USMLE Step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayswame

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what are my chances of geting into Internal medicine residency program, I'm FMG and my score for USMLE step 1 is only 192.:(
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me what are my chances of geting into Internal medicine residency program, I'm FMG and my score for USMLE step 1 is only 192.:(
Thanks.

Check out the thread in the IM forum for grads and their stats.

Bring up your score on Step 2, and much more goes into an application, like research, pubs, and volunteer work. You may not be an ideal candidate for the top tiers, but you should be fine. Especially if you apply to the larger community programs and the smaller university programs in not-so desirable locations.

According to "Charting outcomes in the Match" posted on the NRMP website, with a Step 1 score of 191 - 200, ignoring all other aspects of your application (i.e. a simple evaluation, not a multivariate assessment), your matching chances are about 30%. The chance of getting an IM residency is higher than this, since this ignores prematches.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteer work by itself isn't going to get you a residency, but volunteer work and other leadership/extracurricular things can make a difference. I did a lot of extracurriculars during med school, and at least @certain IM programs this was something that was brought up in interviews, and mentioned @ at least one place as a reason they were interested in me (PD called me back and stated they were impressed with my leadership activities, and were going to rank me high, etc.). I agree that USMLE scores tend to hold more weight, though, and that extracurriculars are more something that might differentiate two academically similar looking candidates.

I do think that certain residencies like peds, fp and IM tend to care more about extracurriculars (at least things like clinic volunteering, etc.) vs. some of the specialty residencies. It kind of makes sense, especially as those doing peds, IM or fp will be doing lots of direct patient care, and perhaps working with underserved populations in their resident clinics and perhaps later in their careers as well (depending on the practice setting).