1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Usmle Scores

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by slluurrrrpppp, Oct 29, 2002.

1. slluurrrrpppp

slluurrrrpppp Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i know of a lot of people who get 99s on their mle step1 but hardly anyone with anything close to that on stepII . is that the picture everywhere ? what are the best scores you have ever heard of ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ApacheIndian

ApacheIndian philomath
    10+ Year Member

I agree with your observation... I too have seen/heard of quite a few 240+/99s on Step 1, but relatively few on Step 2. In fact, I only once saw someone last year claim that he got a 99 (don't know the 3-digit) on Step 2, and that was on Medschool.com, so I don't know how reliable it was.

Well, as someone who scored 244/99 on Step 1 and who's preparing to take Step 2 next week, I can tell you first-hand that Step 2 preparation is proving much more difficult to me than it did for Step 1. I don't think Step 2 material is necessarily any "harder" than Step 1... but what it seems like is that Step 2 answers are less "cut & dry" than were Step 1 answers...

Well, hopefully I'll do o.k. regardless. I'll let you know next week :)...

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I imagine, as Dr. Cuts, notes, that most people don't study nearly as hard for Step 2 as they do for Step 1. Most are also trying to take the darn thing during the middle/end of 4th year, or really don't care much to do well especially if they've already matched somewhere.

Its certainly possible to do well on Step 2 (I did better on it than Step 1) but most just don't put forth the effort, IMHO.

5. slluurrrrpppp

7+ Year Member

thanks dr cuts , and best of luck , go crush this one too ( come back and tell me how ) .

kimberly , are you sure of this qoute :

i dont really think so . afterall stepp II IS much more extensive than step I . anyway , the thouhgt is encouraging .

6. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    From what I understand (as per Dr. Damjanov who's here at Ross lecturing this week), they are changing the format for Step I in the near future as well.

Step I will me more like Step II, which has more matching and multiple lists (of up to 12-14 items) from which to select. According to Damjanov, you are not able to employ the classic test taking strategies (e.g., eliminating the obvious, buzzwords, etc.) that can be used on the current, predominately five-responses, multiple answer format.

This may be a reason, in part, why the Step II scores are historically lower than Step I. However, the other reasons mentioned are equally valid.

-Skip

7. slluurrrrpppp

7+ Year Member

this thought scares me :

when would this near future be ?:eek:

8. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Of course, I'm sure. There is no reason why someone can't get 99 percentile on Step 2 - the testers don't make it impossible; students generally simply don't study enough, don't care enough or cannot manage the breadth of the material.

I found Step 2 MUCH easier to study for than Step 1 - the material was much more interesting to me, I'd just been through the clinical scenarios in vivo, and I didn't find the depth of information required anymore than what was required to pass the clinical rotations.

Just my two cents...