USMLE World vs RX vs Kaplan Q bank

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
    I need advice,

I'm just about to start second year and I wanted to do questions throughout the year. I was wondering which one I should do. I wanted to save the one that mimics the exam for last. So if RX is the one that mimics the real thing the most, I wanted to save that for the last 2 months I have.

Here are my questions:
    1) List which one from best to worse
    2) List which one mimics the real exam from best to worse

Thanks!

About the Ads

BRTiger

10+ Year Member
    Dec 6, 2008
    1. Non-Student
      I did all three, and I recommend doing them all if possible. Since you are just starting 2nd year, that shouldn't be a real problem. I haven't received my Step score yet (took it June 18) but scored between 247-263 on the 3 practice tests I took (NBME 7, Uworld 1 and 2).

I recommend doing Rx throughout 2nd year, which helps reinforce First Aid and is a good study aid for whatever subject you are on in class. I would do Kaplan and Uworld when you start the serious Step studying. In my opinion Uworld is most like the test, but is actually a little harder because it does not have as many "gimmie" questions as you will find on the real exam. I thought Kaplan was pretty good as well, especially the "High Yield" questions.

I did Uworld 1x and took a 1 or 2 sentence note on every question I missed or got right for the wrong reason and would review those every couple of days. Then I did all the questions I got wrong the week before the test. So it worked out to doing Uworld more than once.

Personally I learn best by doing questions and learning by what I missed. If that works for you I would highly recommend doing all 3 qbanks. In the end its worth the money you spend to get the score you want. The more questions you do, the better your score.

To answer your question I would rate the qbanks Uworld > Kaplan > Rx, and would do them in reverse order.

ArcGurren

only one will survive
      Aug 6, 2010
      1. Medical Student
        1. USMLE World - easily the best, most high yield detail. Questions are tougher, 4-5 step questions which test your comprehension ability and the ability to put two and two together.

2. Kaplan Qbank - often times very tough but for me it was a good one; many of the questions are nitpicky but helped me learn some of the finer detail. Some very cool features including question explanations which are 5 minute ppt lectures from expert faculty on the topic. Raymon is the king of pharm, for the record. Also you can filter out a lot of the crap questions by using the "high yield" button.

3. Rx... meh. I didn't like it. Obnoxious format on the website, questions were essentially just memorization of FA detail, which I could do on my own. There were also a lot of blatantly wrong answers and the "percent correct" didn't seem to make much sense at times.

Your Mileage May Vary.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.