USMLE scoring question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please give me an idea of what passing, fair, good, and excellent step 1 scores are? I'm clueless.

Members don't see this ad.

USMLE Step I:

Passing: 182
Mean: 216
Standard Deviation: 21

So anything above a 216 will put you in the top half of testers. Anything above a 237 will put you in the top 16%. Anything above a 258 will put you in the top 2.5%.

I posted the breakdown of percentiles on another message board. Do a search for "Z table" and it should pop up. Or just search for my screen name and look for my posts. Keep in mind that the Z table percentiles I posted are estimates only.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the highest score possible is? Is it a 300? 270 (haven't heard of one higher before)?

I've heard rumors of someone scoring a 290, but who knows if that is true.

I think the score we get is a raw score. There are 350 questions total with about 50 questions being used for research. So theoretically there is a possible 300 score, but about 5-10 questions are usually omitted because of errors. So realistically 290 is the highest score possible under most circumstances.

That's my take on the whole scoring deal.

Absolutely Wrong about the score being raw.

The 3 digit is just as curved as the 2 digit, which is just as curved as a dude w/ Peyronie's Disease.

Geek-How do explain the 3 digit staying the same over the years? The USMLE (when i took step 1) was 4 books of 180 qs each (600+ qs). That year the mean was 210 w/ an SD of 15