USMLE Step 2 CK for D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rimedstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on SDN but I came here to find out an answer to this question - How important is it for a HPSP D.O. student to take USMLE step 2 CK? I'm a MS3 and I took both COMLEX (594) and USMLE (227) step 1 last year and have been trying to decide if I want to take the USMLE step 2 this year or just take COMLEX step 2. Any input that could help me decide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not important at all. The HPSP only reimburses for one and since you will need COMLEX to graduate just take that one. I only took COMLEX and placed in my top three choices of location with my first choice in residency.

Well I personally think that if you want to do something competitive taking the USMLE 2 to go along with your 1 is not a bad idea. My experience is the more you make yourself comparable to the USHUS (USELESS, not all but definately some) students and MD students the easier it is to prove you are equal or better. I was asked numerous times what my score meant. It was a fairly good score and never a peep from the interviewers unless they were DO about it. Program Directors sit down from each branch and evalaute you on their point system. Some may not view scoring in the 80% on Comlex as being equal to getting a 80% on the USMLE, sucks but it is what it is. Add to the fact that it seems Hierachy is sometimes USHUS>military service academy undergrad>MD>prior service>DO

Libo1369 please mention what you matched in and year.

Some years it looked like if you had a pulse you could get almost anything. However, going from the the class of 2012 and to present it appears things may continue to remain competitive and fewer and fewer programs are going to go unfilled simply due to the number of applicants being at all time highs (baising my opinion on the army numbers).