USNews Osteopathy Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Popoy

SDN Super Moderator
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was asked questions regarding the USNews Ranking of "Osteopathy" last year during my chat time while the forum was down. Luckily, I kept a copy of it. As promised, for those of you interested here is how USNews ranked, what they called last year as "specialty in Osteopathy". Here it is copied and pasted:

2001 Medical School Ranking
Medicine Specialties: Osteopathy
1) Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
2) College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (CA)
3) Des Moines University Osteopathic Medical Center (IA)
4) Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (MO)
5) Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (PA)
6) Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (FL)
7) Midwestern University (Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine) (IL)
8) New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
9) Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (FL)
10) Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
11) Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
12) Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PA)
13) Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicne (KY)
14) Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CA)
15) UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine
16) University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine (ME)
17) University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (MO)
18) University of North Texas Health Science Center
19) West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

This years ranking did not include osteopathy as a specialty.... Don't know what happened there. I checked the website and it is not an option anymore. I have also looked at the current rankings and its is not there anymore as well. So this maybe the last ranking that USNews did for "Osteopathy." At least for now....

Hope that answers some of the questions that people had. Good luck to those of you still waiting. To those of you accepted, congratulations again.....
smile.gif

Popoy

Members don't see this ad.

This is a list of the DO schools. Is that what you were meant to put on the board? This is not a rank list, just an alphabetical listing.

------------------
ob/gyn wannabe

As a future AZCOM student, I'm pleased that it's first alphabetically, but I doubt that its reputation surpasses those of the more established schools--FOR NOW!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, just posting what I found in the USNews website before they came up with this years rankings.... I asked myself the same question when I came across the list myself.... that it was in alphabetical order!!! I had email USNews about this but no reply....

later, P

It is alphabetical,and last time I went to campus, MSUCOM was in Michigan, not Florida. Doubtful they would name a school MICHIGAN state University COM if it were in Florida

[This message has been edited by Medic171 (edited April 23, 2001).]

This is definitely not a ranking, but a listing of the osteopath schools. The USNews report does provide interesting stats from each school though.

USNEWS does not rank the Osteopathic schools.

There are only 19 Osteopathic medical schools, making a ranking system difficult.

Peace

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)

Based on this ranking I would suggest that WVSOM simply change its name to the "American School of Osteopathic Medicine, West Virginia" in order to gather laurels as the top-ranked DO school.

------------------
Nothing doing.

Funny
smile.gif
, dieselkid, How are you? Haven't seen you in the chatroom lately.... Decided on the med school you plan to go to?

Forum has been revived and not many have come back to the chat. No more FWS I guess.
tongue.gif

It's ironic how USNews did this, but as JP said.... USNews does not rank osteo b/c of the small number.... Maybe that's why they disregarded any of my attempts to find out if this was true or not.... I want to see how long this post would go. Interesting so far. Just when I think the topic would be drop, it gets revived. Maybe I can be the one with 22 pages of responses... It could happen.
smile.gif

later y'all....