usnews admissions stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do the "accepted" stats include those accepted off the waitlist, or is it just the number of out and out acceptances that the school sends?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did the math and according to the USNews online edition...the % accepted was "all offers made" / "total applicants"

So it includes offers off the wait list as well.

I do not understand how US News knows total accepted. The only public information for each medical school is to be found in the the AAMC's Medical School Admission Requirements and even that has to be interpreted..

For each medical school there is a table at the end of the medical school's two page entry. The table gives # of applicants, # interviewed, and then NEW ENTRANTS. Careless readers take that to mean number accepted, but it is not; the figure is the number actually enrolled in the first-year class, a number always smaller than the number accepted. How much smaller then the total accepted varies from medical school to medical school. Some medical schools have to offer more acceptances than others to fill their class. It is not difficult to understand why:

Some smaller state schools accept only state residents; the in-state pool may be comparatively small and many accepted residents choose to attend.

Some medical schools carry so much prestige that a high proportion of the smaller interviewed and accepted pool chooses to attend.

Private, relatively non-prestigious medical schools, with relatively large class sizes have to interview more and offer more acceptances to fill their classes.

Some private medical schools have arrangements with some undergraduate colleges to accept a higher proportion of their applicants, so that the available places on the "open market" are much fewer than total class size.

"Statistics" is not a simple case of putting one number in the numerator and another in the denominater, unless you understand what those numbers really represent.

Simply doing the arithmetic is a very inefficient and probably expensive way to select medical schools to apply to. If you have a premedical advisor, ask her/him first. Many have the experience to know where their advisees are more likely to be considered.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies.

i realize that these numbers need to be considered in light of many other variables, but it is useful to see whether they accept 20% of interviewees or 60%. MSAR lists only number of entrants, but usnews has an additional statistic listing number of acceptances. this is usually 1.5 to 3.5 times the number of entrants.

obviously one would not want to select schools to which they will apply based on this number, but once in the thick of the application process (getting interviews, etc), it can provide additional insight into where one stands at each step of the process.

katem

Originally posted by gower
I do not understand how US News knows total accepted. The only public information for each medical school is to be found in the the AAMC's Medical School Admission Requirements and even that has to be interpreted..

they probably ask the school individually like they ask admissions directions for reputation rankings. that's why some schools are blank since they didn't want to release that info. the msar does the same thing and i don't think it is the only public source of info. i.e. u could call up the schools individually and they'd probably let u know how many they accepted.

i'm not sure if i'm misreading your previous posts.

MSAR gives out numbers of class size, interviewed, applied total ...but it doesn't tell you much since obviously more offers are made than the class size

BUT the USNews online version actually gives out the total offers made.

for instance lets take UMich

................... Applied.....Interviewed.....Accepted.....Enrolled
Total:...........4,688......... 615................380............170
In state:........755...............214................113.............82
Out of state:..3,933 ...........401 ............. 267............ 88
Women:.........2,059............272 ............. 181 ............79
Minorities:.....1,996............243..............160 ............62
International:..62.............. 0 .................0 .............. 0

so you can see once given an interview you have about a 50% chance to be accepted. but offers made/ total applied (380/4688)
is about 8.1% which is what is posted for USNews.