USMLE v. MCAT

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by NE_Cornhusker1, Jan 15, 2002.

1. NE_Cornhusker1

NE_Cornhusker1 12" Member
    7+ Year Member

Anybody read anything about MCAT scores and success on part one of the USMLE? In particular relationships between MCAT Biological Sciences and the USMLE.

2. Sheon

Sheon Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Actually, the AMCAS website lists some articles that support the MCAT one of which speaks directly to the predictive value of the MCAT for the USMLE step 1. From what I read the tests correlate pretty well with one another.

The article I am talking about was from Academic Medicine (I looked it up about 2 and a half years ago). Hope I was a little helpful.

3. Fanconi

Fanconi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Maybe I'm not the usual case, but I did pretty well on USMLE Step 1 and just okay on the MCAT.

I think the main reason is that the stuff that's tested on USMLE was actually kind of fun/interesting to study (compared to physics, chemistry, etc. :eek: )

4. kd

kd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Somewhere- perhaps the same article referenced above- I recall reading that MCAT Biological Sciences subscore correlates strongly with USMLE scores. Also, performance on the Verbal Reasoning section has been reported to correlate with better performance in med school.