USN-University of Southern Nevada - Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i choose us bank also for stafford and citibank for grad plus. I only sent the promissory note to the banks, and filled out the paperwork that usn required. I got approved for citibank, but they won't/can't do anything until us bank approves my stafford loan.

I think i'm going to call usbank on monday. If they drag their feet, i'm going with someone else.

thx for the reply

edited: i called usbank, and found out that I put the wrong socia sec. numberl..I'm a ******.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i choose us bank also for stafford and citibank for grad plus. I only sent the promissory note to the banks, and filled out the paperwork that usn required. I got approved for citibank, but they won't/can't do anything until us bank approves my stafford loan.

I think i'm going to call usbank on monday. If they drag their feet, i'm going with someone else.

thx for the reply

edited: i called usbank, and found out that I put the wrong socia sec. numberl..I'm a ******.

Dear All,

Congratulations for your success. I am joining USN for the Orthodontic & MBA program in August. I am looking for a room to rent or an apartment to share near USN. Please contact me if you have any availability. I am visiting USN on June 6.

Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Miss TOFU,
This sounds wonderful to hear from a P2--congrats on your first year down. How was your P1 year? Any advice to us youngsters?
Thanks for the help and hand of love.

Id like to know about P1 as well! What were the most difficult classes? Is there anything we should do to prepare? I am really excited, but yesterday I worked with a pharmacist at my job who said his pharmacy school was extremely difficult and he hated it. Im expecting it to be difficult, but he made me nervous!!

Hi,
I am P3 students. I have 2 rooms available. Male or female are ok. The house is few minutes away school.
It is very new, quiet & safe for studying. Please PM or email me if interested.
Email: [email protected]
thanks

Is anyone in the USN PharmD program also starting the MBA program this July?

Everyone I email about housing doesn't respond. Anyone else on here having the same problem? I'm trying to find a place to stay, and don't want to wait until August to get that settled.

For those that are interested our white coat ceremony is friday Aug. 22 :p

Everyone I email about housing doesn't respond. Anyone else on here having the same problem? I'm trying to find a place to stay, and don't want to wait until August to get that settled.

Yeah, Its like everyone went to vacation or something...

Yeah, Its like everyone went to vacation or something...

I know exactly what you guys mean. I have emailed half of the people on that list, and some already have roommates, and the rest i haven't heard from. It is really frustrating, and in no time August will be here!

That's weird that no one answers to all the emails about housing and stuff. As for me, I contact one person and was able to get an immediate response.
Maybe those people you guys contacted don't check their emails often, you guys should try to call them with the number given on the list. Sometimes email gets transfer into the bulk mail and gets deleted.

GL!

I know exactly what you guys mean. I have emailed half of the people on that list, and some already have roommates, and the rest i haven't heard from. It is really frustrating, and in no time August will be here!

It was like that for me as well. I had emailed everyone off the list and only got responses from alumni or newly graduated students trying to rent out their condos|houses. The only reason I found a roommate was by physically calling people up and leaving voicemails. Try doing that instead of emails. Hopefully that will work. Good luck.

For those that are interested our white coat ceremony is friday Aug. 22 :p

How did you figure out when the white coat ceremony was? Did you ask somebody because I haven't gotten any paperwork about the specific date.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you figure out when the white coat ceremony was? Did you ask somebody because I haven't gotten any paperwork about the specific date.

Thanks!

Hi gooniesgrl4ever I actually spoke with Laurie Briggs and she told me the date of the white coat ceremony

Id like to know about P1 as well! What were the most difficult classes? Is there anything we should do to prepare? I am really excited, but yesterday I worked with a pharmacist at my job who said his pharmacy school was extremely difficult and he hated it. Im expecting it to be difficult, but he made me nervous!!

If you keep up your work, then there is nothing to be worried about! I would have to say the hardest classes...hmm biochem!! =D other than that, you'll find everything like a piece of cake...i mean not really....but if you study, don't procrastinate! then you're good to go!!! good luck everyone, it's not hard, as long as you understand and memorize them well. THEN NO PROBLEM..=D :laugh::laugh:
I think you all should be excited than worry....trust me it's not hard as long do what i said above, and if you don't understand something, then don't skip it, call your classmate and try to figure out what it means, you may think "oh it's only 1 section, maybe i can get 1 wrong..but who knows if you get other questions wrong too"?? !! Always, try to have a confidence that you will make 100% on the test, and incase if you miss a few questions, it's still in the passing range, and make up mnemonics...On the other hand, don't be so distracted with the boys and the girls in class okie?? ....:love::love:
One thing to keep in mind, Dr. metzger's stuff is going to be around very often, it comes back again and again...and the Sympathetic and parasympathetic stuff, remember what effects alpha and beta have, cholinergic and muscarinic well...if you remember them well...you'll find it a lot easier..maybe you have no ideas what I just wrote...but just keep them in mind, when you see them, try to know them well... =D
GOOD LUCK
Tofu...

Hello yall, well i finally found a new place in henderson, I signed up with Camden Commons, which IMHO is pretty nice, good security, and alot of amenities.

For those still looking for a place and interested in renting a room, you guys should contact either:

[email protected] (Vince)

or

[email protected] (Lita)

both of them have houses for rent, or rooms for rent. Both of the hourses are very nice. However, one is cheaper but one is closer. So contact them, I'm sure they'll fill up fast. I personally ended up with my own place.

Good luck

I agree, Camden Apartments are really nice. I'll be in Camden Tiara and the facilities are great (swimming pool, spa, 24 hour security gated community, 9 foot ceilings, roman tubs, etc.) for a decent price compared to LA.

My question is, what is the law concerning obtaining Nevada Drivers License, vehicle registration, and car insurance? I know the state gives 30 days for new residence to register with the state of Nevada, but they also say it excludes out-of-state students. So should I even bother getting a Nevada license plate as well the drivers license? I plan to be in Nevada for 3 years, 2 if I can do my rotation elsewhere. Hopefully someone knows the answer to this because I know that I will end up driving to our externships and jobs and if I get pulled over for traffic violations, I won't be penalized any further for the lack of proper identification. I guess I'm paranoid that way, sorry :)

I signed with Mesa Club apartments it like 1 min. from USN and the apartments are remodeled and nice :)

I agree, Camden Apartments are really nice. I'll be in Camden Tiara and the facilities are great (swimming pool, spa, 24 hour security gated community, 9 foot ceilings, roman tubs, etc.) for a decent price compared to LA.

My question is, what is the law concerning obtaining Nevada Drivers License, vehicle registration, and car insurance? I know the state gives 30 days for new residence to register with the state of Nevada, but they also say it excludes out-of-state students. So should I even bother getting a Nevada license plate as well the drivers license? I plan to be in Nevada for 3 years, 2 if I can do my rotation elsewhere. Hopefully someone knows the answer to this because I know that I will end up driving to our externships and jobs and if I get pulled over for traffic violations, I won't be penalized any further for the lack of proper identification. I guess I'm paranoid that way, sorry :)

I was told that students don't need to get a nevada drivers license we just need to carry our school ID with us. If your going to work in nevada I believe then you need to get a drivers license within 30 days. I think I'm going to get a drivers license when I get there so I can become a resident and work...the good thing is they don't charge you state tax.

be aware, they cut up your california drivers license if you get a nevada license (punch a hole in it). However, just go back to california and say you lost it. Thats what my buddy did. He got the nevada license for "no state income tax" and free entry to um..............:D

As for me, I'm probably not going to get a nevada license. I'm lazy and I don't want more fee's to pay.

Diazomethane: how do you plan on furnishing your place? I'm at odds at the moment. Moving from OC is expensive, but then again buying new stuff is also expensive. There is also craigslist, but man I dont want roaches.

be aware, they cut up your california drivers license if you get a nevada license (punch a hole in it). However, just go back to california and say you lost it. Thats what my buddy did. He got the nevada license for "no state income tax" and free entry to um..............:D

As for me, I'm probably not going to get a nevada license. I'm lazy and I don't want more fee's to pay.

Diazomethane: how do you plan on furnishing your place? I'm at odds at the moment. Moving from OC is expensive, but then again buying new stuff is also expensive. There is also craigslist, but man I dont want roaches.

Thanx for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. As for furnishing my apartment, we're renting a 17' UHAUL truck that costs us close to $780 including movers to load and unload the truck. Because my bf is moving with me, I split the cost with him so I only ended up paying $390. I used part of the vacation cash out from my previous job to pay for it.

Craigslist is an ok place to get furnitures, but I usually rely on IKEA, Crate and Barrel, and Target. Too bad they don't have IKEA in the Vegas area. Crate and Barrel is pricey, but luckily they have I believe 3 Targets there. I was a pharm tech for Target, so I get 10% discount. I also know when a good deal comes along just because I work there and well informed of sales/clearance before anyone :D.

I guess I'm not much of a help, but Target usually has good deals even without sales. You can get ideas from Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn store without having to buy from them. As for roaches, I'm planning on bug bombing my place a day before so I get hopefully 4-6 months protection.

I signed with Mesa Club apartments it like 1 min. from USN and the apartments are remodeled and nice :)

Mesa seems like a nice place, and should of checked it out, but I kept getting lost this weekend, so I just signed with camden. I just went with whatever was closest to the campus and had a pool nearby.

Diazomethane: you have convinced me to get a moving truck also. I also managed to con a few of my buddies to come along, but mainly because I need a ride back to Socal :thumbup:. After experiencing the heat this weekend, I want to avoid actual living in LV for as long as possible. 120 degrees is insane. Now, I know why everyone stays on campus, its to take advantage of free AC. I hate roaches. I think I might bug bomb my place too before moving in. It'll kill mites and whatever else that didn't move out with the previous tenants.

Camden commons has a "anti-intrusion alarm"....lol. I have no idea what that means. It looks like a non-functioning alarm system used to deter god knows what:eek:

Last edited:
Found some pretty promising places on craigslist. Someones willing to rent out their living room couch for $200 a month (cheap). Saw a couple of postings for free rooms if willing to do the whole roommates with benefits route. That latter option was not so personally appealing.

Found some pretty promising places on craigslist. Someones willing to rent out their living room couch for $200 a month (cheap). Saw a couple of postings for free rooms if willing to do the whole roommates with benefits route. That latter option was not so personally appealing.

soooooOoooOOOo, anything goes in vegas? :laugh:

So who here still has not found a place?? Or looking for potential roommates?

I still have not found a place. Probably going to find somewhere to live the week before orientation.

I still have not found a place. Probably going to find somewhere to live the week before orientation.

You should check with these two. THey both have nice places to rent for cheap.

[email protected] (Vince)

or

[email protected] (Lita)

both of them have houses for rent, or rooms for rent. Both of the hourses are very nice. However, one is cheaper but one is closer. So contact them, I'm sure they'll fill up fast. I personally ended up with my own place.

Good luck

I came up to Henderson yesterday and was on the fence about deciding between Broadstone agave vs. Mesa Club. They both seem to be really great choices until I came home and decided to do some research and had stumble across some really bad reviews for both places. Here is the link if interested

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NV-Henderson-Mesa-Club-Apartments.html

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rat...alley-And-Camden-Greens-And-Oasis-Greens.html

Phrm girl, when you signed up with them did they take you to see the "model/furnished" unit or the unit you would be physically living in? My roommate and I begged them to let us see our unit, but she said that it "was not ready at this time." Also, the pool had been shut down for maintanence (while the reviews said that it was shut down because the dept of health found it to be contaminated). On the otherhand, the tour that I was lead on for both apts had really impressed me. So I don't know if this is a marketing ploy to get renters to be attracted to these places or if what they say is the real deal. Let me know what your experience was because I am so worried about this place. I haven't commited yet, but have put down a $100 deposit to hold the apt for now.
Thanks.

I came up to Henderson yesterday and was on the fence about deciding between Broadstone agave vs. Mesa Club. They both seem to be really great choices until I came home and decided to do some research and had stumble across some really bad reviews for both places. Here is the link if interested

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NV-Henderson-Mesa-Club-Apartments.html

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rat...alley-And-Camden-Greens-And-Oasis-Greens.html

Phrm girl, when you signed up with them did they take you to see the "model/furnished" unit or the unit you would be physically living in? My roommate and I begged them to let us see our unit, but she said that it "was not ready at this time." Also, the pool had been shut down for maintanence (while the reviews said that it was shut down because the dept of health found it to be contaminated). On the otherhand, the tour that I was lead on for both apts had really impressed me. So I don't know if this is a marketing ploy to get renters to be attracted to these places or if what they say is the real deal. Let me know what your experience was because I am so worried about this place. I haven't commited yet, but have put down a $100 deposit to hold the apt for now.
Thanks.

They showed me a model apartment and I too fell in love. When I was there I got a good vibe and I saw alot of students living there, and its close to USN. Also when I was there they had just opened up there pool so I don't know what happened. I looked on that website (apartmentratings.com) and it seems to me that most apartments in henderson have bad ratings, so I'm not sure what to think. If I were to choose, I would go with mesa club over broadstone cause it seems safer...from the ratings. Feel free to PM if you need any help I hope this helped :)

They showed me a model apartment and I too fell in love. When I was there I got a good vibe and I saw alot of students living there, and its close to USN. Also when I was there they had just opened up there pool so I don't know what happened. I looked on that website (apartmentratings.com) and it seems to me that most apartments in henderson have bad ratings, so I'm not sure what to think. If I were to choose, I would go with mesa club over broadstone cause it seems safer...from the ratings. Feel free to PM if you need any help I hope this helped :)

Thanks Phrm girl 24 you calmed my nerves a bit. I guess if a lot of students live in that complex than it must be pretty safe. The great thing about Mesa was that it is literally minutes from USN. Well thanks again for the info...we might be future neighbors. :)

Does anyone know what the attire is for orientation weak and the white coat ceremony? Is everyone going to wear professional attire or is everyone going casual?

The Nevada DMV told me that as long as I was not employed, i would only have to obtain a Temporary State ID card. I am planning to do this, at least at first.

oooh, i didnt know that. Maybe I'll go get one after all :)

Wait, is orientation the whole week leading up to the first day of school? I have no clue what orientation consists of.

oooh, i didnt know that. Maybe I'll go get one after all :)

Wait, is orientation the whole week leading up to the first day of school? I have no clue what orientation consists of.

Orientation begins weds. Aug 20 and ends friday Aug 22. I believe during orientation we will be doing paper work, and taking the ed fund quiz for our loans etc. That friday is our white coat ceremony....I attended a white ceremony once and all the students were dressed professionally.

Hi all,

I got my answer:

Max Total I can borrow: $64,000 for first year.
I figure that would be about right for my expenses.

(Note: I made Excel sheet, pasted here, looked fine BEFORE SUBMITTING, but looked like below AFTER SUBMITTING....so, if you really want to see the details...please try...)

BORROW $64,000
SCHOOL $38,000
RENT $500X12 MONTHS = $6,000
FOOD $300X12 MONTHS = $3,600
CAR GAS $200X12 MONTHS = $2,400
CAR INSURANCE $100X12 MONTHS = $1,200
CAR REPAIR $100X12 MONTHS = $1,200
MISC $50X12 MONTHS = $600
TRIP HOME: 2 WAY $100X12 MONTHS = $1,200
REPAIRS $50X12 MONTHS = $600
RELIABLE USED CAR = $9,000
NO ENTERTAINMENT $0X12 MONTHS = $0
Total Expenses for First Year: $63,800
After Carefully Spend, I will have this much left: $200

I will manage, cause less repairs, and survive.

Thanks for helping...Financial Aid helps a lot of us to get Higher Education...

Last edited:
Orientation begins weds. Aug 20 and ends friday Aug 22. I believe during orientation we will be doing paper work, and taking the ed fund quiz for our loans etc. That friday is our white coat ceremony....I attended a white ceremony once and all the students were dressed professionally.

How many people can come to our white coat ceremony- parents, family, friends?? Do we need tickets or is it open?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone ever looked into Montego Bay apts? it has bad ratings online but I was wondering if anyone actually experienced living there or heard about its reputation. Please make any recommendations for apts that you have. thanks.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone ever looked into Montego Bay apts? it has bad ratings online but I was wondering if anyone actually experienced living there or heard about its reputation. Please make any recommendations for apts that you have. thanks.

I chose Villa Serena because it's not too far from the school (about 10 minutes away) and it seems to be relatively safe and quiet.

edit

Last edited:
While I like Camden commons, there are a few complexes about a mile north of USN on mountain view that looked really nice. Nice enough to where I kind of regret signing with Camden:(

Are you feeling this regret because of that website, apartmentratings.com? Please don't let that website get you down I signed with the mesa club and they also have not so good ratings but im trying to look at the positives. Its remolded so maybe that fixed alot of issues and they have a new management company which may be better than the previous. I think the camden apartments are also remolded and looked really nice. Lets enjoy our experience of moving away....Im going to enjoy my apartment and if I'm not happy next year I will move. Also a lot of apartments, in henderson, on that site has bad reviews. I hope this makes you feel better. :)

edit

Last edited:
lol, the apartments a little bit north of USN were newer, nicer, and a bit cheaper. I guess its renter's remorse :rolleyes:.

Well I haven't signed with anyone so how can I get that info??

you have to drive around and just look at the places. Check out Solevita and Mesa Ridge. Those are the two complexes that seem very nice. So when are u guys going to do the drug tests? I'm thinking the week of orientation? I'm already paying rent for my apt starting aug 1, but I don't know if I want to actually start living there until the week of orientation (LV heat in aug. is insane).

Last edited:
If anybody needs a room to rent pm me for details. Its a house close to campus.

Hey, I have signed up for Medison apartment which are just back side of Mesa club. I have already started leaving there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:)

hi,
We have one single & new room available now (no one lived in before). RENT: $ 350 ONLY!!!
This is a very new house & 5 min from school. It is very clean, safe & esp. quiet to study. You won't be dissapointed.
PLS CALL OR EMAIL IF ANY QUESTION.
We are P2 & P3 USN students.
CELL: 626 290 6902
email: [email protected]
THANKS

thuy

Hey, I have signed up for Medison apartment which are just back side of Mesa club. I have already started leaving there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:)

How do you like living there? I will going out there in a week i'm excited

if you already know of some good and bad places to live, please list them so that other people who are still looking can get an idea of where to live. thanks