USMLE Step 1 -- Pass / Fail Starting Jan 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abraxes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

"The USMLE program will change score reporting for Step 1from a three-digit numeric score to reporting only a pass/fail outcome. A numeric score will continue to be reported for Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) and Step 3. Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) will continue to be reported as Pass/Fail. This policy will take effect no earlier than January 1, 2022 with further details to follow later this year."

-from the USMLE website

How do people think this will affect the competitiveness of DO applicants in applying to residency now that DO students can no longer stratify themselves on the basis of STEP 1. Especially considering the lack of AOA residencies post-merger.

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Nothing but bad news for the DO class of 2024 :(

Reactions: 8 users
I guess the sky is actually falling now

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is just stupid. Programs are probably just gonna use step 2 now to filter out the bottom tier of applicants. No way they're actually going through a thousand applications. Seriously this is the kind of mind bogglingly stupid decision you could only come to expect from our licensing orgnizations. What are all those meetings and reviews for? It's like they get paid to sit around and drool. All this so that students will start paying more attention to the mind numbing garbage being taught by PhDs at lectures like 15 minute tangents about whatever boring research they did 20 years ago. You can be sure the med schools had a lot to do with this decision. I cant even with this crap. Medical education is a joke. Good luck to the next generation.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 14 users
glad im class of 2023:confused:. they wont change my grade to P/F after i take it (2021), right?

Reactions: 2 users
So the MD/DO class of 2024 would be the first official class to take the Step 1 exam with this change, right?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
glad im class of 2023:confused:. they wont change my grade to P/F after i take it (2021), right?

No one knows if after Jan 2022 they plan on retroactively changing all Step 1 to P/F.

Time to take a screen shot, save the print out report of your score, laminate it, and send it to every residency program in the country you are applying to ASAP.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Time to take a screen shot, save the print out report of your score, laminate it, and send it to every residency program in the country you are applying to ASAP.
lets see what i score first (fingers crossed);)

Freal lol.

Reactions: 1 user
This is just stupid. Programs are probably just gonna use step 2 now to filter out the bottom tier of applicants. No way they're actually going through a thousand applications. Seriously this is the kind of mind bogglingly stupid decision you could only come to expect from our licensing orgnizations. What are all those meetings and reviews for? It's like they get paid to sit around and drool. All this so that students will start paying more attention to the mind numbing garbage being taught by PhDs at lectures like 15 minute tangents about whatever boring research they did 20 years ago. You can be sure the med schools had a lot to do with this decision. I cant even with this crap. Medical education is a joke. Good luck to the next generation.
Tell me how you really feel

You know who will really get hosed even more than us? Caribbean students

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So the MD/DO class of 2024 would be the first official class to take the Step 1 exam with this change, right?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter if you have a score or not. Scores will be reported P/F after January 2022. So if you are applying to residency in 2022 your score will almost assuredly be listed as P/F.

Reactions: 3 users
Doesn't matter if you have a score or not. Scores will be reported P/F after January 2022. So if you are applying to residency in 2022 your score will almost assuredly be listed as P/F.
Rip dreams of competitive residency

If that were the case I feel like they would just implement the change now or as soon as possible. What’s the point in us getting scores now if they’re just gonna remove it.

If that were the case I feel like they would just implement the change now or as soon as possible. What’s the point in us getting scores now if they’re just gonna remove it.

Probably to work out the kinks, and give time to programs and meds schools to adjust to the change (requirements, curriculum, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I agree with @AnatomyGrey12 . I think class of 2022 (so applying to residency in 2021) will be the last to apply with scores. If they allow class of 2023 to apply with their scores, you'll have some people with scores if they are in a traditional curriculum that takes Step after M2, and some without if they're in a curriculum that takes it after M3. I think this would be too complicated and the people without the scores would feel like they are getting shafted, so solution is no scores for anyone after class of 2022.

Reactions: 5 users
wow. At least I dodged one bullet.

Wow. The oven heat setting has been raised by 10 C for the Class of 2022 and later.

The only good news is that the smirk faces FM DO admin docs can stop butt cheek air five each other for every new DO school opening.

Rip dreams of competitive residency

Time to be truthful to your DO tenet of meeting the PCP shortage in rural communities that you said during your DO interviews.

They need 240-250 Step 1 FM docs.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 12 users
So class of 2022 is safe then right? Cause we will be applying prior to January 1st, 2022. Residencies will already have our applications by then.

Time to be truthful to your DO tenet of meeting the PCP shortage in rural communities that you said during your DO interviews.

They need 240-250 Step 1 FM docs.
Oh ive wanted to do IM for a long time. Just not sure if i want to go rural lol. I would hope i have a choice in location.

kals;df;lkasjdf;lkjsad;lkfja;lkdsjf;alskdjf;alskjdfaposnhufapsodnufpanuf

Those are my feelings.

So if DOs take the COMPLEX step 1 that’s still scored, could potentially a high score on that look better than a pass on the USMLE step 1 for residency match?

So if DOs take the COMPLEX step 1 that’s still scored, could potentially a high score on that look better than a pass on the USMLE step 1 for residency match?

MD programs won't give a crap about your COMLEX score.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Not really true, I interviewed at a prestigious MD program that has no DO’s that talked more about my comlex than any of the “DO friendly” programs did.

My knee jerk reaction is to agree with you. However I could totally see a savvy applicant point out how they got 70th percentile on their Comlex or whatever to be seen a more competitive applicant.

At most MD programs, and for most non competitive residencies, over 90% end up passing/ matching. I don't think this will impact things too much, but it will take off a lot of the stress. They will probably just treat everyone as if they got a 230, which is sufficient to get into most non competitive specialties.

So now a) Step 2 is gonna be more important, b) pedigree is going to rise in importance, c) rotation curriculum is likely gonna get an overhaul, and d) location is gonna be a huge deal.

Not sure how I feel about this overall, but I’ll be glad to see Step 1 mania end. There’s something wrong with the system when you see someone that scores 240+ not know how to handle a basic simulation...

As an incoming class of 2024, I have very mixed emotions (most of which are negative).

I’m glad I can focus solely on curriculum and will no longer need to purchase tons of board prep materials / become a slave to Zanki.

Buuut besides doing well in classes & doing research / shadowing, how will I ever stand out compared to other DO/MD students? Will COMLEX scores matter? Is step 2 the new step 1?

Reactions: 4 users
As an incoming class of 2024, I have very mixed emotions (most of which are negative).

I’m glad I can focus solely on curriculum and will no longer need to purchase tons of board prep materials / become a slave to Zanki.

Buuut besides doing well in classes & doing research / shadowing, how will I ever stand out compared to other DO/MD students? Will COMLEX scores matter? Is step 2 the new step 1?
Exactly where I'm at

what isn't clear to me is how this affects us M1s. I hope they allow us to use the scored version, since it's technically scored by the time we take it. Maybe they'll ease programs into it like they did with the MCAT?

what isn't clear to me is how this affects us M1s. I hope they allow us to use the scored version, since it's technically scored by the time we take it. Maybe they'll ease programs into it like they did with the MCAT?
they wont. all REPORTED scores will be p/f by 2022.

IMHO, if you are fine with PC, okay with matching into a regional program nearby your school and will be attending a regionally well-known DO program, enjoy the process as you will fare better when it is time for matching compared to students of newer, lesser-known DO programs. As for those who are aiming for competitive/semi-competitive specialties like myself, good game!

It says theyre gonna release more news about it in the future. Nothing is really set. They also say the earliest it can happen is Jan 2022. They don’t mention previous scores converted to pass fail etc. still some hope.

For DO students... now you have to sit through a P/F USMLE Step 1 just so you have a chance to Ace the Step 2 to impress ACGME Program directors....

Tough break, guys.

Also, don't count on Ex-DO programs for competitive specialty. Most of the Ex-DO Derm Program Directors I talk to don't save spots for DO students. They just want to have the best people. I imagine the sentiment is the same for other competitive specialties. Only the programs with Osteopathic Recognition has that level of commitment; there are only 4 derm programs in the nation.

IMHO, if you are fine with PC, okay with matching into a regional program nearby your school and will be attending a regionally well-known DO program, enjoy the process as you will fare better when it is time for matching compared to students of newer, lesser-known DO programs. As for those who are aiming for competitive/semi-competitive specialties like myself, good game!

All of my pre-med exposure has been in rural FM which I’ve enjoyed and would be happy with, but I’ve always been interested in 2-3 (mostly competitive) sub specialties.

Cheers to having my decision made for me, I guess.

Class of 2022 is fine though right? Since we'll be applying in fall 2021, and the changes won't happen until Jan 2022 at the earliest (mid application cycle)?

I honestly feel like Class of 2023 will have 3 digits score too, since most of us will take it in June 2021.. even though we will be applying for residency in 2022 I don’t see how they can take our score away from us 6 months after we get it

I honestly feel like Class of 2023 will have 3 digits score too, since most of us will take it in June 2021.. even though we will be applying for residency in 2022 I don’t see how they can take our score away from us 6 months after we get it

It doesn’t matter. When you apply for residency, your USMLE transcript will then be uploaded to programs around June to August of 2022. It will have Pass or Fail regardless of your original score.

It doesn’t matter. When you apply for residency, your USMLE transcript will then be uploaded to programs around June to August of 2022. It will have Pass or Fail regardless of your original score.
what if they mean that the score reported to US (not residencies) will be p/f after 2022 and that we can still report our 3 digit score to residencies?

what if they mean that the score reported to US (not residencies) will be p/f after 2022 and that we can still report our 3 digit score to residencies?

Programs don’t take stuff from you. Work through your proper chain of command or be prepared to be DNR

Not if PDs have to go through another extra step to find out your actual numerical number. If it only shows up as P/F on your app, they will probably take it as is unless the rest of your app looks really promising and they want the 3 digit score to further fortify the decision to accept you.

So now a) Step 2 is gonna be more important, b) pedigree is going to rise in importance, c) rotation curriculum is likely gonna get an overhaul, and d) location is gonna be a huge deal.

I agree, and about pedigree I would add specifically that "med school nepotism" could increase. I would be concerned that programs would just continue to take students from feeder/funneling schools based on history instead of reviewing holistically. If this happened, why even have an applicant's med school name appear on their app? In moving toward holistic review for residency and med school, I guess I'm just fearful this will legitimize the consideration of factors that shouldn't be involved in the process; personally, I thought med school admissions were a little overly invasive .

I have re-thought things thanks to @Dr. Death . This is terrible for DOs.

The studs will maybe make it out? But the bottom 3 quartiles ceiling just lowered substantially.

Avoid DO if you want something competitive or an academic career. this was already sort of true but should be especially emphasized now.

DO school expansion makes this even worse of a problem.

Unless you get into osu-com, msu-com, tcom, pcom, ohio-U, rowan I would avoid DO an re-apply or just know and accept your limits. Schools like osu with protected residency spots in PC and specialties are the only decent move in regards to attending a DO school.

Having Step 2 ck doesn't help because you get your score back around the same time residency apps go out soits too risky to even rely on this helping as I foresee most MD students taking it after ERAS apps go out in order to prevent "blowing it".

sucks to suck guys

This is even more devastating for IMGs who have to get 250+ to even get a primary care spot.

Reactions: 11 users
I have re-thought things thanks to @Dr. Death . This is terrible for DOs.

The studs will maybe make it out? But the bottom 3 quartiles ceiling just lowered substantially.

Avoid DO if you want something competitive or an academic career. this was already sort of true but should be especially emphasized now.

DO school expansion makes this even worse of a problem.

Unless you get into osu-com, msu-com, tcom, pcom, ohio-U, rowan I would avoid DO an re-apply or just know and accept your limits. Schools like osu with protected residency spots in PC and specialties are the only decent move in regards to attending a DO school.

Having Step 2 ck doesn't help because you get your score back around the same time residency apps go out soits too risky to even rely on this helping as I foresee most MD students taking it after ERAS apps go out in order to prevent "blowing it".

sucks to suck guys

This is even more devastating for IMGs who have to get 250+ to even get a primary care spot.
And what about an average DO student who wants to do IM and goes to an old DO school (20+ years)? Surely i should still be able to match IM in a desired location, yes?