USMLE's for university-based IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rformd_student

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got my Step 1 scores and I'm glad that I passed but my score wasn't exactly stellar. I scored a 210 (85%-ile). I realize that this score isnt high enough for the most-competitive IM programs but is it good enough to get into a solid university-based program? I'm interested in the University of Maryland, Georgetown and George Washington University for geographic reasons. Are those out of the question?

Members don't see this ad.

rformd_student said:
Hi everyone,
I got my Step 1 scores and I'm glad that I passed but my score wasn't exactly stellar. I scored a 210 (85%-ile). I realize that this score isnt high enough for the most-competitive IM programs but is it good enough to get into a solid university-based program? I'm interested in the University of Maryland, Georgetown and George Washington University for geographic reasons. Are those out of the question?

From what I heard, Class rank matters much more than Step 1 for IM residency.

If the mean is 217 or 221 this year, how the hell is 210 at the 85th%ile ???? Please explain how math works in your world.

Members don't see this ad :)
doc05 said:
If the mean is 217 or 221 this year, how the hell is 210 at the 85th%ile ???? Please explain how math works in your world.

Maybe the OP means the 2 digit score which is most certainly not a percentile.

I don't believe they include percentiles in the USMLE score reports anymore. Maybe there's some score/percentile conversion chart out there somewhere?

sorry, i guess it's not a percentile. i'm just quoting my score report.

anyways, number semantics aside, i don't think medicine is a particularly competitive field to match into (unless you're going for places like mass general, brigham, ucsf, etc.). I don't know how competitive the DC/baltimore area medicine programs are. But I can presume (I could be wrong) that they're not as competitive as the boston, bay area programs.

Well, your step 1 is over. Congratulations on passing! Don't look back and now it's time for you to kick butt on your medicine rotation during M3 year. That will have more impact on your residency application than the step 1 score.

AndyMilonakis said:
Well, your step 1 is over. Congratulations on passing! Don't look back and now it's time for you to kick butt on your medicine rotation during M3 year. That will have more impact on your residency application than the step 1 score.

Thanks! I'm doing my peds rotation right now and starting medicine in September. I'm having a blast so far and have been getting good feedback on my presentations and H&P's.