USMLEWorld Scores not going up - less questions more review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done a little over a quarter of USMLE world random questions, and my scores arent going up - I started off w/a 43, then got a bunch of 50's, wen tup to some 60's and 70's then boom - today, a big 43. Its depressing.

I'm learning fromt he questions, but no where near as much as i'd learn if I just sat down an read a chapter of pharm. The explanations are good, but not as good as my text book. Should I just cut back on my questions and increase on my reading? i'm taking the test in june so I've got time, I just want to get the material down well, and personally, when I learn a concept I have to hit it over and over again. If I'm doing a question, I'd hit a concept, memorize it that time, then not hit it for a week (at least), and forget it again!

Any suggestions different ideas, similar experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

I just decided the same thing. There is no point doing questions this early in the game. If you haven't studied, you are just going to freak yourself out trying to "come up" with the answer.

For example, a question I had was about halucinations (sp?) that a girl was having right before waking up. I had to pick the right definition. I had never heard of any of them. After guessing wrong, I looked in first aid and all five were listed. If I had read that, I wouldn't have missed the question. Most of my errors are lack of knowledge, not lack of test taking skill.

So my plan, get through first aid once (for the first time), then try taking questions again.

I just did my first UW random today. Scored a depressing 46% :scared: . Missed stupid easy questions i should have known :( . Hope i improve overtime.

I just did my first UW random today. Scored a depressing 46% :scared: . Missed stupid easy questions i should have known :( . Hope i improve overtime.

Are you just doing random questions, or are you reading up on a certain subject and then doing questions based on that subject, or both?

I'm only into Week 2 of my studying, but I feel if I did a block of random questions right now, I would score pretty damn horribly, esp with subjects I hadn't reviewed yet, and I'm not sure if I would even learn that well considering I dont have much context behind reading the answer explanations

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the test in June, but I've gone through everything once (except for some neuro), so my world average is a 57 (well 56 after this morning). Its just I dont know how much new info I'm learning. Plus it fluxuates soooo much it's driving me nuts.

Are you just doing random questions, or are you reading up on a certain subject and then doing questions based on that subject, or both?

I'm only into Week 2 of my studying, but I feel if I did a block of random questions right now, I would score pretty damn horribly, esp with subjects I hadn't reviewed yet, and I'm not sure if I would even learn that well considering I dont have much context behind reading the answer explanations

Well, i just finished reviewing all of FA yesterday, so i'm doing everything randomly to consolidate everything i've been reviewing. Finishing FA in my opinion has helped me know exactly where to locate facts or add relevant notes to better understand concepts. So, when i review my FA again in the coming weeks, it''ll go smoothly i hope.:)

how thoroughly did you guys review all of the material before you delved into the UW questions?? how many questions are you doing per day?

I've gone through all of the material once or twice - twice for most organ systems. I've got 5 more weeks until my exam (june 19th) and just wanted to be finished both qbank and USMLE world and get information from both sources.

I'm doing 35 questions a day although a little less this week because of finals.

Thanks again.

I've gone through all of the material once or twice - twice for most organ systems. I've got 5 more weeks until my exam (june 19th) and just wanted to be finished both qbank and USMLE world and get information from both sources.

I'm doing 35 questions a day although a little less this week because of finals.

Thanks again.
twice for most organ systems with 5 weeks left (and almost done with those qbanks)...
how do u have time while still being in school?

Thanks again.

June 19th is like almost 9 weeks away. quit stressing, most haven't even started studying yet. my test is a week earlier than your test and I'm only starting to get serious about studying for this. You should probably learn the material better while you got the time before you plunge into all these questions and end up finishing them waaay before your test.

My score has been very unpredictable since i started Uworld:( . It went up and now down:scared: . I get frustrated sometimes but guess what! I'm learning a lot from the explanations. It takes me an average of 5hrs to review a 50 question block. I just wanna use UW as a learning tool and probably fly through Kaplan q-bank my last 3 weeks. Hope my scores go up. I''ll probably take my first NBME after i'm done with atleast 80% UW.
Well, let me just go knock-out another 50 now.:D

June 19th is like almost 9 weeks away. quit stressing, most haven't even started studying yet. my test is a week earlier than your test and I'm only starting to get serious about studying for this. You should probably learn the material better while you got the time before you plunge into all these questions and end up finishing them waaay before your test.

If I stick w/35 questions a day, it'd take me more than 9 weeks to complete qbank, usmle world once (hopefully twice), robbins path, and pretest physio - let alone another pharm source. That being said I totally agree that I think I need to go the unreviewed subjects a second time prior to doing so many. I've also added in an hour daily of just straight pharm review to make sure it stays fresh. The test determines the course of my life, I cant take it all that lightly - granted it's not the end of the world but I want to do well and know that I worked my hardest (I want to do emergency medicine nearby - close to my family/friends).

twice for most organ systems with 5 weeks left (and almost done with those qbanks)...
how do u have time while still being in school?

I'm a relatively efficient school studier and I dont sleep much. I study lecture material that's related to path, pharm, phys first and hit that over and over again waaay before the scheduled lecture exam (that way I get it well the first time). Then I study misc lectures over the weekends. I'm up at 3 and do straight board review until 9-10 at which point I go to class and do lecture the remainder of the day (until 10 when I sleep).

I really appreciate everyones suggestions and advice. I posted up my schedule for the next 9 weeks so any advice there is also much appreciated.

I'm up at 3 and do straight board review until 9-10 at which point I go to class and do lecture the remainder of the day (until 10 when I sleep).

Not trying to be mean (just expressing my astonishment) but you are nuts. With that schedule, you are going to die at age 28, before you get a chance to enjoy you derm residency.:eek:

Not trying to be mean (just expressing my astonishment) but you are nuts. With that schedule, you are going to die at age 28, before you get a chance to enjoy you derm residency.:eek:

It's only until the end of step one, after which I coast and relax (as much as possible) through 3rd and 4th year taking step 2 after being accepted into my EMERGENCY MEDICINE residency. Besides, it sounds a lot worse than it is, most med students sleep between 5-7 hrs a night, and I take 1 8 hr night a week.

Its not anywhere near that bad, I'm kinda geeky so I like the material I'm studying, I like the progress, and I've got a really understanding girlfriend. Its for a short time then things ease up a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you read explanations for questions that you get right as well? are you doing questions mixed or by subject? its taking me pretty long to get through 35 questions... like 4 hrs! i thought it was just me being slow.

I'm pretty sure EM is not THAT competitive, get some sleep!

It's only until the end of step one, after which I coast and relax (as much as possible) through 3rd and 4th year taking step 2 after being accepted into my EMERGENCY MEDICINE residency. Besides, it sounds a lot worse than it is, most med students sleep between 5-7 hrs a night, and I take 1 8 hr night a week.

Its not anywhere near that bad, I'm kinda geeky so I like the material I'm studying, I like the progress, and I've got a really understanding girlfriend. Its for a short time then things ease up a lot.

Actually, I think EM was very competitive this year. You can check the EM threads, but I think there was only 6 spots unfilled.

I'm pretty sure EM is not THAT competitive, get some sleep!

I live in MD, and the schools near by are georgetown, maryland, hopkins and george washington. They're all pretty competitive and I dont want to take any risks - like I had spoken with a persons at hopkins and he recommended that I get above 240.

I got a gooood month planned out after the 18th, gonna catch up on all the sleep I missed (342 hrs so far), and really live it up. I'm just terribly paranoid, and concerned about making sure I improve. On NBME (2) I got a 500/219, but like I said I'd been studying a lot, so I'm still concerned that I'm getting close to my peak and wont improve from there.

In terms of questions I do 1 hr of organ system questions for the one I'm reviewing using a non web source (like after I finish reviewing GI path I'll do 1 hr of GI path questions from Robbins for a few days, then after I finish GI phys I'll do GI phys questions from pretest phys).

For the USMLE world, I do fully random timed (except for the organ systems I havent covered in class which is only derm right now). I then go through my answers and put everything in first aid. I read everything (answer choices/questions wrong etc) and put any interesting tables/notes into first aid. No, you're not slow at all - depending on the questions it usually takes me a good 3-4 hrs to do and review 35 questions.

The plan I had/have is to finish a good 50-60 percent of USMLE world before I school ends, then when I go thorugh everything for my third time, I'd first start reviewing that section by reading first aid and knowing that cold before going to the review books again (RR, BRS phys, Katsung pharm, and a bunch of other HY books).

I really reallly just want to do well.

I'm up at 3 and do straight board review until 9-10 at which point I go to class and do lecture the remainder of the day (until 10 when I sleep).

Good morning! I'm going to bed soon, and I thought of this thread. I can't imagine waking up right now. More power to ya.

My score has been very unpredictable since i started Uworld:( . It went up and now down:scared: . I get frustrated sometimes but guess what! I'm learning a lot from the explanations. It takes me an average of 5hrs to review a 50 question block. I just wanna use UW as a learning tool and probably fly through Kaplan q-bank my last 3 weeks. Hope my scores go up. I''ll probably take my first NBME after i'm done with atleast 80% UW.
Well, let me just go knock-out another 50 now.:D

teejay...thanks for being honest.it takes me around that much time as well (4-5hrs)and reading soem of the other posts in which ppl finish a block and explanations in 120 mts or less had me thinking of a new profession.:hardy:

So what's the consensus? Is it worthwhile for me to be doing questions now if it's my first day of reviewing? My test date is June 9. I just did my first set of 30 questions and scored 50%. The biochem and neuro questions killed me!

So what's the consensus? Is it worthwhile for me to be doing questions now if it's my first day of reviewing? My test date is June 9. I just did my first set of 30 questions and scored 50%. The biochem and neuro questions killed me!

Seems kind of useless to start it if you havne't reviewed yet. Review the material while using another QBank (like Rx or Kaplan) then afterwards use USMLEWorld to take you to the next level. That's how I'm doing it.

Hey all,
i'm kinda new to this, so a lil curious as to what the opinion is out there. i take my exam on June 18, and i just bought usmleWorld. i took a 50 question randomized test to start with..scored a 60%. is that good / bad? what score on Usmle World is = 215-220? 230+? anyone hv any idea. 60% i thought was kinda low, but no clue what to make of it. any words of wisdom?

Hey all,
i'm kinda new to this, so a lil curious as to what the opinion is out there. i take my exam on June 18, and i just bought usmleWorld. i took a 50 question randomized test to start with..scored a 60%. is that good / bad? what score on Usmle World is = 215-220? 230+? anyone hv any idea. 60% i thought was kinda low, but no clue what to make of it. any words of wisdom?

I think the majority of people will tell you that one block of 50 questions isn't enough to base any assumptions on, however after studying you sound like you'll be in decent shape. Some people are scoring around that after studying everything even.

I've done a little over a quarter of USMLE world random questions, and my scores arent going up - I started off w/a 43, then got a bunch of 50's, wen tup to some 60's and 70's then boom - today, a big 43. Its depressing.

I'm learning fromt he questions, but no where near as much as i'd learn if I just sat down an read a chapter of pharm. The explanations are good, but not as good as my text book. Should I just cut back on my questions and increase on my reading? i'm taking the test in june so I've got time, I just want to get the material down well, and personally, when I learn a concept I have to hit it over and over again. If I'm doing a question, I'd hit a concept, memorize it that time, then not hit it for a week (at least), and forget it again!

Any suggestions different ideas, similar experiences?

LOL! I dont think I even started to review by now!

It seems to me that people make two mistakes going into qbank:

"I'm going to score 70% right off the bat."
"My percentages will improve in a linear fashion up until test day."

It's pretty standard to hit a rough stretch after pulling off a string of ~70% scores. Don't stress so much.