USMLE USMLE Step 1 First Aid Supplement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxcrunner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are good resources to supplement First Aid? Of course almost everyone uses Pathoma and Uworld, but I am looking for more of a review book that will flush out the concepts in First Aid in a bit more detail. This way I can review the concepts/see the big picture rather than just memorizing a laundry list of information for First Aid. I plan to do some initial prep this summer before 2nd year starts and annotate my First Aid book.

Some other books out there:
Kaplan Lecture Notes
Crush Step 1
First Aid Organ Systems and Basic Science
BRS (Board Review Series)
High Yield Books
Sketchy Micro/Pharm

Members don't see this ad.

Sketchy for sure. Otherwise, imo hammer down the concepts in first aid. However you do that is up to you. Google/wiki/youtube is a great way to do it. I'd say FA might be a little weak in phys, so BRS phys may be a good idea as well. Understanding the stuff is key. The more you read about it, the better you'll know it.

Reactions: 1 user
What are good resources to supplement First Aid? Of course almost everyone uses Pathoma and Uworld, but I am looking for more of a review book that will flush out the concepts in First Aid in a bit more detail. This way I can review the concepts/see the big picture rather than just memorizing a laundry list of information for First Aid. I plan to do some initial prep this summer before 2nd year starts and annotate my First Aid book.

Some other books out there:
Kaplan Lecture Notes
Crush Step 1
First Aid Organ Systems and Basic Science
BRS (Board Review Series)
High Yield Books
Sketchy Micro/Pharm

KLN have been okay for me as far as fleshing out the stuff in FA. I've also been digging deep into (gasp) my old preclinical notes.

KLN have been okay for me as far as fleshing out the stuff in FA. I've also been digging deep into (gasp) my old preclinical notes.

Do the Kaplan Lecture Notes follow the First Aid book well? I've heard Kaplan doesn't make many changes between editions and therefore may have irrelevant information or miss important concepts.

Do the Kaplan Lecture Notes follow the First Aid book well? I've heard Kaplan doesn't make many changes between editions and therefore may have irrelevant information or miss important concepts.

I haven't done enough Qbanks or NBME's to really say what's high yield or low yield. It doesn't really follow the format of FA, I just Ctrl+F when I need further reinforcement on a subject I see in FA. It does seem to leave out some things that appear in FA and it goes into further detail on some concepts to the point where it may be too much, but for the most part, I think it does a good job explaining concepts when you need more than the shopping list that is FA. I mainly use it because it's hard for me to retain information without context and the complete picture. I would never read the whole thing straight through though, that would take forever.

Reactions: 1 user