Quantcast

USMLE vs. COMLEX

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In what case would a DO student take the USMLE rather than the COMLEX? I have heard that it is recommended to do this to put you on more even par for more competitive specialties with "MD" residencies. Is there any truth to this? And also, what is meant by "MD" residencies? What is the difference between an MD residency and a DO residency? Are there DO residencies in every specialty? If a DO specializes through a DO residency, would he or she technically be paid (not in private practice) as much as a DO or MD coming from an MD residency, all other things being equal? If a DO gets into one of these, what are the implications for his or her future? I'm just very unaware of these matters, and want further clarification. Thank you all very much and good luck!

Non-Trad DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)
I'm not sure if there are any DO schools that someone would be allowed to gratuate from if she/he took the USMLE RATHER THAN the COMLEX. I know it wouldn't happen at LECOM. If a DO student wanted to be competative for an allopathic residency they would have to take both exams for most allopathic residencies. Some allopathic residencies will actually accept only the COMLEX but I'm not sure of how competative they are. As far resident salaries etc. I have no clue. A DO can specialize in every specialty as far as I know and I also have no idea about DO salaries vs MD salaries. Hope this helped a little.