Usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spathi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where we can compare schools actual USMLE pass rates or averages?

Members don't see this ad.

They're all 99% and all above the national average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pass rates are generally posted by the school. Except for a few sub-par schools, all schools post above a 90% pass rate. The averages however are not widely distributed.

Your USMLE score is going to depend more on the effort you put in rather than how or what the school taught.. i would not dwell on it

Pass rates are generally posted by the school. Except for a few sub-par schools, all schools post above a 90% pass rate. The averages however are not widely distributed.

The reason being, of course, that the test is designed such that 92% of U.S. students will pass on their first attempt.

The reason being, of course, that the test is designed such that 92% of U.S. students will pass on their first attempt.
or uh, schools only accept people that they think will pass on their first attempt?

Anyone know where we can compare schools actual USMLE pass rates or averages?
Yeah, so what they said above is true. If you ask any school, they will tell you that they 1st time passing score is above the national average. I don't know if they keep the breakdown of how many students barely passed and how many blew it out the water, but generally the passing score isn't an indicator of how good the school is, but whether the students they accept do well on standardized tests. If a school accepts a majority of students with 32+ MCAT scores, their step 1 passing rates will be high also. Its the schools that take alot of chances on students that get hit with a low step 1 passing score.

Just pick schools that you actually like, and don't worry about the Step 1 scores, because it is dependent on you as a student, not the school.

or uh, schools only accept people that they think will pass on their first attempt?

My understanding was the scores were set such that 92% will pass, while 8% will fail, regardless of the actual numerical number correct. Thus it really doesn't matter who the schools will accept, since no matter who takes it, the same proportion will pass every year.

In my understanding (as well as what is stated on the USMLE website) they dont scale the scores. "The content-based standard used for setting the passing score means that as many as 100% of candidates could theoretically pass, or conceivably 0%. The number is not arbitrarily predetermined. "

http://www.usmle.org/faqs/faqusmlescores.htm

I thought the three digit score corresponded to the number of questions that you got correct.

I don't know about all med schools, but in my school the class average is usually known by the class that took the test. (i.e. I spoke with an M4 yesterday and they said their class average was around 220) If you can find someone in the class to ask that would answer you, you can probably get this information. It just wouldn't be worth the work involved...

My understanding was the scores were set such that 92% will pass, while 8% will fail, regardless of the actual numerical number correct. Thus it really doesn't matter who the schools will accept, since no matter who takes it, the same proportion will pass every year.

I don't think this is correct, because the 3-digit score is designed to indicate an equivalent absolute performance regardless of when the test is taken. Thus the pass line indicates some sort of minimum absolute performance that is supposed to be constant from year to year. Hence, to raise standards the minimum 3-digit score was recently raised (if there was a set failure percentage, they wouldn't have to change the pass line on the 3 digit scale)

Also, there is slight variation in the mean score from year to year.

I don't think this is correct, because the 3-digit score is designed to indicate an equivalent absolute performance regardless of when the test is taken. Thus the pass line indicates some sort of minimum absolute performance that is supposed to be constant from year to year. Hence, to raise standards the minimum 3-digit score was recently raised (if there was a set failure percentage, they wouldn't have to change the pass line on the 3 digit scale)

Also, there is slight variation in the mean score from year to year.

Yes, it appears I was wrong about this. However, consider that the pass rate for the past 10y has varied only between 88-92%, and the passing score is generally set in the mid-180's. Amazing that they can have a different test every year, yet continue to get the same average score and pass rates, without actually setting an arbitrary number of failures. Plus, since they no longer report percentile scores or number correct, it appears we will have to take their word on this.

I might be wrong but I always thought the 3 digit score was how many questions you got right If I am correct then they do tell you how many you got correct.

I might be wrong but I always thought the 3 digit score was how many questions you got right If I am correct then they do tell you how many you got correct.

Step 1 has 350 questions, and the subsequent steps have more than that. I'm also certain you can't score over 300.

They're all 99% and all above the national average.

Hehe... you think everyone is same as NYMC? :p Jeebus, I think out of 350 questions about 50 are experimentals so... if you get 250 right and get 50 real wrong and 50 experimental right you get only 200...

This is a fairly common misconception. Variations I have also heard suggest that there are 50 "experimental questions" in each exam that do not contribute to the score, therefore making the max score 300 (350-50=300). This is false. According to the FAQ: "The number of test items you answered correctly is converted to two equivalent scores, one on a 3-digit score scale and one on a 2-digit score scale. Both scales are used for score reporting purposes."

The manner in which the score is "converted" is not released by the organization. Ditto for percentiles and raw scores.