USN Flight Doc Training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me (or send me a descriptive link) the training a USN flight surgeon undergoes?

Specifically:
How much of the 6 months in Pensacola is flight school and how much is medical training? What does the 6 mo. of training allow you to do out in the fleet (e.g., fly P-3 but not F-18)? What are the monthly flying hour reqs. for docs? Do you get flight pay/bonus? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Could someone please explain to me (or send me a descriptive link) the training a USN flight surgeon undergoes?

Specifically:
How much of the 6 months in Pensacola is flight school and how much is medical training? What does the 6 mo. of training allow you to do out in the fleet (e.g., fly P-3 but not F-18)? What are the monthly flying hour reqs. for docs? Do you get flight pay/bonus? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks!

The course has been tailored one way and another over the years, but basically there are three parts: (1)a mini-OIS, largely a waste of time for the Navy interns, but the basic instruction on officerdom for the new accessions off the street: marching around, who to salute, what to wear and all that. There was training in aircraft egress with dunkers, dive decompression chamber, swim training, land survival, parachute egress over water and helo rescue in water, (2) an aviation medicine and physiology component with didactic lectures about physiology of flight, anoxia, etc, and aspects of various medical disciplines as they pertain to the aviation community, and admin issues for flight surgeons And (3) basic flight training. This was done at a remote base about an hour northeast of Pensacola. When I did the FS course, the candidates had to choose either fixed-wing or rotary training. You couldn't do both. Fixed wing started on the T-34 mockup, then the primary flight course. If you got scheduled well and the weather was good, you could get enough flights in to solo. The rotary guys couldn't solo. During the first and second parts, they made us take sick call clinic at the hospital.

You aren't qualified for any combat platform after flight school. You can be assigned to any kind of squadron or claimancy billet from there.

All naval aviators progress through several phases of primary training beyond basic: instrument, formation, aerobatics. There is a billet for a flight surgeon at the training command.

Combat aircraft training diversifies after basic. Where you go depends on what community you have selected. Flight surgeons do not do this. P-3 aviators went to advanced prop then to the RAG (replenishment air group) for type qualifications. After that, they get their first assignments in an operational squadron. Helo guys had a separate pathway after completing primary fixed-wing training. Jets was the longest IIRC, a couple of years in all.

I flew with a P-3 squadron. If you like travel, it's great. Getting hours is easy. On the whole, I really liked my squadron experience.

I am way too far out to tell you anything about pay. You get all the usual medical bonuses and some extra when deployed (though not like in the old old days when the deployed guys got full U.S. Gov't per diem).

Thanks! As an aside, would you recommend FSO over DMO? I have a background in Aerospace Physiology but I love SCUBA diving. thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Thanks! As an aside, would you recommend FSO over DMO? I have a background in Aerospace Physiology but I love SCUBA diving. thanks again!

Can't say, I never did DMO. I know that the DMO training command prided itself on its pushups in the mud way of business, but I don't think any docs ever had a problem. Duty seems to vary. One guy from my internship year--a psych intern-- was attached to a special warfare unit. He traveled a lot. I met up with him briefly when I was deployed in Sigonella. He was headed somewhere he couldn't talk about. Another was stationed in the PI until the volcano blew doing ER and dive chamber work.

My understanding is that DMOs don't do much water diving. Their dives are usually decompression chamber dives. The gouge then among them was that you did not want a tender assignment, even a sub tender.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:

Specifically:

check out this web site...more gouge than necessary, but all the info is there..I didn't read any other replies, but here is my take (I am a FS with a Marine AV-8B squadron). The 6 months in p-town: 9 weeks of aeromedical related training, the rest is API (aviation pre-flight indoc), ground school and primary..see website for more details. You can fly in anything that can hold you and has a pilot to have actual control of the the aircraft, e.g., a two seat tactical jet (usually dual controlled, or trainers), prowlers, hercs, P3's etc. You really have no limitations unless you don't fit (too tall, or too small for certain ejection seat platforms). You are supposed to fly at least 4 hours/month, you get standard AIP (aviation incentive pay) and get bonuses as a medical corps officer if you are in an operational billet...which you will be doing for at least two years after FS training. I have had a great time, traveled the globe on short training dets and would do it all over again...regarding the DMO thing, can't speak too much towards it, but my intern buddies that are doing it have mixed emotions...which you find anywhere. Good luck and here is that site...

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/index.htm

also see the NUMI link for DMO stuff :)

A quick update about the Navy's student flight surgeon curriculum since I just finished attending a conference with about 70 other naval flight surgeons. The course now convenes in July, September and November yearly. It lasts 28 weeks long and typically has about 25 student FS's per class. The first two weeks are intro, aviation physiology stuff. The next 16 weeks are spent in flight training. You go through aviation preflight indoctrination, then go through a bastardized flight training program that culminates in 7 flights in the T-34 (fixed wing prop 2 seater, fully acrobatic) and 3-5 flights in the TH-57 Sea Ranger (training helicopter). Then you go back to the classroom and spend about 8 weeks learning aviation specific medicine and flight surgeon specific duties. Include two weeks of leave (vacation) over the Christmas break and viola - you've spent 28 weeks to get your flight surgeon wings. While you won't get a chance to solo - unless you steal an aircraft, but then you'll go to Fort Leavenworth for that - but you do get good exposure to various flight regimes. About 10 weeks before you're scheduled to graduate, the FS detailer will present a list of jobs that your FS class must fill. It's partly up to the class itself to decide who goes where, but the powers that be can have the final say so.

Try the link that pescaDr gave you and PM me with any specific questions.

Cheers.