USNWR 2019 Medical School Rankings Data? (2000 - 2020 minus 2019 data attached)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktpremed

Reaction score
Hey folks! In a fit of nervous boredom during this application season I used the wonderful internet time machine to put together historical USNWR rankings going back to 2000. Unfortunately, the USNWR website transitioned to an infinite scroll in 2018, which the web crawler doesn't fully capture. This leaves me with incomplete 2019 ranking data (I can only see the top 20 or so on internet time machine). Does anyone have the full top-50 list for the 2019 USNWR rankings (these would be the rankings posted in 2018 but labeled as the "2019" rankings)?

Here's the data if you're interested. Let me know if you see any issues with it (it all had to be entered manually so that leaves room for error)!

Also, if you know of where I might get even older rankings (before their website existed, I think), I would love to extend the series back in time as well!

EDIT: Just want to note, as I do in the file's readme, that I organize the data by year it was posted (so, for example, my 2019 data would be labeled as 2020 rankings by USNWR).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@efle did this a few years ago and put it in a nice figure, maybe he would be willing to update his infographic

I've seen this nice lil table of old US News rankings shared around SDN before, and thought I'd make a new one that is updated, has more schools, and is large enough for the human eye.

I did the past 10 years for the current first 25 schools (26 really, since 25th was a tie).

Here it is for quick reference sorted by the average rank in the last 5 years:

Zssx8Dn.png

Also available sorted by average rank in the 5 years prior, and sorted by average over the full decade.

Also worth embedding, imo, is the table sorted by residency director ratings (exact values not shown, must pay for that). Schools contained within thick borders are equivalent (e.g. WashU = Stanford). The big takeway here is what you've surely seen a bunch of times on SDN already: US news rankings are often a poor way to judge reputation. For example, if you tried to use the US news ranks to compare Cornell and Yale, or Emory and NYU, etc you would be led astray!

3cEOqWQ.png

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for linking this! This is exactly the post that inspired me to update these series and dig back in time - I meant to include this in my original post!

Does anyone know if the residency director rankings only available if you pay for the USNWR data?

@efle did this a few years ago and put it in a nice figure, maybe he would be willing to update his infographic

These top X schools should also be represented by shades of green. Using red to represent schools like UChicago, UPitt and UCSD seems weird. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
remember when you made a thread like a week ago about top 10 schools and now you say rankings don’t matter???
when it comes down to decision making between two schools, ranking doesn't matter. When you make a list of schools, it does, because it can help you decide where you are the most competitive.