USMLE Step 1 during first rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JF_chi_1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
We start rotations early July, and I am not scoring what I wish to. My first rotation is office-based pediatrics. Do you think it is realistic to study for step1 during this rotation? Apologies if there is already a thread on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
We start rotations early July, and I am not scoring what I wish to. My first rotation is office-based pediatrics. Do you think it is realistic to study for step1 during this rotation? Apologies if there is already a thread on this.

Pediatrics deserves your full attention if you don't want to hurt your step 2/shelf. I would not recommend it.

Reactions: 1 user
Do your shelf scores and rotation feedback comments make their way into your deans letter?

A lot of people in my class who delayed step 1 got blindsided by that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time to give up the USMLE or ask for a LOA. If you can't score where you want while having dedicated study period, what makes you believe you'll be able to when doing a rotation?

Reactions: 1 users
Time to give up the USMLE or ask for a LOA. If you can't score where you want while having dedicated study period, what makes you believe you'll be able to when doing a rotation?
I know where I went wrong and there was some pretty big family issues. The point of the post was to see if it was doable without LOA, not to get some backhanded dickhead comment.

Reactions: 2 users
I know where I went wrong and there was some pretty big family issues. The point of the post was to see if it was doable without LOA, not to get some backhanded dickhead comment.
If you ask stupid questions, you get the corresponding answers. Just look at how you're asking if it's "doable" as if anyone here will know how much you know, your capacity to improve and the demands of your rotation.

Take the LOA. Sounds like something in your life happened that would affect any reasonable person. When it comes time to apply for residency, that will be considered. Don't try to study for Step 1 during your rotations. You will almost certainly make things worse for yourself.

Ask someone who's been through the same rotation site what the time commitment is. If it's weekdays and you're out by 2/3pm then yeah I think it's possible to do both. That's also assuming you're studying from 3pm to midnight everyday and then doubling up on the weekend. So while I say it's possible, it won't be easy. If you slack, you'll be digging yourself a bigger hole.

Reactions: 1 users
Pediatrics deserves your full attention if you don't want to hurt your step 2/shelf. I would not recommend it.
It's tough to comment on whether you should try and study/take USMLE during rotations because there are so many factors. Of those factors this reason could not be any further from the top. Peds shelf can be prepared for in 3 days. Step 2 peds knowledge will come when you study for step 2 and nothing you learn this month will be in your memory in 10 months.

It's tough to comment on whether you should try and study/take USMLE during rotations because there are so many factors. Of those factors this reason could not be any further from the top. Peds shelf can be prepared for in 3 days. Step 2 peds knowledge will come when you study for step 2 and nothing you learn this month will be in your memory in 10 months.

Our experiences clearly differ!

Maybe it was just me, but just getting through Peds UWorld alone took more than 3 days...

Lessons learned from Step 1 shouldn't be forgotten. The best way to take advantage of your dedicated board study time (if you have one, my school did not offer that privilege) is by studying hard during your first pass of the material when you have the relative abundance of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I took step 1 after the holiday break during 3rd year and scored much better than I would have after dedicated study time. I found rotations helped on the pathology questions and just did a couple Uworld sets on the weekends and then picked up the pace over the holidays. I never felt stressed out doing that with rotations. Also, now that I'm studying for step 2, It's nice having the info where step 1 and 2 overlap fresh in my mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. Amazing. Is the edit I made to my post sufficient for you?

It's 'aight. I would counter by saying that uworld peds is not necessary for the COMAT. I personally did it because I had plenty of time and no other pressing issues to deal with. Even if you took a small hit on the peds shelf (which isn't even a certainty because 10 hours of combank/comat questions and meded is enough for a solid pass), that's meaningless in comparison to HAVING a USMLE score. A fact that, while many on this board love to minimize, will be massive, especially as we get closer to complete merger.

It's 'aight. I would counter by saying that uworld peds is not necessary for the COMAT. I personally did it because I had plenty of time and no other pressing issues to deal with. Even if you took a small hit on the peds shelf (which isn't even a certainty because 10 hours of combank/comat questions and meded is enough for a solid pass), that's meaningless in comparison to HAVING a USMLE score. A fact that, while many on this board love to minimize, will be massive, especially as we get closer to complete merger.

Exactly. Don't skip out on step 1 just to have better shelf scores that may or may not even be reflected on your residency app.

I took step 1 after the holiday break during 3rd year and scored much better than I would have after dedicated study time. I found rotations helped on the pathology questions and just did a couple Uworld sets on the weekends and then picked up the pace over the holidays. I never felt stressed out doing that with rotations. Also, now that I'm studying for step 2, It's nice having the info where step 1 and 2 overlap fresh in my mind.
How did you do? I do not have a large sample size of people that took USMLE 1 off cycle. Would love to hear a success story.

How did you do? I do not have a large sample size of people that took USMLE 1 off cycle. Would love to hear a success story.

230's. Not phenomenal, but if I had to guess I probably would have scored about 210 after dedicated study based on NBME performance. I had a nice rotation schedule that helped. All my stressful rotations came after the holidays.

230's. Not phenomenal, but if I had to guess I probably would have scored about 210 after dedicated study based on NBME performance. I had a nice rotation schedule that helped. All my stressful rotations came after the holidays.
This is a classic example of a solid salvage. Turned an unfortunate situation into a manageable one with realistic and objective decision making combined with extra work. Solid job.

Edit: The matching prospect differences of a DO with a 230 vs DO with 210/no USMLE are massive.

*shrug* I think delaying the start of 3rd year would be optimal for both Step 1 and 2.

*shrug* I think delaying the start of 3rd year would be optimal for both Step 1 and 2.

Delaying the start of 3rd year for more time to study for step 1 (when a handful of people do this successfully DURING 3rd year) is a terrible reason for a LOA and will be pretty difficult to explain to residency programs with a straight face.

Delaying the start of 3rd year for more time to study for step 1 (when a handful of people do this successfully DURING 3rd year) is a terrible reason for a LOA and will be pretty difficult to explain to residency programs with a straight face.

I would agree if this person didn't have some significant, negative family/life event.

Only OP can say if any reasonable 3rd party would agree that a LOA is warranted. I took them at face value.

I would agree if this person didn't have some significant, negative family/life event.

Only OP can say if any reasonable 3rd party would agree that a LOA is warranted. I took them at face value.

The only problem is that it seems the family/life event was in the past, and the time to take the LOA would have been when it happened. It's too late to try and make up for lost time when at his point they are on equal footing as anyone else wanting to take step 1 during 3rd year.

The only problem is that it seems the family/life event was in the past, and the time to take the LOA would have been when it happened. It's too late to try and make up for lost time when at his point they are on equal footing as anyone else wanting to take step 1 during 3rd year.

I guess... I mean say for example a loved one passed during my dedicated. I don't think I'd have much qualms about taking a 4 week leave of absence to make up for that. And I really do believe that it wouldn't be viewed that harshly.