USMLE Step 1: now P/F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha
Are you telling me gunner MDs are going to go through OMM in order to take the COMLEX?

Haha. No.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I also wonder, in some way, that if COMLEX remains a scored exam, if this actually helps DOs. Like, if applying for rotations and someone has a high COMLEX score, if more competitive fields will now take that person over the P/F USMLE candidate? I just don't know otherwise how fields that put so much emphasis on Step 1 scores will choose candidates to rotate?
Comlex will copy USMLE within a year. They always do. But even if they didn’t, the wide variability in scoring year to year along with the limited pool will still cause distrust.

Comlex will copy USMLE within a year. They always do. But even if they didn’t, the wide variability in scoring year to year along with the limited pool will still cause distrust.

Yeah I expect them to follow suit. If anything, they should make one COMLEX exam, then just have all their students take USMLE step 2. That would be nice. Though I doubt it will happen.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but we'd still have to take Step 1 because its now a requirement for CK >.>
It's almost as if NBME thought about that and didn't want to lose their Step 1 exam $.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah but we'd still have to take Step 1 because its now a requirement for CK >.>
It's almost as if NBME thought about that and didn't want to lose their Step 1 exam $.
1581556574039.png

that is pretty funny. They have given COCA the shaft and the finger.

Yeah, in EM we rely heavily on SLOEs so I doubt it will change a ton about how you rank anyone. The problem will be in selecting people for rotation and having students rotate at places they are actually competitive for, which will be a bigger issue. Programs that do emphasize boards will have Step 2 back by the time interviews go out so interview/rank won't be the issue. The big change will be competitive EM programs and how they decide who to let rotate. Because many places have a board cutoff for rotation/interview. So now you may be able to get a rotation at a place, but then when your score comes back, they won't interview you. There will be no way to select out people you have no intention on ranking based on their scores because the scores won't be back until after their AIs. So that really hurts the students. It would stink wasting your AIs on places that potentially won't rank you.
You think more specialties will adopt the EM SLOE model? seems effective in identifying students who are strong clinically, and are good fits for specific programs.

You think more specialties will adopt the EM SLOE model? seems effective in identifying students who are strong clinically, and are good fits for specific programs.

Don’t assume that SLOE is the great equalizer. If you are a DO and get your SLOE from UT Dell, you will get a below average SLOE regardless of your performance.

There are other institutions with similar bias.

Don’t assume that SLOE is the great equalizer. If you are a DO and get your SLOE from UT Dell, you will get a below average SLOE regardless of your performance.
Mind elaborating on that?

I’m interested to see if this causes medical schools to care less about the MCAT, since I assume they selected high MCAT scores to maintain a high step 1 average. Doubt it would affect admissions committees mid cycle now but maybe next cycle. (Though we wouldn’t see that data until MSAR 2023 or something)
No. The literature of MCAT correlation with passing step one and successfully completing medical school without failure. They will continue to rely upon it.

Reactions: 1 users
The negative effect will likely be spread across all specialties.

I would NOT go the do route now that there won’t be a metric to compare yourself against MD counterparts... this decision is really bad for us
Most people are not getting 250s . Dos have a higher step 1 failure rate and a lower step average. Yes there are some outliers that will probably be negatively impacted. But the sky is not falling and normal attainable specialties will remain attainable like anaesthesia obgyn etc. Smaller fields will be a though boat to row , and the game will change. But those fields were difficult for even the extremeoutliers at md schools like neurosurgery, ir, optho , uro.

Reactions: 2 users
Most people are not getting 250s . Dos have a higher step 1 failure rate and a lower step average. Yes there are some outliers that will probably be negatively impacted. But the sky is not falling and normal attainable specialties will remain attainable like anaesthesia obgyn etc.

This is the correct takeaway. This sucks for the handful of people who scored >240 on STEP 1 because now they won't be able to stand out as a DO applicant. However the vast majority of DO students score average or below average on STEP 1, and it ends up not making them competitive. The reason this sucks for everyone is that it's all but guaranteed that DO students will have to take STEP 2 CK in order to get invites. That wasn't mandatory in the past, but now STEP 2 scores will become the method of weeding out applicants. Most programs do not care about COMLEX and don't know what an above-average COMLEX score is, so we will have to double up in a similar fashion to STEP 1.

I need a source for this. Cause I cannot find it, the only one that requires step 1 was CS(the PE equivalent) which we don’t need.

I need a source for this. Cause I cannot find it, the only one that requires step 1 was CS(the PE equivalent) which we don’t need.
Yeah, I just checked; it says step 1 for CS only.

Yeah, I just checked; it says step 1 for CS only.

People need to be careful with that kind of false info lol. Learning DOs need to go through 4 tests instead of 3 is enough to start a riot.

People need to be careful with that kind of false info lol. Learning DOs need to go through 4 tests instead of 3 is enough to start a riot.
Agree, I had to go delete some posts in another thread. We don’t need that kind of misinformation.