***USMLE Step 1 Prep Book***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doggy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only an MS-1, but I figure that a board prep book can be a useful and concise reference, as well as a good head start on studying for Step 1.

Can anyone recommend a good prep book? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are several recent threads which have discussed in detail the various Step 1 books that people recommend. I would suggest doing a search for those -- they should help answer your question.

As for what to start with -- the staple (but usually not only) book that everyone uses when they get closer to the Boards is First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. It also rates a number of Step 1 review books for various subjects.

Hey Doggy,

A good foundation for your studying (the very least you'd have to do for a reasonable score) would be:

1. First Aid (memorize every detail!)
2. BRS Pathology (read twice)
3. BRS Physiology (read twice)
4. Board Simulator Computer questions.

I did these four things and got my exact (and I mean to the number!) goal for step I.

A lot of people don't like to do BSS questions because they don't "reflect what's in the actual exam." In other words, their style of question is different, and they ask a lot of questions in a row about one topic.

However, a question is a question, and, once you get through the 3500 computer questions, you'll feel pretty comfortable about your knowledge base.

Besides, every question that you see again, and that you know the answer to, that's something that you learned, a tiny kernal of knowledge that you didn't know before hand.
If you don't remember the answer, it's something you need to re-learn. A lot of times the questions are knit-picky, but they get at points which are very important. Perhaps you don't need to know the exact amino-acid sequence of insulin--but you do need to know where it comes from, what it does, why it's made--what Peptide C tells you about too much insulin (endogenous versus exogenous). Very general, fairly easy concepts that are great for review.

The explanations are terrific in BSS. For instance, I didn't have a terrific strategy for Acid-Base physiology until I read their question explanations.

If you do those 4 things, you'll achieve a great score. If you want to kill it (get higher than, say, 240), you'll need to do some more.

Oh, for Embryology, I read "High-Yield," and that's ALL you need to read, given the fact that I had about 4 Embryology questions out of 350 (and most of them were Embryological defects that you see in pathology anyway).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies, guys. I think I know where to start now.

Hey GI Guy--are the Board Simulator computer questions different than the Kaplan Q Bank? How do you get access to them? Thanks...

Board Simulator Series Computer questions come on a CD from the your Med School book store.

They only make questions for Step I (as far as I know), and the CD costs around 100.00, but it's well worth it.