USMLE Step 1 Advice - US MS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefullydoc117

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am 2nd year medical student at a mid-tier U.S. Md program (in-state) struggling with USMLE prep. We have an untiered P/F system. I've passed all my exams, but am having a hard time getting past the 70% mark in NMBE's. I started dedicated with a 171 and after 3 weeks, only increased to a 175, and then increased to a 195 after another week (4 weeks into dedicated). I'm 55% done with Uworld - around 60% correct. I have 3 more weeks to step 1. I've used BB, Pathoma and sketchy throughout the school year.

When I am taking NMBE's, it seems that I have small content gaps in all systems + memory/retrieval issues - e.g. I will recognize polycythemia vera in a question stem, but not be able to identify the correct answer in that moment. I am leaning towards deferring step.

Any advice on how to improve my score and/or any test tutoring services you'd recommend? I'm a first-gen student so money is tight, but I understand that this may be a necessary investment - and doesn't make a huge % change to my loans.

Any advice? My school starts M3 year in late April, and has built-in elective time, so I can defer 1-2 rotations without it impacting my graduation date. In addition, I'm pursuing a competitive specialty (and while I have already gotten involved with relevant research and have specialty-specific mentors), I am planning on taking a research year after M3 to work on my CV.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I am 2nd year medical student at a mid-tier U.S. Md program (in-state) struggling with USMLE prep. We have an untiered P/F system. I've passed all my exams, but am having a hard time getting past the 70% mark in NMBE's. I started dedicated with a 171 and after 3 weeks, only increased to a 175, and then increased to a 195 after another week (4 weeks into dedicated). I'm 55% done with Uworld - around 60% correct. I have 3 more weeks to step 1. I've used BB, Pathoma and sketchy throughout the school year.

When I am taking NMBE's, it seems that I have small content gaps in all systems + memory/retrieval issues - e.g. I will recognize polycythemia vera in a question stem, but not be able to identify the correct answer in that moment. I am leaning towards deferring step.

Any advice on how to improve my score and/or any test tutoring services you'd recommend? I'm a first-gen student so money is tight, but I understand that this may be a necessary investment - and doesn't make a huge % change to my loans.

Any advice? My school starts M3 year in late April, and has built-in elective time, so I can defer 1-2 rotations without it impacting my graduation date. In addition, I'm pursuing a competitive specialty (and while I have already gotten involved with relevant research and have specialty-specific mentors), I am planning on taking a research year after M3 to work on my CV.

Thank you
Don’t have an answer , but I am in the same boat . Definitely want to see what others say .
What I’ve been doing (step in June) is making anki cards on stuff I did wrong . GOOD cards- brief Diagnosis, TReatment, differential . I felt like it has been helping . So I try to go through 80-100 questions a day, anki cards out of them , and review cards every day

If you are applying for a competitive speciality you want to save those elective times for aways and etc. You need to really increase your Uworld volume. Your scores will go up the more Uworld you do. So really try finishing Uworld. That is your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take one of the Uworld self assessments, they’re much better predictors of scores than the NBMEs.

Reactions: 1 users
But beware that UWSA 1 over predicts
My n=1 experience, both my UWSA overpredicted, but only by a couple points. My NBMEs were always 20-30 points below what I ended up scoring.

My n=1 experience, both my UWSA overpredicted, but only by a couple points. My NBMEs were always 20-30 points below what I ended up scoring.
Same. Uwsa2 was only off by a couple points though.

uwsa1 under predicted but I had some gaps at that point