USMLE Step 2 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jawurheemd

xx ToXiC xx
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a question about my USMLE score. Becuase percentiles aren't reported anymore, I'm having a little difficulty interpreting my score. I got a 254 (96 for those who use the 2-digit system). I know this is a very good score, but I'm not exactly sure how good because I'm not sure exactly where this score falls percentile-wise historically. www.USMLE.org doesn't list the percentiles from previous examinations anymore. In other words, I just want to know how program directors would interpret this score. I'm not looking for kudos, I'm just looking for honest assessments. I would have posted anonymously on the everyone forum, but apparently you can't do that anymore. Thank you.

-James

Members don't see this ad.

didn't you learn any epi?
don't you know about the mean and standard deviation
and you say you got as 254 hah.
just kidding.
they no longer report the percentle info but you can figure it out with the mean and SD, that they do give

Hey Detroit Rock,

Don't worry about me breaking my arm -- I'm not that dumb -- I knew that I could break my arm on my back -- so instead I hired a masseuse -- much more enjoyable.

Do the program directors see the mean and standard deviation? The mean and standard deviation can be used to calculate percentiles provided that the distribution of scores fits the classic "bell-shaped" curve (You're right though, I'm not very good at epi -- lucky for me, not too much on the exam). I don't know if you get that kind of distribution with the USMLE -- especially considering that most of the people who take this exam are very bright. I was under the impression that because the percentiles are no longer reported, that they just based their assessment of the score on the historical percentiles. I guess it doesn't make that much difference with my Step 2 score, but my Step 1 score is a 237. I have the historical percentiles for this score for step 1 which ranges from a 92 percentile to a 96 percentile -- but when I figure out the percentile by mean and standard deviation -- only 84 percentile. You can imagine that I would rather that the program directors go by historical percentiles -- at least for my Step 1 score. I can't find a similar list of percentiles for Step 2 scores -- I've heard that in the past the scores on Step 2 have been higher than step 1 scores -- I've heard of people getting 270s on their Step 2 -- while the mean and standard deviation makes that score almost a statistical impossibility, I've heard of many people achieving such scores -- so I'm not sure what to make of the mean and standard deviation -- perhaps, the distribution of scores is bimodal. I'm not sure. I just want to be directed to a sight that has the percentile distributions for Step 2 conducted in 1998 and years previous.

I know I'm making a big deal of numbers, but I think that I'm on the bubble at the places that I would like to do a residency (emergency medicine seems to be pretty competitive this year). Based on discussions with some residents at the program that I'm particularly interested in, I know that board scores are given great weight. I've also know a number of applicants who are considering the same program and are very bright -- I imagine that they did very well on their board. I'm just trying to figure out where I stand relative to them. I am geographically restricted due to spousal considerations -- so I'm limited in terms of the number of residencies I can consider. So anything that will affect my ranking is very important. It would have been so much easier if I could just apply all across the US -- it would have been kind of fun. Alas, that's not the case. Anyway, enough with my rambling. Thanks for your help.

-James

Members don't see this ad :)
Detroit Rock,
I just noticed your profile. Excellent choice of specialty.

-James

Everybody who interviews has the same numbers, give or take. The match is based on the interview and nothing more. Do the people who meet you want to be stuck with you fgor the next 3-4 years? I went to a couple of the interview luncheons. Some of the people had zero personality. They will not stand out and not be remembered. They will not match here! Don't worry about the numbers. They only get you the chance to go to the program. Once you are there, then it is your spot to lose! Just my opinion!

Thanks for the input. All I can say is that while there are a couple of deadbeats out there interviewing for the EM residencies, I found most of the people that I was interviewing with to be very cool. I imagine it would be very hard for the residencies to distinguish one from another as being a "better" fit for the program when most of the applicants are very personable. All I know is that I'm glad that these are the type people I'll probably be working with.

-James