USMLEWORLD vs. MKSAP 3 for IM shelf: what's the final word?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aesop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am trying to figure out the best question source (USMLEWORLD vs. MKSAP 3) to use w/ step-up medicine for IM shelf. What's the general consensus? Realize MKSAP 3 is more common, but anyone done both and care to comment on relative strengths? Either one overrated or underrated?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally didn't like MKSAP at all. UWorld was ok.

MKSAP was the bomb for me but I used this resource from the first day of my Internal Medicine clerkship doing some work with this daily. I kept photocopies in my coat pocket for downtime and used Harrision's or Cecil's to look up things that I didn't understand. By the time the shelf came around, I was thoroughly prepared and scored extremely well.

The questions are much tougher but high yield.

Members don't see this ad :)
USMLE world was more like the real questions, but there were way too many questions to get through. I'd recommend: MKSAP first, then usmle world, if there's time. Another option is kaplan qbook: the questions are shorter but the material covered is decent and easier to get through.:luck:

I don't think MKSAP helped me one bit on the IM shelf.

Quite the opposite for me, MKSAP was a great resource. Like someone above, I started using MKSAP day one of the IM rotation

I used Pre-Test and MKSAP. We didn't have USMLE World when I was a med student.

I thought MKSAP was useless for it. I mean, they tested random crap like post nasal drip and other annoying oupt topics. I just read step up to medicine and got >90 raw on it.

MKSAP was crap.
I did Kaplan Step 2CK Qbook, and it helped me barely clear the 81 raw barrier - which is requried for honors at our school.

I'm sure USMLEWorld would have been even better (judging from Step 1 experience).

I just used Step Up to Medicine and Pre-Test and honored the rotation with a raw score of 75+ (not sure what my actual was, I just know that I got an A, which required a 75 or higher). Question sets usually help me, I was just too cheap to buy it yet.

how did pre-test compare to MKSAP and uworld? i haven't found pre-test to be that helpful for my other rotations so far.

I didn't use WORLD(though it was amazing for the step) as I am saving it for Step 2. But MKSAP was great, in that it provides you with the right type of questions for the shelf exam. The exam I felt was mostly about clinical decision making rather than coming up with the diagnosis(which you will find to be mostly cut and dry). So MKSAP is great for figuring out what the recent studies quoted suggest The Kaplan questions were mostly useless. Step up is the content resource I felt. And case files was a good day before the exam read. I used those sources and got a 95 on the shelf. Good luck on your exam!

I did essentially no studying for the shelf, except by reading uptodate on my pt's problems and reading the MKSAP ~2days before the test and got a 74. Not really fabulous, but I was pretty happy considering my lack of studying (the shelf doesn't count much for our grade here).

MKSAP was pretty decent but for me what did the trick was Step up to medicine

I actually found the Kaplan Qbook for Step 2 really helpful for the IM shelf. It's got 6 50-question tests which in retrospect were more representative of the IM shelf than any other questions I used. That said, same thing applies to the peds shelf.

I did MKSAP early, and it did not seem helpful to me. Kaplan and USMLE world both seemed much more representative of the test; if I had to do it over I would do all of Kaplan and then as much world as I could and also read Step UP. I read 1st Aid and it just didn't cover all of the questions, but from what I understand from classmates Step Up was great. Good luck- this shelf is a beast.

So I ended up reading step up twice, MKSAP3 once, and about 75% Qbook. Felt like the test was significantly harder then the peds and OB shelfs (probably not earth shattering news). I have to agree w/ previous posters that MKSAP3 was not that helpful. Questions were not particularly representative of the test and explanations were often just a couple of lines about some random study, rather than an explanation of the correct thought process or review of the relevant subject. Would still do Qbook, but know that these questions were easier as the the test is not going to give u a laundry list of classic signs/symptoms/findings. In the end, wished I had done USMLEWORLD like I did on previous shelfs, just didn't think I could get through all 1400 questions and thought finishng 2 smaller question banks would be more helpful. Will relay how it worked out for me when I get score.

I read Step Up twice...the second time the week of the test. I did MKSAP 3 and 1000q from world. Step Up is amazing. World was hard, and harder than the actual exam, but after doing it, I felt a lot more comfortable. If all you have time for is 1 thing...know Step Up for Medicine cold.

I think I read on another thread related to IM question resources that someone was recommending a Harrison's question bank. Has anyone else tried it? If so, is it more or less helpful than MKSAP or UW?