USMLE step II required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthodoc2be

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a head start on step II. I took both USMLE and COMLEX step I. If I decide to apply to a ACGME residency, will I need to take both the USMLE and COMLEX step II or can I just take the COMLEX? Does ACGME only care about USMLE step I?

Members don't see this ad.

Shortest Answer: Yes. No.

Short Answer: Depends on the hospital

Slightly Longer Answer: My understanding is most places want USMLE Step II (But only CK, not CS). occasionally just step 1 is enough.

Longest answer: You know, someone probably can answer this better than me. I'm just repeating back what the consensus of what I've heard from other people who've been through it here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to get a head start on step II. I took both USMLE and COMLEX step I. If I decide to apply to a ACGME residency, will I need to take both the USMLE and COMLEX step II or can I just take the COMLEX? Does ACGME only care about USMLE step I?

If you are applying ACGME Ortho, you will definitely need USMLE step II.

If you are applying ACGME Ortho, you will definitely need USMLE step II.

So is that the general rule for the more competitive ACGME residencies or for all of them? Can u get away with it in IM, FP, OBGYN, PM&R, etc?

There never really seems to be a clear answer for this question on SDN...

You are right, there is no clear answer. The general consensus is to be on the safe side and take the test.

I actually don't understand the reluctance to take step II. If you took Step I and did above average you should have no problem with Step II (especially if you studied for shelves during the year and used U-World to prepare).

Take both Step I and II so that you have equal credentials to other applicatans going into the MD match.

I actually don't understand the reluctance to take step II. If you took Step I and did above average you should have no problem with Step II (especially if you studied for shelves during the year and used U-World to prepare).
It's an expensive exam, and it's another month of studying. On the allopathic side, the general strategy is to take Step II "early" if you didn't do as well on Step I as you'd hoped, or if you're applying to very competitive programs. Otherwise, students can take it before they enter residency, but can be accepted into a program before their Step II scores become available. For allopathic medical students, the major benefit of this is that the test becomes less stressful, because there's much less of a chance for the results of the exam to have any negative influence on your application.

On the osteopathic side, I could imagine trying to do that in order to save money and/or effort. For example, if you scored well on the Step I but ultimately prefer your match with an osteopathic residency program and/or don't match into an allopathic residency, then why bother with Step II? (To be honest, I have no idea how it works when applying to both osteopathic and allopathic residencies - would love to hear how that goes.)

However, my advice would be to take the exam. I would guess that the D.O. degree will be held against you when some (perhaps most) allopathic programs consider your application, and having the test results would be helpful in that case.