USMLE STEP 1 in COLLEGE?! (PREMED!!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think OP is overqualified for medical school

I think OP is overqualified for SDN.
Reddit r/premed seems more their speed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like I'll have to spell it out for you.

I go to Princeton or Cornell.

I don't want to get anymore specific as it might reveal my identity.

And tons of my friends and peers struggle immensely with the prereqs. Science just so happens to be an extreme forte of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
FWIW, Cornell isn't as godly as it seems. A number of Cornell kids ALWAYS transfer sophomore year to my home school because pre-med at cornell is "too tough" so at my "garbage school" it'll be a joke. Jokes on them because our pre-medical classes are insane for grade deflation. Class average on midterm = 27, but an A is still set at a 96+. Now that I'm done making fun of Cornell, I have one piece of advice:

You state your practice exams are 520+ and thus you want to begin Step 1 Prep. I'm going out on a long shot here, but, if that's really your goal, fine. You've already proven you have a competitive GPA. Go and take your MCAT, and come back to us with a score. This will help us gauge you in your rather odd plan (but not "bad" per se). If you go and get a 501 on your MCAT, the discussion ends right here.

So either none of the med students who use SDN think that this plan makes any sense at all, or everyone here listing themselves as med students and posting about medical school for years are just frauds here to bamboozle you. I guess you can believe whatever you want.
Like believing you're not a serial killer....
Anyone can hop on here and claim they're a med student.
Current M2 at a Boston med school that's not HMS. Which is why I had a 3.7 sGPA from a state school and am 15 lbs overweight.

Look, @The Broccoli Industry the reason you are getting s**t on here is that even though you aren't trying to troll, your presentation, delivery, as well as the questions you put forward seems pompous and arrogant . You carry all the marks of the gunners some of us have in our class. I asked what you do for fun and your first response is not "I enjoy lifting/crossfit, etc" but rather, even my hobbies are world-class. It's not a competition. You seem to have a spoil of riches be it your science acuity, your fitness, your family wealth, and you seem to know it too. I'm not sure what your end game on here is with your posts except to validate your greatness.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, you forgot that every practice MCAT OP's ever taken is over 520.

Don't sell him/her short!
And since OP still has some time until the real exam, he should get a 530+

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
FWIW, Cornell isn't as godly as it seems. A number of Cornell kids ALWAYS transfer sophomore year to my home school because pre-med at cornell is "too tough" so at my "garbage school" it'll be a joke. Jokes on them because our pre-medical classes are insane for grade deflation. Class average on midterm = 27, but an A is still set at a 96+. Now that I'm done making fun of Cornell, I have one piece of advice:

You state your practice exams are 520+ and thus you want to begin Step 1 Prep. I'm going out on a long shot here, but, if that's really your goal, fine. You've already proven you have a competitive GPA. Go and take your MCAT, and come back to us with a score. This will help us gauge you in your rather odd plan (but not "bad" per se). If you go and get a 501 on your MCAT, the discussion ends right here.

Lol and what is this brutal home school that deflates so? This "garbage school" that makes former Ivy leaguers cower in the face of an unforgiving curve?

I can understand if you envy a bit those applicants that get that top UG advantage during the process and if it helps you sleep better at night telling yourself that your home premed program is the beast of the land, then go for it.

Last edited:
Lol and what is this brutal home school that deflates so? This "garbage school" that makes former Ivy leaguers cower in the face of an unforgiving curve.

I can understand if you envy a bit those applicants that get that top UG advantage during the process and if it helps you sleep better at night telling yourself that your home premed program is the beast of the land, then go for it.
dear lord

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

OP, I trust that you are great. Plz forget what people said on this forum. They are just jealous of you, who are such a genius.
I believe that you have already recognized that most SDNer's suggestions will be like a grain of salt.
However, I'm different, as I really think you are ready to take USMLE. Just go ahead!
If you aced the USMLE, I bet that top 10 medical schools would beg you to matriculate to their medical schools. So Go Fight!~:claps:

Reactions: 1 user
Lol and what is this brutal home school that deflates so? This "garbage school" that makes former Ivy leaguers cower in the face of an unforgiving curve?

Will be keeping the UG private. Its not so much bashing the ivy name, or the boost it offers; I'm simply stating my home school tends to deflate GPA quite a lot and a lot of students from one of the two schools you mentioned tend to show up here :p.

Will be keeping the UG private. Its not so much bashing the ivy name, or the boost it offers; I'm simply stating my home school tends to deflate GPA quite a lot and a lot of students from one of the two schools you mentioned tend to show up here :p.

You tend to mention often that your state UG has a rigorous and deflating premed program that rivals schools Iike MIT, Princeton and Cornell. You seem to talk the talk, but if you can't say what UG that is, then you can't really show that your school walks the walk. It's not that it's not possible, I'm just very skeptical given that you never reveal the school. Though given that many Cornell students transfer there, it's probably some NY school like Buffalo, Albany or Stony Brook and I wouldn't particularly call their programs brutal and deflating if it's those schools.

You tend to mention often that your state UG has a rigorous and deflating premed program that rivals schools Iike MIT, Princeton and Cornell. You seem to talk the talk, but if you can't say what UG that is, then you can't really show that your school walks the walk. It's not that it's not possible, I'm just very skeptical given that you never reveal the school. Though given that many Cornell students transfer there, it's probably some NY school like Buffalo, Albany or Stony Brook and I wouldn't particularly call their programs brutal and deflating if it's those schools.

Regardless of the identity of the school in question, I did actually comment re: your question about USMLE as a college student. I do hope the advice helps!