Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

USNEWS vs. MSAR

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrSuga, Oct 28, 2001.

1. DrSuga

DrSuga Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know MSAR is the only "official" record of med school info, but for some schools things like avg. gpa and mcat aren't listed. however, these numbers can almost always be found at the usnews rankings. however, do you guys think usnews numbers are accurate?? or, can we just view them as a general guide?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

US NEWS is pretty accurate in terms of grades and MCAT averages. But their numbers in terms of acceptances offered, etc are circumspect at best.

4. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I believe that USNEWS is pretty accurate in their information that they post.

5. Fixed Gear

Fixed Gear Highly Acetylated Locus
    7+ Year Member

USNEWS = poop

If you go to the AAMC website (www.aamc.org) you'll see on the middle of the right side and quote saying a critique of the USNEWS and world report ranking....or something. It is an article from a journal called Academic Medicine. Basicly, they shoot down everything USNEWS says. THey find that their ranking methods are nonscientific and based on outdated areas. Secondly, I have heard from multiple sources that AAMC and AMCAS discourage schools from giving information to USNEWS, as AAMC has deemed that US NEWS is unreliable and inacurate.

Basicly, you're better off getting any information from MSAR.