USMLE step II question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raminder26

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me what are the best books for step II and how good is Kaplan for step II, for step I it was pretty much on the money the whole way, I would say at least 90-92% of the qs that is! How many months would I need to study with step I knowledge ( just took it 4 weeks ago), and what are the best mcq options out there? Can someone please help!! How close is the correlation regarding step I vs. step II material... I have heard significant and I have heard only like 10-20%?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Raminder26
Can anyone please tell me what are the best books for step II and how good is Kaplan for step II, for step I it was pretty much on the money the whole way, I would say at least 90-92% of the qs that is! How many months would I need to study with step I knowledge ( just took it 4 weeks ago), and what are the best mcq options out there? Can someone please help!! How close is the correlation regarding step I vs. step II material... I have heard significant and I have heard only like 10-20%?

I didn't feel like the tests correlated a whole lot. They both contained obscure BS, but it certainly seemed like step 1 was geared for those just finishing classes and step 2 was finished at those finishing clinical training. Lots of what's the diagnosis, what's the first step, what's the next step in treatment. You could probably do proportionally better with less work than on step 1. (I studied 1/4 of the amount I did for step 1 and got around the same score.)

I liked Kaplan QBank for both steps and think those questions approximated both steps the most. Other stuff is too easy (USMLE practoce ?s) or way too hard (BSS/NMS, etc). I only used First Aid for Step 2 as my ownly book, but I've also heard people rave about "Crush the Boards."

mike

I have a question about step II (btw, I'm a MS1 but this is for someone else). If you do not pass on the first try, but then pass on the second, and submit your scores AFTER you match, would the fact that you didn't pass initially reflect poorly and cause the residency program that accepted you to reconsider?

I was under the impression that all you had to do was pass step II and if for some reason you did not do well on step I, that a higher score on step II could in a sense make up for the step I score but the step II scores don't have to count unless you want them to, you just have to pass.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

:rolleyes: