USN-University of Southern Nevada - Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received their loans dispersed to them yet? This is my first time taking out loans, and the financial aid office said that it will be about 1 month after the school starts when i will get my loans. Two days ago, however, I've gotten an email from Dr. DeYoung saying that any tuition payments are due the third week of August, before class starts. Should I pay for the initial amounts and wait for the loans to kick in?

Has anyone received their loans dispersed to them yet? This is my first time taking out loans, and the financial aid office said that it will be about 1 month after the school starts when i will get my loans. Two days ago, however, I've gotten an email from Dr. DeYoung saying that any tuition payments are due the third week of August, before class starts. Should I pay for the initial amounts and wait for the loans to kick in?

I got the letter from the bank saying that the loan will be paid to USN on Aug. 21. You might wanna check the letters sent by bank. And I got the same e-mail saying that 1st payment is due on Aug. 20th??? I thought it was due on Aug. 25th...I am confused too....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
basically, financial aid/loans is paid to USN first (aug 21) but we then have to wait for the money to be cleared by USN before its released to us (whatever else we took out). After that we take it to the bank, and then wait for them to clear the amount...... it takes a while for funds to clear.

I haven't received any info in the mail about my loans. I called the school today and they said they haven't received anything from my lender (MedInvest) and their advice is for me to resign my MPN for both Stafford and GradPLUS to give them a kick. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? The financial aid office said the P2 students that chose MedInvest are going through a similar issue, but I'm a P1 student and the office said P1 students shouldn't be having this problem. I've submitted all documents to both USN and the lender since June 5th. I guess the problem I'm having now is for the two parties to get in touch with each other and verify that I really am a student :(

edit

Last edited:
I have a similar problem with MedInvest. However, the school's financial aid office told me everything was ok and that my loans will be disbursed on time. I'm planning on calling MedInvest today. Will post if I find out more.

I have a similar problem with MedInvest. However, the school's financial aid office told me everything was ok and that my loans will be disbursed on time. I'm planning on calling MedInvest today. Will post if I find out more.

Ditto! I called Medinvest and they told me that they are waiting to hear back from USN's financial aid office. Per USN, they told me that everything looks in order and that they would be submitting all applications or paperwork within the week. Since submitting my apps, I have been calling every week and it looks like USN has been lagging. Let me know if you guys find out any other info...because this whole loan process is very stressful.

I signed with Palm Villas at Whitney Ranch. I had originally filled out an application with Mesa Club, but after dealing with very unfriendly and rude leasing agents, I decided do some more apartment hunting. I probably looked at over 10 complexes and decided to go with Palm Villas because my sister's friend actually lived there for about 2-3 years. It is about $1000 for a 2bed|2bath, comes with a one car garage, one covered parking spot, 2 pools, 2 hot tubs, gym, tennnis court, and volleyball court. Since my roommate and I were worried about the crime in the area, we called the central police station and asked about specific complexes and they confirmed that this area was pretty safe. Also, as others have mentioned earlier you can check out apartmentratings.com. Even though many of the reviews may not necessarily be great or accurate, at least it gives you something to go by. Fyi, I thought it would be necessary to have a cosigner since many apartments require that you make 3X the amount per month in income, but this wasn't the case. Instead, I was able to have USN draw up a letter stating the amounts I will be borrowing for the upcoming year as well as verifying my enrollment. Hope this helps.

I'm starting to think if MedInvest doesn't go through within a week, I'm changing my lender with a better support team. Everytime I call MedInvest, I have to leave a message so someone can call me back another day. Luckily, they called me back today so they said I should reapply at a new MedInvest site. They said MedInvest is transitioning right now and it takes time for things to be rolled over. Now that I've completed the process, I'm waiting for the MedInvest team to call back and verify that I've submitted all documents properly. Hopefully they call back soon.....

I'm starting to think if MedInvest doesn't go through within a week, I'm changing my lender with a better support team. Everytime I call MedInvest, I have to leave a message so someone can call me back another day.

That's been my experience exactly so I plan to do exactly the same thing: if nothing is confirmed by the end of this week, I'll go with someone else.
They told me also that they're still waiting for the school to get back with them so I don't know what to think. But the lack of anything on paper confirming I'll be able to get the loans on time is too stressful for me.

Ok so I talked to MedInvest just now and they basically told me that they're going through some major changes and can't guarantee they will have the funding in time. So basically 2 weeks before the money is due I need to find another lender. SO UPSETTING!!!
Anyone can recommend a fast one? I'll check US Bank. How about Wachovia or Sallie Mae?

Ok so I talked to MedInvest just now and they basically told me that they're going through some major changes and can't guarantee they will have the funding in time. So basically 2 weeks before the money is due I need to find another lender. SO UPSETTING!!!
Anyone can recommend a fast one? I'll check US Bank. How about Wachovia or Sallie Mae?

I spoke with Wachovia before applying and they mentioned that MedInvest was going through changes and possibly not going to be lending. If that happened, another bank would take the loans over, but the terms may not be the same. I went with Wachovia. It was very easy, you can apply and sign your MPN online so that it's faster. I'm sure most of the other banks have the same system. If you switch now, you should be fine. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

fastest was citibank. Everything was done online, and forms were easy to fill out. It literally took like a day or two on citibanks part. US bank was a little slower (mainly because their website is confusing).

I just realized that were only getting $34,389 from are stafford loans and tuition is $38,000, the rest of the tuition is coming from our pockets for me that would be my plus loans. This is sort of a bumber but I guess it could be worse. :eek:

I got the call from MedInvest about not being able to secure funds before the Aug 20th deadline today. The representative told me herself that I should choose another lender. I chose Wachovia for both Stafford and GradPLUS and it took me 15 minutes to complete the process. Unlike MedInvest, customer service is better and enables me to check my loan status online. I also drove to USN Financial Aid Office to turn in my new loan application and void the ones I submitted in the past. Apparently, USN is informed about this and they may be expecting many MedInvest customers to switch to other lenders within the week.

I signed with Palm Villas at Whitney Ranch. I had originally filled out an application with Mesa Club, but after dealing with very unfriendly and rude leasing agents, I decided do some more apartment hunting. I probably looked at over 10 complexes and decided to go with Palm Villas because my sister's friend actually lived there for about 2-3 years. It is about $1000 for a 2bed|2bath, comes with a one car garage, one covered parking spot, 2 pools, 2 hot tubs, gym, tennnis court, and volleyball court. Since my roommate and I were worried about the crime in the area, we called the central police station and asked about specific complexes and they confirmed that this area was pretty safe. Also, as others have mentioned earlier you can check out apartmentratings.com. Even though many of the reviews may not necessarily be great or accurate, at least it gives you something to go by. Fyi, I thought it would be necessary to have a cosigner since many apartments require that you make 3X the amount per month in income, but this wasn't the case. Instead, I was able to have USN draw up a letter stating the amounts I will be borrowing for the upcoming year as well as verifying my enrollment. Hope this helps.
That's where I'll be too. That's 3 USNers there as far as I know. I was referred there by someone on this forum and I hope she gets her reward for the referral. They've been pretty helpful when I've called.

Anyone signed up for Medison at green valley apartment?

I signed with Broadstone Agave. They seem really nice apartments, brand new, and the staff is very helpful in the application process.I actually haven't seen the apartments in person since I live so far, but they seem nice from the pics online, and I know someone else that checked it and liked it! I got a 2bed/2bath for under $1000, and also it is like 0.5 miles from school, which is great. I will be moving August 17th! If you guys have any questions, or want a referral PM me or just ask on here, I would be glad to help in any way!

if you already know of some good and bad places to live, please list them so that other people who are still looking can get an idea of where to live. thanks

Generally speaking, East of boulder highway is bad. Henderson is a good area overall. Anywhere south of Sunset Rd is a good area as well. I would avoid the areas close to the strip and UNLV.

If you're looking for a realtor, I have a good one. PM if you need a recommendation.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Any of you know any place for me to live at Utah? I just got accepted. Have no idea about Utah housing.
Thank you very much

I just got the acceptance to USN, South Jordan Campus. I am applying for financial aid now. Is that true that we have pay interstest for loans while we are still attending school?
Any how, any one have a place to live in Utah and wanna to share room. Let me know.Thanks.
Cheers. See all of you

uhu. Iwas in the wating list

I just got the acceptance to USN, South Jordan Campus. I am applying for financial aid now. Is that true that we have pay interstest for loans while we are still attending school?
Any how, any one have a place to live in Utah and wanna to share room. Let me know.Thanks.
Cheers. See all of you

You don't have to pay interest while in school, although you can if you want to.

Cheers. See all of you

I thought Dr. DeYoung said if anyone on the waitlist got accepted after july 1st then they have to find there own means of paying for the first semester of school. The financial aid deadline was june 30th. Im sure he would of mentioned it if you were just accepted...

Iam a p1 student at Henderson campus. I am looking for 2 clean, organized, studious and quiet roomates, preferably girls. Rent is $350/month plus 1/3 utilities. The house is located in a very nice and quiet neighborhood and very closed to many great resteraunts and grocery stores. If you're interested in, please email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Have you guys done the criminal background check online yet? And the drug test too. I remember that Dr. DeYoung said on the email that don't do it b/4 Aug. 1st. So I guess we can get it done now, right?

Hi guys,

Have you guys done the criminal background check online yet? And the drug test too. I remember that Dr. DeYoung said on the email that don't do it b/4 Aug. 1st. So I guess we can get it done now, right?
Hi
Where will you go to do the drug test?

Hi guys,

Haha, I forgot about the drug test and criminal background check, but that e-mail sent to us about the dilute samples made me remember.

I did the Criminal background check online yesterday and it was really quick, just fill out the form, credit card info and that's it.

As for the Drug test, the e-mail said that anytime after 8/01/08 is good, but that they will notify us if we didn't have it done by orientation, 8/20/08.

The attached file also said that there were two locations in Vegas. However, I'm not sure if we are supposed to have it done there and only there.

I called the office in east Vegas and they said that they are walk-in and don't take appointments. So for those who are going to the Henderson Campus, you can go and do it a day or two before Aug 20th.

Hope that helps.

Is there anything else that has to be done except the above and have the payment in?

When I finished both the background and drug test, I got a call from Dr.D, and said welcome to USN, and gave me more info about orientation.

Anyways, for people who have lived in LV/Henderson, what is good to eat around here that doesnt involve the strip??? I'm sure there are some local hotspots? Anyone? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

When I finished both the background and drug test, I got a call from Dr.D, and said welcome to USN, and gave me more info about orientation.

Anyways, for people who have lived in LV/Henderson, what is good to eat around here that doesnt involve the strip??? I'm sure there are some local hotspots? Anyone? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Go by Sunset Station

My boyfriend and I went to an all-you-can eat sushi bar that was around $25. I found the business card from them:

Sushi on Tropicana
2625 E. Tropicana Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89121

Last edited:
Does anyone know if USN requires business attire for class and clinical rotations? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if USN requires business attire for class and clinical rotations? Thanks in advance.

One of the P2 student told me that we need to have business attire during our clinical rotations. (Correct me if I have a wrong information)

edit[;

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I wanted to dye my hair and the color that I've always wanted to dye it was a really dark blue/black color. It looks black indoors and has a dark blue hue in the sunlight. I was wondering if there would be a dresscode against this. :confused: anyone know? Thanks.

4 and 1/2 days left til you know what, are you guys excited, nervous, etc?:)

I am very excited about meeting new classmates and hoping that we will support and help each other thru out the next 3 yrs, but Iam also nervious about studying and testing. It's probably not as bad as we thought.

Hey- couple of questions:
First, i just got an email about the Loan interview. Does this apply if we only have loans from the lenders on the list, like Bank of America, etc?

And also, does anyone know what exactly the white coat ceremony entails? Is it like a graduation where everyone's name is called and each person gets up, or is it more of a general thing for the whole class? Do we need to talk at all, etc?

Thanks!

4 and 1/2 days left til you know what, are you guys excited, nervous, etc?:)

Nervous...check...excited...check...so I would say all of the above! My roomie and I have been going crazy thinking about school. :eek:

Hey- couple of questions:
First, i just got an email about the Loan interview. Does this apply if we only have loans from the lenders on the list, like Bank of America, etc?

And also, does anyone know what exactly the white coat ceremony entails? Is it like a graduation where everyone's name is called and each person gets up, or is it more of a general thing for the whole class? Do we need to talk at all, etc?

Thanks!

The Loan Interview is for anyone taking out Loans for the school, no matter the lender. Don't worry, the online test really only takes about 15 min. :)

Tomorrows the day :D....I'm excited! Can't wait to meet everyone

that was alot of info today, so its time to hit the :sleep:

Hey Miss Tofu,
so what about this going out for dinner and/or bowling idea? Let's make it happen! PM me if you want. I'd love to meet more people and find out about all the fun places around here :). By the way, I took your advise and rented at Legends. I LOVE it so far!

Cheers,
Asia

hey guys nice to see a thread dedicated solely to your class. I have been invited for the interview and i have picked 18th of nov. As i read from one of the USN students that if given a chance one should take the interview early. USN has rolling admission enrollment? I am really excited and nervous about the interview , as it counts the most towards my admissions. I really need help from you guys regarding the interview, really want to make it for the class of 2012 and be yr junior. It will be wonderful to get help and tips from all of you. Thanks