USMLE SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a "good" USMLE score? If you want to go into internal medicine or anesthesiology will 216/88 limit you? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

A 216 is currently slightly (ie, a couple of points) above the mean for Step 1. Traditionally, IM and Anesth are "easier" matches. However, obviously this does vary from program to program - IM at Hopkins is a more difficult match than some surgery programs.

However, with an average score you should be able to match to a fine program as long as you are realistic about applying to a good variety of programs.

A "good" score is usually defined with regard to the field in which you are applying. 216 is a good score for IM but would not likely be seen as a good score for a surgical specialty. Generally, the more competitive specialties require USMLE scores of > 1 SD above the mean.

best of luck.

Radiology has exploded in popularity and as such, generally requires higher USMLE scores nowadays.

There are ALWAYS exceptions - ie, some programs will be more competitive than others and most programs also review other aspects of your application. But I can tell you that with ERAS you can see what programs download on you and I'll be honest - some programs ONLY downloaded my USMLE scores, hence I have no doubt that programs DO evaluate candidates, at least initially, on this parameter.