USMLE Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can all pass!!! I truly believe this.
I just got my results over the Net (thank you for those suggestions) so I don?t know how well I did, but I passed Step 1 and Step 2. I took them concurrently, S1 on Monday S2 on Tuesday. Both exams I finished over an hour early.
I had adopted a rather philosophical attitude beforehand so I wasn?t too stressed but many of the review sources and questions were rather intimidating but I thought I would give it a go.
My background, I?m an IMG who has just graduated but did less than average on my classwork in the non-clinical years as I came from a non-science background. (Literally before I started medical school my last formal science class was in grade 10.)
My preparation time was minimal- I decided to apply in very late November, took several weeks off studying in December, and then started working as a fulltime PGY1 in Australia in January and sat the test February 22/23. Most of my preparation/review was what I managed to get done at home at the end of a 9 hour work day or one my day off. My main source was First Aid and drips and drabs of other sources such as Youles Jewels. I found the pharmacology and micro sections of First Aid especially useful. Very little questions on anatomy and luckily not much biochemistry. There were quite a few questions of the behavioral type- what would you say etc- all very commonsense stuff. I guessed quite a few questions, came out of the Step 1 exam thinking I was reasonably confident on about 50% of my answers?
I worked right up until the Sunday morning when I finished work (including working 8am-9pm on the Saturday), got on the plane for a 2 hour flight, found my hotel and turned up for the exam the following morning. Now I may well not have done brilliantly but I passed which given I want to go into a ?non-competitive? specialty is all that really matters. I know that these comments are a little random but in short, If I can pass this exam anyone can. Keep having faith in yourself, say your prayers, Good luck. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Members don't see this ad.

:eek:

Geez, you took step 2 a day after step 1? You must be smart. There is a lot of overlap between the two tests, but there's also a lot of stuff that's not overlapped meaning you have to cram almost 2 times the amount of info into your brain for those 2 days. Not only that, but to not even give yourself much of a break between those two tests! :eek: Oh well, they used to give paper USMLE exams that lasted 2 days. I guess that us newer generation of docs are a bit spoiled when it comes to test taking. Congrats on passing them both though!

Thanks. Step 2 is a lot easier and related a great deal more to the sort of thing you do on the ward etc so that made it easier to remember. For me Step 2 was less of a cram job that Ste 1 was.
There was quite a bit of overlap, especially with questions of the psychosocial nature. Overall it's not as scary as we were led to believe and in a way no gap between them made it easier you just keep in the groove. Of coruse I stayed in a ncie hotel. In fact I stayed up too late the night in ebtween reading a bad novel...

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Congrats on getting them out of the way.