DO2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 1999
Status (Visible)
What is a "good" USMLE score? If you want to go into internal medicine or anesthesiology will 216/88 limit you? :confused:

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A 216 is currently slightly (ie, a couple of points) above the mean for Step 1. Traditionally, IM and Anesth are "easier" matches. However, obviously this does vary from program to program - IM at Hopkins is a more difficult match than some surgery programs.

However, with an average score you should be able to match to a fine program as long as you are realistic about applying to a good variety of programs.

A "good" score is usually defined with regard to the field in which you are applying. 216 is a good score for IM but would not likely be seen as a good score for a surgical specialty. Generally, the more competitive specialties require USMLE scores of > 1 SD above the mean.

best of luck.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Radiology has exploded in popularity and as such, generally requires higher USMLE scores nowadays.

There are ALWAYS exceptions - ie, some programs will be more competitive than others and most programs also review other aspects of your application. But I can tell you that with ERAS you can see what programs download on you and I'll be honest - some programs ONLY downloaded my USMLE scores, hence I have no doubt that programs DO evaluate candidates, at least initially, on this parameter.

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.