USMLE v. MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NE_Cornhusker1

12" Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody read anything about MCAT scores and success on part one of the USMLE? In particular relationships between MCAT Biological Sciences and the USMLE.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, the AMCAS website lists some articles that support the MCAT one of which speaks directly to the predictive value of the MCAT for the USMLE step 1. From what I read the tests correlate pretty well with one another.

The article I am talking about was from Academic Medicine (I looked it up about 2 and a half years ago). Hope I was a little helpful.

Maybe I'm not the usual case, but I did pretty well on USMLE Step 1 and just okay on the MCAT.

I think the main reason is that the stuff that's tested on USMLE was actually kind of fun/interesting to study (compared to physics, chemistry, etc. :eek: )

Somewhere- perhaps the same article referenced above- I recall reading that MCAT Biological Sciences subscore correlates strongly with USMLE scores. Also, performance on the Verbal Reasoning section has been reported to correlate with better performance in med school.