Navy USS Theodore Roosevelt COVID-19 crisis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is hangar deck video of the CO's departure. He is the crew's hero, for sure.
Damnit if that video doesn’t undermine my whole argument. I get that he’s a hero to them but that little event probably exposed dozens more sailors to COVID-19. Social distancing on a ship is undoubtedly difficult but that was terrible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If there's one lesson to be learned in this it's that snitches get stitches. The CO made his higher ups look bad, so there's hell to pay.

Surely the POTUS's tendency to override the brass's decisions doesn't only apply to championing war criminals and he will intervene here.

Damnit if that video doesn’t undermine my whole argument. I get that he’s a hero to them but that little event probably exposed dozens more sailors to COVID-19. Social distancing on a ship is undoubtedly difficult but that was terrible.
He was no longer in command, but you are right.

Members don't see this ad :)
He was no longer in command, but you are right.

Yeah, I'm also guessing that if he had a choice he probably would have told them to stay away. His body language seemed like he was touched but frustrated that they were all crowded at the quarterdeck lol.

He's got his 20 in, and it's time to retire.

He did get their attention.

Navy is just ****ing itself left and right nowadays. Such bad PR the last couple years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it probably was the admiral @ Camp Smith who told them to go to Da Nang.

Navy has gotten a lot of bad PR these past few weeks.

Army: builds field hospitals, converts hotels/convention centers into temporary hospitals nationwide, sends medical personnel to hotspots.
Navy: Sends hospital ship to new york but only sees 20 patients in 5 days and accidentally accepts infected patients onboard. Fires Navy captain for trying to expedite protection of carrier crew against disease. No alteration to training schedules/classroom environments because its all "mission essential" (which apparently makes you immune to the virus).

Joining the Navy right now is like trying to get hired by the cruise line industry.

Army: builds field hospitals, converts hotels/convention centers into temporary hospitals nationwide, sends medical personnel to hotspots.
Navy: Sends hospital ship to new york but only sees 20 patients in 5 days and accidentally accepts infected patients onboard. Fires Navy captain for trying to expedite protection of carrier crew against disease. No alteration to training schedules/classroom environments because its all "mission essential" (which apparently makes you immune to the virus).

Joining the Navy right now is like trying to get hired by the cruise line industry.

That branch needs a housecleaning.

My friend is an Army DI and he is at work every day conducting basic training with no signs of slowing down. Definitely not just Navy. At least we went to distance learning at USUHS.

Wow. According to this, sailors must test negative before they go ashore. So they're leaving the COVD+ sailors on the boat?

Anyone else read SECNAVs latest “vector”? Just in case you didn’t get the message from firing CAPT Crozier, he goes ahead and spells it out and added a weird sports analogy.

more analysis:

And squarely in the truth is stranger than fiction category: USS Theodore Roosevelt Commanding Officer Followed the Example of Colonel Roosevelt

Acting SECNAV's speech to the TR crew

He called Crozier stupid, blamed the liberal media and Joe Biden, complained about the backlash he has been receiving, and dropped some profanity in there to spice it up a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

He called Crozier stupid, blamed the liberal media and Joe Biden, complained about the backlash he has been receiving, and dropped some profanity in there to spice it up a bit.

TOne deaf

Has anyone heard the latest on the increase in confirmed cases and status of those 100+ from the TR?

I know the crew is a relatively low-risk population but Guam sure as hell isn't and has limited bed space (2 civilian hospitals, the Naval Hospital, and a few branch clinics) for ~160k people.

Curious what the medevac plan is..

TOne deaf
Worse, dishonest. The Pacific naval chain of command up through the author of this message, failed both the crew and the captain of the Roosevelt. They have suffered--deservedly--negative press, and will hopefully continue to do so. Now he treats the public to yet another layer of paper-ass-covering. He would better to have said nothing. Hearing or reading this transparently unbelievable justification serves only to demoralize troops and sailors, and makes the senior brass and the secretary seem even more out of touch.

Nothing like TIG-welding on your ass-hat. This makes him look and sound as bad as his boss.

Last edited:
What this acting official fails to get why the issue is now a big controversy outside Navy channels. Had he taken timely action, even if it meant overriding the Navy brass, this would have been a PR win. Sadly he is on the other side of the issue, and digging in. It doesn't pay to double down on stupidness.

There are few over 45 on the ship, and most of the comorbidities are disqualifying, save HTN. There could be no deaths.
Let's hope. The hell of this disease is how quickly some victims go from doing well-enough to crumping, in small numbers of hours. Some of those are people without the hazardous comorbidities for bad outcomes.

Well now that Trump has publicly blamed Crozier for the port visit, I’m sure the embarked flag will be held accountable too...
How does he resolve that with the fact that his own acting Navy secretary defended the decision to make the Vietnam port call (mainly because it was his decision?)

Last edited:
Captain Crozier was fired for embarrassing the Navy high command because none of them wanted to be responsible for dealing with this crisis. They were willing to let every single sailor aboard that ship get sick rather than admit that a crisis was happening at all.

This is the kind of thing that happens in dictatorships, where someone who speaks out "disappears" and then government tells everyone how horrible that person was.

So when I first saw SECNAVs speech to the crew, I figured it was a hoax. He couldn’t really have flown to the other side of the world to **** on CAPT Crozier to his crew. But...he did. Big Navy’s response to Crozier’s letter puts the question of whether the letter was necessary to rest IMO.

So when I first saw SECNAVs speech to the crew, I figured it was a hoax. He couldn’t really have flown to the other side of the world to **** on CAPT Crozier to his crew. But...he did. Big Navy’s response to Crozier’s letter puts the question of whether the letter was necessary to rest IMO.
Pretty much.

Remember this is the administration that didn't want the cruise ship with infected passengers coming to port because it would look bad for the numbers. That, openly stated by none other than the President himself.

Slight topic derail.
How many physicians are on a carrier? Specialty? Rank?
And how big does a ship have to be to get an actual MD?

I’ve toured a few museum ships, and I’ve always been fascinated with the medical spaces. But I’m clueless on staffing.

Slight topic derail.

I’ve toured a few museum ships, and I’ve always been fascinated with the medical spaces. But I’m clueless on staffing.
Depends, but a carrier will have a senior medical officer, who is usually a flight surgeon who has done the aviation medicine residency, and hopefully another residency preceding that: FP, EM or IM. Usually there is a general surgeon, an anesthesiologist, and several GMOs, some of whom are naval flight surgeons. Depending on the op tempo, there may be more. There are usually a decent number of hospitalmen and HMCs in support.

Marine LHAs can have even larger medical departments in support of infantry combat operations.

Slight topic derail.

Amphib and above gets its own MD. Destroyer squadrons have a squadron doc that “supervises” the IDCs, which really means they come look at notes and admin once a month or so. Cruisers have a similar set up. The number of docs on the big decks will vary depending on the platform and what’s going on.

Slight topic derail.

During my deployment on the USS George Washington (same class as the Roosevelt), we had:

Ship’s company (ie, they belonged to the ship and not the air wing).
1 ”senior medical officer,” ie, the Medical Dept. Head. He was an internist O-6 and was 75% admin, 25% clinical.
1 BE (not BC) surgeon O-3.
1 GMO O-3.
1 anesthesia provider (sometimes an anesthesiologist, sometimes a CRNA). Official anesthesia backup was the two oral surgeons onboard.
1 psychiatrist or PhD psychologist (used interchangeably). O-4.
1 general duty PA.
1 RN.
1 PT.
1 xray tech.
About 20 enlisted hospital corpsmen, a few (2 or 3) qualified as Independent Duty Corpsman (one from a sub, boy did he have some stories!).

With the air wing aboard, there was an additional 2 (I think) flight surgeons who belonged to the wing, not to ship’s company.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
luckily, should Modly be vacating his position in the near future....I happen to know a very well regarded Naval Officer who just got a bunch of time on his hands and might be open to a transition after a few weeks of quarantine should he come out of it ok. God speed

Update: WSJ News Exclusive | Acting Navy Secretary Resigns in Wake of USS Roosevelt Comments

• Love