USMLE Step 3-What to study & will scores benefit if reapplying to match this year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tln666

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I would greatly appreciate any advice or comments regarding taking the USMLE-3 as a means to improve my re-application to the match this year. I passed USMLE-2 thus cannot repeat it for a better score. I'm looking to reapply for a surgical match this year (as I did not match for this starting July internship year and several program directors would like to see better scores) and need to counter my step-2 score as a reapplicant.
1) would this benefit me as a reapplicant against all those MSIV's in the upcoming year's application process?
2) any suggestions on study materials?

Thanks for all your time and input!

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you are a graduating MS IV, Step 3 will not help you. It is an exam based on clinical decision making. In any event, as of December, in order to sit for the exam you must have completed at least 1 year of post graduate training (more for IMGs and some DOs) before you can even apply to take it. You are better off doing research, or taking a prelim surgery position and working your butt off at said place to try and get a categorical position.

teamdick said:
In any event, as of December, in order to sit for the exam you must have completed at least 1 year of post graduate training (more for IMGs and some DOs) before you can even apply to take it.

Can you provide a link? Eligibility is set by every single licensing authority (every state, DC, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands included), and several states (Connecticut and Arkansas and Wyoming come directly to mind) allow Step 3 with no GME for anyone (US grad or FMG).

teamdick said:
Assuming you are a graduating MS IV, Step 3 will not help you. It is an exam based on clinical decision making. In any event, as of December, in order to sit for the exam you must have completed at least 1 year of post graduate training (more for IMGs and some DOs) before you can even apply to take it. You are better off doing research, or taking a prelim surgery position and working your butt off at said place to try and get a categorical position.

Each state has their own requirements. Most states just require an MD/DO, and passing score on the other three. A lot of people take their exam during their intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Carm said:
Each state has their own requirements. Most states just require an MD/DO, and passing score on the other three. A lot of people take their exam during their intern year.

This is true. Do search for Federation of State Medical Boards and it lists state requirements before taking Step-3. Nevada and California don't require any post-doc training before step-3 but my situation is that I'm a DO and it will cost me an additional $975 to take USMLE-2 CS on top of my own COMLEX-2 CS in order to take USMLE-3. So this is a very expensive adventure for me just to get a better score. This is my only avenue I suppose, as I can't leave town to take a Surgical Prelim.

Any further thoughts?

Here's a link to a list of all eligibility requirements in the US

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

Although it says "requirements for initial licensure", most states will not sponsor you to sit for the exam until you meet the requirements, some even require you to submit an application for licensure (and the hefty fee!). In fact, you can't even apply for the exam unless you meet the states' requirements. Just about all of them are minimum 1 year of training. It is updated as of December 2006. I do recall that Nevada, Cali, and Conn had no requirements. I registered through Conn months ago, before they changed the requirments and I'm just finishing up my intern year now. However, one can write to the medical board of the state for exemptions. The issue that comes to mind are my buddies who are doing prelim years at one hospital but are going to a different one for pgy2. All of them need Step 3, but i guess none of them have 1 year of training until june 30. not sure how this situation is working out.

Nothing has changed in Connecticut in the past 6 weeks - that's who I sat Step III through.

The link you posted is the wrong one - this chart is the one people need - I would not say "most", and, moreover, of those that don't require any GME to sit Step III, most of those don't require you to apply for the license at the time you apply for Step III.

It's nothing personal, but it's best to have a correct picture of what the requirements are.

And, I was wrong in my original post - you need 1 year for Wyoming.

But did you do any of your residency in Conn? If so, I am verifying the state that you list doesn't matter??? Is this right? I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of filling out the additional forms and additional fees to take it for Michigan.

teamdick said:
Here's a link to a list of all eligibility requirements in the US

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

Although it says "requirements for initial licensure", most states will not sponsor you to sit for the exam until you meet the requirements, some even require you to submit an application for licensure (and the hefty fee!). In fact, you can't even apply for the exam unless you meet the states' requirements. Just about all of them are minimum 1 year of training. It is updated as of December 2006. I do recall that Nevada, Cali, and Conn had no requirements. I registered through Conn months ago, before they changed the requirments and I'm just finishing up my intern year now. However, one can write to the medical board of the state for exemptions. The issue that comes to mind are my buddies who are doing prelim years at one hospital but are going to a different one for pgy2. All of them need Step 3, but i guess none of them have 1 year of training until june 30. not sure how this situation is working out.

DrGucciGal said:
But did you do any of your residency in Conn? If so, I am verifying the state that you list doesn't matter??? Is this right? I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of filling out the additional forms and additional fees to take it for Michigan.

It doesn't matter which state board you apply to. You can physically take the exam in any state you want, regardless of which state board you applied with. Just register with a state that meets your needs. You don't have to have any affiliation whatsoever with the state. Most don't make you apply for a license at the same time.