• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

USMLE World score compared to other Q banks...

jp104

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
NYC
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I am about 2 months out from taking the test and so far I am scoring ~45% on 48 question blocks. Usually the average for the block is about 50-55%. Am I just hopelessly behind?

I've heard that USMLE World is harder so I am wondering what the score would equal if taken on a different Q bank or even the real exam. Just looking for some feedback from others..thanks!

Captopril

10+ Year Member
    May 10, 2008
    The ICU
    1. Fellow [Any Field]
      This is a bit off topic, but didn't want to start up yet ANOTHER UWorld thread. I just subscribed, and am doing the questions of the topics I read each day. i.e. if I read genitourinary anatomy today, I will do the corresponding UW questions. I then will check the explanations of all, and note down points of interest.

My question is, am I wasting the Qbank this way? Should I do random questions instead of stuff I just read?

njshibby

15+ Year Member
      Jul 7, 2005
        This is a bit off topic, but didn't want to start up yet ANOTHER UWorld thread. I just subscribed, and am doing the questions of the topics I read each day. i.e. if I read genitourinary anatomy today, I will do the corresponding UW questions. I then will check the explanations of all, and note down points of interest.

My question is, am I wasting the Qbank this way? Should I do random questions instead of stuff I just read?

I did that for a little bit but a lot of the questions feel like gimmes if you know what section they're coming from. Dunno how that plays out long term though, I guess you can still learn the material just as well.

About the Ads

AllUpOnYoMama

10+ Year Member
        Jan 4, 2009
        1. Medical Student
          whats up captopril. I would do random questions, finish the qbank, and then after all thats done, then you can go back and maybe do sections that you feel weak on like say renal physio etc.. That way your not wasting the qbank and your still concentrating the weak areas. Thats what Im doing. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps dude. Sorry for going off topic guys. Good luck

Captopril

10+ Year Member
          May 10, 2008
          The ICU
          1. Fellow [Any Field]
            I did that for a little bit but a lot of the questions feel like gimmes if you know what section they're coming from. Dunno how that plays out long term though, I guess you can still learn the material just as well.

whats up captopril. I would do random questions, finish the qbank, and then after all thats done, then you can go back and maybe do sections that you feel weak on like say renal physio etc.. That way your not wasting the qbank and your still concentrating the weak areas. Thats what Im doing. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps dude. Sorry for going off topic guys. Good luck

yeah the reason I'm doing it that way is because I never really reviewed most of the topics thoroughly, so a random test might just be me clicking random answers for 1 hour without any idea what they are talking about.

I'm thinking about maybe doing 1k question topic-wise, then doing 1k randomly after I've revised all subjects...that way I can get the best of both worlds. Basically a reverse of what AllUpOnYoMama suggested.

Thanks for the input guys, and sorry to the OP for completely hijacking your thread.:rolleyes:

Redrox

10+ Year Member
            Oct 28, 2008
              You need use the bank subjectwise to learn material, to solidify what you have just learned, before you start jumping around topics to get the mechanics and rhythm of the test down. Your reverse AllUpOnYourMama idea could work.

Or you could go with paper sources after each section, QBook, FirstAidQbook, R and C Review of Pathology. Most school libraries have copies that you can use.

Last edited:

jp104

10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Jan 18, 2004
              NYC
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                yeah the reason I'm doing it that way is because I never really reviewed most of the topics thoroughly, so a random test might just be me clicking random answers for 1 hour without any idea what they are talking about.

I'm thinking about maybe doing 1k question topic-wise, then doing 1k randomly after I've revised all subjects...that way I can get the best of both worlds. Basically a reverse of what AllUpOnYoMama suggested.

Thanks for the input guys, and sorry to the OP for completely hijacking your thread.:rolleyes:

s'ok...was still useful information :)

I read through the other thread mentioned on here and it seems like I have a lot of work ahead of me. At any rate, it's good to know just how far behind I am so I know what I need to do. Hopefully 6 weeks is enough time....

MonkeyDLuffy

10+ Year Member
                Jan 19, 2009
                1. Medical Student
                  I consistently scored 5-10% below the average on UW, but got an average score on the true test. The key is to learn from your mistakes and keep your confidence up, both are very important for surviving the test. So you should be ok unless you want to be one of the people on SDN who boast a 90-99 on the test.

THE armada

10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Aug 28, 2006
                  1. Medical Student
                    I just started Uworld and its taking me FOREVER to review the answers after taking the test. I am reviewing right and wrong questions and pretty much just reading everything including the explanations for the other answer choices. Also I'm annotating FA while I go. Does this just take forever or will I get faster at doing this?

flabs

10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    Feb 17, 2006
                    1. Pre-Medical
                      It pretty much takes forever! I've been at it now for a few months (doing blocks of 25-50 a day - when time allows). It's been a GREAT way to learn thus far. Stick to it - because it will always take a long time to annotate.

I found that when I would try and do it faster, I'd skip over something interesting. If I did that , I figured I wasn't using the qbank to it's fullest and was "throwing my money/time away" - that's what I'd tell myself, at least, to slow down and focus.

I should finish the whole thing in a few days with a little over a month till my exam to review the info and missed test questions.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.