USMLE step 1 score for Gastroenterology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctober1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
error

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is probably hard to figure out considering that it typically isn't part of the selection criteria for fellowships. Medical school, Residency, LoRs, Publications, etc. are what fellowship programs tend to look at, as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no ballpark, I applied last year and had 15 interviews, had 5+ other residents from my residency program apply with me, and where everyone was offered interviews was completely random, yet luckily all of us matched. I'm sure board scores among all of us in residency were variable.

If you have a less than stellar board score, don't worry about it.

As the prior people have stated, perform incredibly well in residency, get strong recommendation letters (preferably from people who are well known in the field), and get a few publications/posters. Don't let a low board score discourage you from applying.

I'm in my last year of GI fellowship at a program in California. We get to review all of the GI applicants, and essentially have veto power. We get hundreds of applicants, but only interview between 10-15 for 3 positions. We've always filled. The range of USMLE step 1 scores vary widely, but are usually at least in the 50th percentile or higher. When selecting an applicant, we look more carefully at the entire individual and their accomplishments rather than a single test score. That being said, I'd say the average applicant has a USMLE step 1 score between 230-240, although I've seen several scores just shy of 260 every year I've reviewed applicant's resumes.

Its really hard to swallow that USMLEs play a role in fellowship as well!!!!

I didnt know taht FPDs would really care about scores as long as the LORs from the residency PD and relevant faculty are good.

Also, if scores are important, why not consider Step 2, and put this weight on step 1? o_O

I disagree that Step I plays a huge part in fellowship matching. Failing or a "very low" score (obviously varies from PD to PD, but in general <210) may be a red flag, but super high scores (eg. 250+) add little over merely "good" scores (220-240).

I think Step scores are also used to determine fitness for passing GI boards (as well as IM boards-- no PD wants to take someone in danger of failing IM boards and deal with it during fellowship). Failing or showing poor performance any Step (including II and III) is a red flag that one would need much work to overcome.

Just goes to show, dont listen to all those people who tell you Step II and III don't matter. In my opinion, you don't need to rock them, but don't blow them off. Also, don't forget, ERAS for fellowship asked for my Dean's Letter (not sure if any programs actually looked at it, but they all downloaded it).

I agree with above posters, in that other things in your application matter far more than the Step scores (where you do residency, LOR, research, etc).