1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

USMLE Step 1

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pathologist, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Pathologist

Pathologist Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me an explanation of basically what this consists of. How is it scored? What is it scored out of? What is a good score? How does the three digit score compare with percentage? What is a failing score? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Most of your questions will be answered in the on-line USMLE Bulletin at http://www.usmle.org

As for "what is a good score?" - depends. A good score for orthopaedics/neurosurgery is generally at least 1 SD above the mean (which is believe has been hovering around 212). Some surgery programs will state in their literature that scores below a certain cut=off (frequently 220) won't be considered. A good score for Psychiatry or Pathology would be around the mean. A passing score varies from time to time but is generally around 176. Please check the above URL for details regarding the USMLE.

Hope this helps.

4. Linie

Linie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I believe the mean is 215-ish, and the SD is 20.

5. fiatslug

fiatslug Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pathologist, if you are indeed 18 as you wrote in another post, you need be most concerned with getting a fake ID at this time in life. Take deep, slow breaths. Life is long.

6. Pathologist

Pathologist Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't worry, fiatslug. I'm not getting ahead of myself. I'm involved with plenty of non-premed/med type of stuff. I just wanted to know a little about what it is. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Pathologist (edited 02-12-2001).]