USMLE VS. COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year osteopathic student about to take the boards. I've heard from some people that taking the USMLE is recommended for some allopathic residency programs or competitive programs such as general surgery. I could use some feedback on this subject. Also does anyone have any experience in taking the USMLE?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

According to the Iserson book (Getting into a Residency), the USMLE may be recommended for DO students because some residency directors of some allopathic programs still can't interpret the scores. Most friends of mine in DO school or who are DOs in an allopathic residency have taken the USMLEs. The ones who haven't still pulled off well despite that.

If you're willing to put in the time to study and take the USMLEs, then by all means, do it. But you still have to take COMLEX in spite because of licensing requirements for osteopathic physicians.

Tim of New York City.

If you take the USMLE, and do worse than you do on the COMLEX, it could make you look worse. Why risk it?

Members don't see this ad :)
As the cliche goes, you never know until you try. I'd say go for it, it is better to take the test at the same time as the COMLEX since you will have little time afterwards to take the USMLE should you change your mind. The tests seem to test on the same basic sciences, but the format of each exam seems to differ (from what I've read).

EDGAR

Being in the interview process for ACME ER residencies as we speak, I can tell you that you will have a great advantage if you have taken the USMLE and have done well i.e 220 or above.