USMLE Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathologist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me an explanation of basically what this consists of. How is it scored? What is it scored out of? What is a good score? How does the three digit score compare with percentage? What is a failing score? Thanks
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Pathologist:
I was wondering if anyone could give me an explanation of basically what this consists of. How is it scored? What is it scored out of? What is a good score? How does the three digit score compare with percentage? What is a failing score? Thanks
smile.gif

Most of your questions will be answered in the on-line USMLE Bulletin at http://www.usmle.org

As for "what is a good score?" - depends. A good score for orthopaedics/neurosurgery is generally at least 1 SD above the mean (which is believe has been hovering around 212). Some surgery programs will state in their literature that scores below a certain cut=off (frequently 220) won't be considered. A good score for Psychiatry or Pathology would be around the mean. A passing score varies from time to time but is generally around 176. Please check the above URL for details regarding the USMLE.

Hope this helps.

I believe the mean is 215-ish, and the SD is 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathologist, if you are indeed 18 as you wrote in another post, you need be most concerned with getting a fake ID at this time in life. Take deep, slow breaths. Life is long.

Don't worry, fiatslug. I'm not getting ahead of myself. I'm involved with plenty of non-premed/med type of stuff. I just wanted to know a little about what it is.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Pathologist (edited 02-12-2001).]