1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

USMLE Step 1, Step 2, Step 3

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by oldman, Apr 26, 2002.

1. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When do you take these exams? i know step 1 is after 2nd year. when do you take 2 and 3??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Step 1 - typically after 2nd year. Not all schools require Step 1 before getting on the wards though. For example, I'm taking it in December of my 3rd year.

Step 2 - spring of 4th year. Generally, this is taken after the match but before internships begin in July.

Step 3 - taken at the end of the internship year.

4. Whisker Barrel Cortex

10+ Year Member

Hey oldman,

Here's the scoop:

Step I: Usually taken after 2nd year. Most schools have a month (we had 1.5 months) off before clinicals. You can schedule it at any time since it is on the computer. This is the most important step for residencies, so study hard. I studied about 3 weeks 4-5 hours a day, many of my classmates did more.

Step II: Some say take it Fall of 4th year, but most take it spring after interviews and match. It is not as important as step I. However, if you didn't ace Step I doing well on step II might help your cause if you take it early. One option is to take it in November and do not release scores automatically to ERAS (residency program). This way, if you do well you can tell interviewers about it but if you don't it won't hurt you. Lowest stress option is to take it late like I did in February. I studied 2 weeks about 1-2 hours a day and 5 hours the day before and did great.

Step III: Taken after intern year. Usually some time in second year. My friends in residency say they studied maybe 2 days.

5. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

The Class of 2006 will most likely have to take the clinical assessment exam aka Step 2-B.

Anyone know when that will be taken?

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Moving this to the USMLE/COMLEX forums...