USN class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waiting is very harrrrd! So my lease is up and I have to renew it, but I don't know if I am moving to Nevada or not! If I want to take PCAT again , and I have to sign up now and pay for it! Urrrrrrrrrrg! Everyrhing depends on USN!! Anybody knows when the tuition is due?!!

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting is very harrrrd! So my lease is up and I have to renew it, but I don't know if I am moving to Nevada or not! If I want to take PCAT again , and I have to sign up now and pay for it! Urrrrrrrrrrg! Everyrhing depends on USN!! Anybody knows when the tuition is due?!!

If you get accepted after 8/2, then it's due right away :(. By that time financial aid won't help out...:(...That means we have to find over $20g +pissed++pissed+:boom::boom::boom:

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you find $20g? lol

Play some Texas Hold'Em at the Bellagio room. With a $1g investment, you can easily turn it into $20g's. That tip was free. If you want more, message me but it ain't gonna be free.

Still think the school should be paying for the drug screening/background check....

So the tuition is broken into two payments per year huh? Seriously, how do you plan on finding that money should you get accepted after 8/2? Please share.

"● on or before July 9, 2010, I have 15 business days (M-F) from the offer of admission to accept the offer and submit a
$1,000 deposit, or
●between July 10 and July 30, 2010, I have until August 2, 2010 to accept the offer and submit a $1,000 deposit, or
● after August 2, 2010:
1) I may be given no more than 2 hours to accept the offer;
2) I will return the admission and enrollment forms to the Registrar's Office on or before August 25, 2010, and
3) I will pay tuition and fees on August 25, 2010."
--> The tuition is due on August 25.

Last edited:
Thanks for the breakdown nhn53002! so for now I will just save $1000 for the deposit and worry about the rest on Aug 24th in case i get an acceptance offer! Who knows maybe I have to follow Johnconner's advice and play some poker or blackjack to pay for my tuition!! :p:D

So the tuition is broken into two payments per year huh? Seriously, how do you plan on finding that money should you get accepted after 8/2? Please share.

"● on or before July 9, 2010, I have 15 business days (M-F) from the offer of admission to accept the offer and submit a
$1,000 deposit, or
●between July 10 and July 30, 2010, I have until August 2, 2010 to accept the offer and submit a $1,000 deposit, or
● after August 2, 2010:
1) I may be given no more than 2 hours to accept the offer;
2) I will return the admission and enrollment forms to the Registrar’s Office on or before August 25, 2010, and
3) I will pay tuition and fees on August 25, 2010."
--> The tuition is due on August 25.

Fun stuff lol I'm most likely going to decline the offer and hope for better results next year.

Jew Unit, why would you decline the offer?

I love pharmacy and all but $120K before living expenses is a little too much...Next semester I'll be eligible for an instate pharmacy and dental school which are much cheaper. Plus finding $40K for the first year of school isn't going to be easy.

I love pharmacy and all but $120K before living expenses is a little too much...Next semester I'll be eligible for an instate pharmacy and dental school which are much cheaper. Plus finding $40K for the first year of school isn't going to be easy.

True. But accepting USN's offer will give you a 2 year head-start (I assume your instate is a traditional 4 year program). With that 2 years, you can make quite enough. My opinion.

Less than a month away before our white coat ceremony and class starts :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Gah, I'm still completing my immunizations from last year. I have one more shot and I don't want to pay for it. At least you don't have to buy the white coats. I heard some schools make you do that.

Gah, I'm still completing my immunizations from last year. I have one more shot and I don't want to pay for it. At least you don't have to buy the white coats. I heard some schools make you do that.

Wait, they let you do your rotations without having all your immunizations? I thought they all needed to be up to date before hand? I have the second series vericella shot left to get. I wish i would have gotten the titer because i didnt have record of the shot, the shots are 90 a piece...ugh. I still have to do my BG check and drug screen within the next couple weeks too.

True. But accepting USN's offer will give you a 2 year head-start (I assume your instate is a traditional 4 year program). With that 2 years, you can make quite enough. My opinion.

Great point! My original plan was to apply for Fall of 2011 at a 4-year school in Cali. But when I found out that USN was a 3-year school AND they didn't require the entire year of general bio, I was able to rearrange my class schedule to complete my prereqs and apply a year earlier. Knocked 2 years off my original plan.

Wait, they let you do your rotations without having all your immunizations? I thought they all needed to be up to date before hand? I have the second series vericella shot left to get. I wish i would have gotten the titer because i didnt have record of the shot, the shots are 90 a piece...ugh. I still have to do my BG check and drug screen within the next couple weeks too.

You don't need to do them for retail rotations and the hospital ones will let you work there if you started the shots that come in a series. At least, I think that must be the case because I got to do an IPPE in a hospital and I still haven't finished everything. I was supposed to complete everything by May 15th but I don't think the school cares as long as I'm done by the time school starts.

Just a heads up, if anyone lives in socal, you can get your immunizations for free at a health clinic in Compton (kinda scary but actually very nice). I got everything for free except the varicella which I already had chickenpox, so I paid $25 for blood titers.

When is the White Coat Ceremony?

Im pretty sure that its during orientation week, which is the 25-27. Not sure which day it is, but i would assume the 27th. Im guessing we will get more information sent to us the closer it gets to school starting. Does that sound right Diastole?

Just a heads up, if anyone lives in socal, you can get your immunizations for free at a health clinic in Compton (kinda scary but actually very nice). I got everything for free except the varicella which I already had chickenpox, so I paid $25 for blood titers.

how long does it take to get the results back from the titers? im thinking of doing this and not paying the 90 bucks for the second vericella shot.

Im pretty sure that its during orientation week, which is the 25-27. Not sure which day it is, but i would assume the 27th. Im guessing we will get more information sent to us the closer it gets to school starting. Does that sound right Diastole?

That sounds right. Last year, I believe we had it on a Friday in the afternoon and this year I have to go to school on the 26th but have the 27th off. I assume that is because the faculty is going to be at the White Coat Ceremony.

Make sure you know how to iron. Those coats come in bags so they have big wrinkles in them when you take them out. It just doesn't look right when you have some big wig from the community put on your coat and it is all wrinkled.

That sounds right. Last year, I believe we had it on a Friday in the afternoon and this year I have to go to school on the 26th but have the 27th off. I assume that is because the faculty is going to be at the White Coat Ceremony.

Make sure you know how to iron. Those coats come in bags so they have big wrinkles in them when you take them out. It just doesn't look right when you have some big wig from the community put on your coat and it is all wrinkled.

I just hope I gave them the right size at orientation, lol.

I just hope I gave them the right size at orientation, lol.

Hello folkx

Any one of class 2013 ( i mean pharmacy program) have got the FA award letter? Aug is coming...

Thanks

Hey
anyone got acceptance call? Please let me know... I m so worried ....

I just learned about this site and was planning on applying to USN next fall using academic forgiveness, but the degree of difficulty being expressed by current students seem to be abnormally high due to the school staff. (I read all 26 pages from beginning to end).

Some "unfair" difficulties posted:
-the lecture and the test did not match
-unfair teachers
-subjects that are presented 5 minutes before a test

As for my background, I have a BS in biochemistry and has been working as a pharmacy tech for 5 years.

Anyways, I believe one of the current students posted a sample of the daily curriculum and it did not seem that difficult to me. She also posted things that a first year should learn during the summer to prepare for school and these were things that I already know and was very basic to me.......

So can someone with a degree in Biochemistry and going to USN answer a question for me.

How hard is the curriculum compared to Biochem? The hardest class for my major was Biochem + a very special teacher. Let just say that there was a 90 percent FAIL rate in her class (I was one of them) and they didn't let her teach the subject again when everyone complained. To pass her class you literally had to memorize the book from beginning to end, since she will ask ANYTHING that could be in it. This includes those little side boxes that tells little stories about how the subject matter relates to real life that no one reads. Yes, EVERYONE in the class failed that question. While taking the class a second time I got an A since the amount of data I have to memorize was a lot more reasonable.

So how hard is USN if I am coming from a biochemistry background?

I just learned about this site and was planning on applying to USN next fall using academic forgiveness, but the degree of difficulty being expressed by current students seem to be abnormally high due to the school staff. (I read all 26 pages from beginning to end).

Some "unfair" difficulties posted:
-the lecture and the test did not match
-unfair teachers
-subjects that are presented 5 minutes before a test

I wanted to address this unfair part. The first two points are matters of opinion but I can't see how the last point can possibly be true. There isn't lecture on the same day as exams so there is no way to introduce something 5 minutes before a test. In fact, the lecture the day before an exam is usually not on the next day's exam either. Now if you fail the exam, there is a review before the retake but there isn't new material introduced. If it seems new to you, you did a poor job studying and blaming the prof is a way of avoiding responsibility.

A biochem major should be able to breeze through the first month or so because everything will be review. After that, it is more like physiology plus drugs. Since you have worked as a tech, the drugs will be much easier to learn. If you did well in A&P and have decent study habits, I doubt the school will be that hard for you.

I found out my exact spot on the list...Looks like I'm not going to make it this year...Atleast there's always next year.

How did you find your exact spot? Did you call and ask Dr. Deyoung?

Last edited:
I wanted to address this unfair part. The first two points are matters of opinion but I can't see how the last point can possibly be true. There isn't lecture on the same day as exams so there is no way to introduce something 5 minutes before a test. In fact, the lecture the day before an exam is usually not on the next day's exam either. Now if you fail the exam, there is a review before the retake but there isn't new material introduced. If it seems new to you, you did a poor job studying and blaming the prof is a way of avoiding responsibility.

A biochem major should be able to breeze through the first month or so because everything will be review. After that, it is more like physiology plus drugs. Since you have worked as a tech, the drugs will be much easier to learn. If you did well in A&P and have decent study habits, I doubt the school will be that hard for you.

Yes, currently working to get my ADHD under control. Testing how effective the treatment is by taking pre-reqs and developing new study techniques to build habits.

The common drugs and fast movers are easy to learn while working though. I am actually not quite sure about some of the comments about math and calculations. I find most of the calculations to be easy, including the IV stuff I did at tech school. I just pretended it was quantitative chem. I think if you done a lot of chem solution calculations and preparations before, this shouldn't be difficult.

Biochem also really helps in understanding some of the mechanisms when I read the drug guide (its been slow during the summer, and needed something to do at work). I think its because my school focus a lot on not just knowledge but on how to apply it. None of our questions are ever straight forward and straight memorizing doesn't work if you can't apply what you learned. Its like a few months back when we discovered that we have a few bottles of N-acetyl-cysteine in stock. The applications doen't become apparent unless you know the properties of the amino acid cysteine and where it is being administered. They are using it to break up disulfide bonds in mucus.

Or like when I read the ingredients in a energy drink, I might not know what those random herbal ingredients are, but I think I have an idea of what the drink is doing to my basic metabolism. The obvious stuff (sugars and intermediates) feeding Glycolysis, they using caffeine to keep citrate synthase active, vitamins as cofactors, while feeding the TCA cycle using transamination of the amino acids into alpha ketoglutamate.

Hello folkx

Any one of class 2013 ( i mean pharmacy program) have got the FA award letter? Aug is coming...

Thanks

Yes, I got mine through email. You will not get anything from snail mail, its all email.

Hello folkx

Thanks

you really should call them, I did because I hadn't received anything either, only to find out they were missing documents for me, one of my friends who's been through grad school before reminded me financial aid offices are the one dept that don't care if you get your stuff together you have to be on top of them! especially before its too late

I found out my exact spot on the list...Looks like I'm not going to make it this year...Atleast there's always next year.

I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna apply to like 15 schools and just go anywhere I get accepted because I would like to be done with school by the age of 30! Especially since i've been going nonstop. My life is mostly on hold until I finish school, so I wanna finish school and start my career!:zip:

Thank you for the info saki1210. Do you have their phone number? Do we need an appointment?

20 days and counting until The first day of Orientation :D

Hi ,

You are such a kind guy on here to help us as applicants and just -accepted students with info about USN.
Thanks a lot.
BTW, i want to ask if we need to review any chem,bio or biochem before the P1 class starts?

Thanks

Hi ,

You are such a kind guy on here to help us as applicants and just -accepted students with info about USN.
Thanks a lot.
BTW, i want to ask if we need to review any chem,bio or biochem before the P1 class starts?

Thanks

They will teach you everything you need to know. However, if you already know it, you don't have to work as hard in school when they teach it. If you are having lots of fun this summer, continue doing that so you show up relaxed and ready to learn. If you are bored out of your skull, you could pick up a biochem book and learn some pathways. I wouldn't feel bad if you don't get to it though.

Thank you for the info saki1210. Do you have their phone number? Do we need an appointment?

Sorry have been super busy & didn't have time to post a reply. You don't need to make an appt, you show up, sign papers and wait for awhile like 2 hours. When its your turn you tell them what shots you need.

It's called South Health Center Immunizations 323-563-4114

I had my varicella titers done and got the results after 4 days but I tested negative so now I have to freaking redo that crap & get the shots. Not a happy camper considering I already had the damn chickenpox!

Sorry have been super busy & didn't have time to post a reply. You don't need to make an appt, you show up, sign papers and wait for awhile like 2 hours. When its your turn you tell them what shots you need.

It's called South Health Center Immunizations 323-563-4114

I had my varicella titers done and got the results after 4 days but I tested negative so now I have to freaking redo that crap & get the shots. Not a happy camper considering I already had the damn chickenpox!

Thanks saki1210, most places that I called require a doctor's authorization to give blood test. How about this place of yours?

You'll need 4 weeks to get the chickenpox 2 shot series done, and the deadline is August 20, so I'm wondering what's up?

I had chickenpox too when I was 6 or 7 and I'm going to have titers tomorrow hoping it will show immunity.

When is the first day of classes? Is it August 30th? Is the tuition due by that day?!

I hope the rest of the loan money gets to utah fast, they told me it would be 2-3 days from the 25th...I need it to pay rent on the 1st of sept lol.

I am assuming because I am getting student loans that the money will automatically be sent to the school by the 25th, right?