends on the program. The one I'm interested in has a minimum of 200, but I'm sure every place is different.

would you mind sharing what program that is that requires at least a 200? this may help some of us to get a general opinion of what scores are required for a certain level of program. thanks!