TJDoc7

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Am taking step 1 in a week, just actually found out about possible transition period, starting "around may 15th" (official statement from usmle, so not a rumor or anything)...any idea on more specifics about this, how it will change the difficulty/scoring/potential #of multimedia question content?

Also...I know it says may 15th...but they seem pretty "vague" about the exact start date and everything...taking it 4/15/10...so should be banking on the same old, 48/block, 336 exam?

Any other thoughts, info on this?

DeeJay2728

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Am taking step 1 in a week, just actually found out about possible transition period, starting "around may 15th" (official statement from usmle, so not a rumor or anything)...any idea on more specifics about this, how it will change the difficulty/scoring/potential #of multimedia question content?

Also...I know it says may 15th...but they seem pretty "vague" about the exact start date and everything...taking it 4/15/10...so should be banking on the same old, 48/block, 336 exam?

Any other thoughts, info on this?
Wow... Let us know how it goes.

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The dean of our medical school brought this to our attention about a week ago. According to her, if you are taking the exam before June, you should count on the old format. If you are taking it at the end of June or later, you can expect the new format. Dates in between are up in the air.

Apparently this is changing because the reviewers found that the long prompt questions consistently take longer for students to read and complete than they had expected, so they want to cut the test length back a bit to adjust.

As for the effect on scoring...there will be fewer questions, but the total denominator will also be reduced (meaning that each question counts for more of your score). It is debatable as to whether this will make the exam more or less difficult.

turkeyjerky

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So are we just in the dark until we start the test and see how many questions there are?

My guess is that this change'll make it easier to pass, but harder to get a killer score.