USUHS Acceptance - Civilian to Military Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been accepted to USUHS (USAF). I'm a civilian and am wondering whether there's anyone else out there who has taken the path I am.

What can I expect out of the process? Is it a smooth transition?

What can I expect out of the OBC I have to take before entering USUHS?

What happens after graduation - Do I do a residency or am I deployed?

After graduation am I based somewhere in the States (i.e. - I live there with my family) and then can be deployed to AF bases around the world? How long are deployments?

Any details about the life of a military doc would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I've recently been accepted to USUHS (USAF). I'm a civilian and am wondering whether there's anyone else out there who has taken the path I am.

USU should assign you an AF sponsor (an MS1). That person is typically matched to your background and can answer these questions better than I can, as they went through what you are going through a year ago. They can also put you in touch with others. For starters, I can tell you that the AF program is called "COT".....

After graduation am I based somewhere in the States (i.e. - I live there with my family) and then can be deployed to AF bases around the world? How long are deployments?

You will do at least an internship after graduation before you go anywhere. No offense, but you sound pretty clueless on your whole career options, and I would strongly suggest extensive education on the process before you sign on the dotted line. Talk to a AF physician or two, search some archives here for some other viewpoints, and make an informed choice.

Peace.
-deegs
USUHS 2009

Members don't see this ad :)
Where you been all my life? Please extensively read this forum before deciding to attend USUHS. No offense, but you don't sound like you have any idea what you are getting into. If you still have questions, PM some of military active duty attending physicians for their phone number. Most of us are willing to talk to you and give you the low-down.

ditto for me.

You really need to do some reading and hard thinking after that. You sound like you really do not know enough about this to make a good career decision. Please read this forum extensively, especially the most recent threads detailing how many people ended up in GMO/FS positions, and their ramifications which are basically a huge delay in residency training, and possibly never doing what you planned, or adding alot of extra time to your active duty commitment.

Feel free to PM me and many others if you have further questions after you spend a couple of hours reading!!!!

Thanks for the input. I've read through the catalog USUHS provides and researched online. But there are a lot of things I don't know about the military that I was hoping to get some answers from real people as opposed to online articles, web pages, and catalogs.

Just so you know, I'm a fourth year at USUHS, also in the USAF. I've numbered your questions for ease of answering.

1. What can I expect out of the process? Is it a smooth transition?

2. What can I expect out of the OBC I have to take before entering USUHS?

3. What happens after graduation - Do I do a residency or am I deployed?

4. After graduation am I based somewhere in the States (i.e. - I live there with my family) and then can be deployed to AF bases around the world? How long are deployments?

1. You'll go to officer training next summer, which is 4 weeks of basically slightly rigorous summer camp. Not a big deal, but you'll learn at least some of the things necessary to be a good officer. The transition is fairly smooth.

2. Not a whole lot. When I was there, maids cleaned our rooms, and aside from having to get up at 430am for four weeks straight, it wasn't difficult. Heck, if you have a hard time at officer training, there's no way you'll survive a clinical rotation.

3. It depends what you want. You can go to residency (I am) or you can do what is called a GMO (general medical officer) tour. You do one year of internship, and then you go out to be a flight surgeon (the team doctor for a flying squadron) or some other such job. It's a pretty sweet deal.

4. After graduation you can be based wherever the Air Force needs you. most the places are in the states, but we have hospitals in Japan, in Germany, in England, in Korea...the list goes on. Deployments to Iraq or Afganistan are usually four months long.

Hope that helps, PM me if you have any questions you'd like answered that way.

1. You'll go to officer training next summer, which is 4 weeks of basically slightly rigorous summer camp. Not a big deal, but you'll learn at least some of the things necessary to be a good officer. The transition is fairly smooth.

2. Not a whole lot. When I was there, maids cleaned our rooms, and aside from having to get up at 430am for four weeks straight, it wasn't difficult. Heck, if you have a hard time at officer training, there's no way you'll survive a clinical rotation.

3. It depends what you want. You can go to residency (I am) or you can do what is called a GMO (general medical officer) tour. You do one year of internship, and then you go out to be a flight surgeon (the team doctor for a flying squadron) or some other such job. It's a pretty sweet deal.

4. After graduation you can be based wherever the Air Force needs you. most the places are in the states, but we have hospitals in Japan, in Germany, in England, in Korea...the list goes on. Deployments to Iraq or Afganistan are usually four months long.

changhe - Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Hey guys i'm new to this site but i always used to read the threads. So today i became a member. This is such a great site. I have been scheduled for an interview in two weeks at USUHS. I an quite excited but a little nervous. I have read posts on students that have been to their interviews and it is helping. I really do hope o get accepted.

How many weeks did you hear after intreview? (to those that got accepted or rejected)

Thanks.

Hey guys i'm new to this site but i always used to read the threads. So today i became a member. This is such a great site. I have been scheduled for an interview in two weeks at USUHS. I an quite excited but a little nervous. I have read posts on students that have been to their interviews and it is helping. I really do hope o get accepted.

How many weeks did you hear after intreview? (to those that got accepted or rejected)

Thanks.
A girl that was at the interview the same day as me heard about 4 weeks later that she was wait listed. I heard about 2 weeks after she did.

She was eventually taken off of the wait list and accepted, I was not.

A girl that was at the interview the same day as me heard about 4 weeks later that she was wait listed. I heard about 2 weeks after she did.

:( Hopefully you'll hear something. What were your preferences? I would like to into the Army. How would you rate your interview day? Was it smooth? Any tips :D ?

Thanks.

:( Hopefully you'll hear something. What were your preferences? I would like to into the Army. How would you rate your interview day? Was it smooth? Any tips :D ?

Thanks.
I rated both Army and Air Force as high as they go, but I listed AF first. I'm not sure if it made a difference, but I did know that the AF waiting list was a lot longer than the Army one.

I loved the interview day. The ladies in the admissions office are really funny and very helpful. The people they had talking to us were very friendly and told nice stories, I got a good feel for what kind of program they ran, I felt like I had a very good chance at success and would be offered some unique experiences. My first interview did not go extremely well because my interviewer was dull and acted uninterested, but my second interview went very well.

At one point they set you loose on your own to find the security office to give them your security packet and birth certificate and it can be sort of difficult to find. A student helped me though.

In retrospect, I recommend that you remind yourself that they're trying to sell the school to you. Everything they say will be peachy keen, but it might not always be that way in practice.

Good luck, you'll enjoy yourself.

In retrospect, I recommend that you remind yourself that they're trying to sell the school to you. Everything they say will be peachy keen, but it might not always be that way in practice.

My years at USUHS (1986-1990) were among the happiest in my life...especially when it came to my gung ho motivation to be the best USAF physician I could be (wait, or did I "Aim High"? No matter).

The sad fact is this: the most excellent active duty and civilian folks at USU, and later your residency, shield you from the horror which is U.S. military medicine as an attending in 2007 and beyond.

I trust you have read my website: http://www.medicalcorpse.com ?

Best of luck to you; may the ills we current and ex-military attendings suffered be completely cured by the time you finish your residency circa 2015.

Rob Jones, M.D.
Ex-LtCol, USAF, MC
Board certified anesthesiologist
Former Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, USUHS
Harvard ROTC 1985, USU 1990, WHMC 1994, Civilian 2005
Dulce et decorum est pro patria BOOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Jones,

Your website is part of what's scaring me away from military medicine. I'm meeting with some Army EM residents soon to see what their experience is like. I hope it's not all that bad, it seems like USU is my best shot at medical school.

Dr Jones,

Your website is part of what's scaring me away from military medicine. I'm meeting with some Army EM residents soon to see what their experience is like. I hope it's not all that bad, it seems like USU is my best shot at medical school.

I would encourage you to talk (via e-mail, PM, or in person) with Army attendings (rather than residents). As I have stated previously, one really does not know how bad things are in military medicine until one is out of the cocoon of USU/HPSP/residency. Until a patient's life hangs upon your personal decision, everything I write seems so, well, academic.

--
R

I would encourage you to talk (via e-mail, PM, or in person) with Army attendings (rather than residents). As I have stated previously, one really does not know how bad things are in military medicine until one is out of the cocoon of USU/HPSP/residency. Until a patient's life hangs upon your personal decision, everything I write seems so, well, academic.

--
R
I asked this before in another thread that no one responded to.. is it possible to shadow military physicians? I'd imagine there are more hoops to jump through because of the whole government thing.

Are you military docs as willing to let a pre-med follow you around as civilians?

Are you military docs as willing to let a pre-med follow you around as civilians?

As long as you can manage to get on base/post, there should be no problem. I was in charge of anesthesiology education/med student/intern/resident liaison during my entire active duty military career. I would have welcomed a pre-med "shadow". Any other comments from the assembled denizens?

--
R

I asked this before in another thread that no one responded to.. is it possible to shadow military physicians? I'd imagine there are more hoops to jump through because of the whole government thing.

Cool, something that even I can contribute to. :D

I, a pre-med student, actually just got back from following some docs around in different specialties, or clinics technically, at a military hospital. Seeing as how you're interested in Army medicine (?), one of the military hospitals right outside of San Antonio would probably be worth your time to visit. (As far as I know, both the naval 'hospitals' in Fort Worth and Corpus Christi do not have in-patient service anymore.)
Ways to go about this that I can think of:
1) Contact the hospital directly and try to set up arrangements.
2) Contact a local HPSP/medical recruiter and try to get arrangements through them.
3) Contact the someone in charge, like the director, of the service's HPSP you're interested in and be enlightened that way.

To be honest, all of the above were sort of gathered from answers to my own questions about finding out how to shadow docs, so I can't take any sort of credit for them. I was a little skeptical about #3 when it was suggested, but it turned out to work out well. Others here will surely either confirm or disprove my ideas. :smuggrin: [Link to my thread about shadowing.] Good luck.

(Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread!)

Dr Jones,

What makes you say this? Have you applied to other schools? Are you under the impression that USUHS has lower standards than other med schools? What is it that makes you more competitive at USUHS than at other schools?

If this is your only reason for applying to USUHS, I strongly urge you to reconsider. The people who enter military medicine for reasons such as these (i.e. want to avoid debt, think USU is easier to get into, etc.) are the ones that will inevitably be miserable with their decision.

What makes you say this? Have you applied to other schools? Are you under the impression that USUHS has lower standards than other med schools? What is it that makes you more competitive at USUHS than at other schools?

If this is your only reason for applying to USUHS, I strongly urge you to reconsider. The people who enter military medicine for reasons such as these (i.e. want to avoid debt, think USU is easier to get into, etc.) are the ones that will inevitably be miserable with their decision.
I applied to 12 med schools in 05 and only USUHS interviewed me. I'm not saying they're easier to get into, but there must be something about me that they liked that the other schools didn't. I was wait-listed at USUHS after applying late with a lackluster GPA, so I was hoping that if I brought up my GPA and applied earlier they might accept me.

I'm not sure if my logic is correct, but it seems like if they wanted to accept me before, they'd want to accept me again if I had a stronger application.

It's definitely not my only reason to want to join. I grew up as an Army brat and have profound respect for the men & women of the military. I really, really want to be over in Iraq or Afghanistan doing my part to save some lives. It's just unfortunate for them that I'm too afraid of getting shot at so I won't go as a medic. I also genuinely enjoyed my time at USUHS, it was neat to finally meet people who shared my interest in the military and not just medicine. Everyone wants to be a doctor, I haven't met many people passionate about the military as well.

I applied to 12 med schools in 05 and only USUHS interviewed me. I'm not saying they're easier to get into, but there must be something about me that they liked that the other schools didn't. I was wait-listed at USUHS after applying late with a lackluster GPA, so I was hoping that if I brought up my GPA and applied earlier they might accept me.

I'm not sure if my logic is correct, but it seems like if they wanted to accept me before, they'd want to accept me again if I had a stronger application.

It's definitely not my only reason to want to join. I grew up as an Army brat and have profound respect for the men & women of the military. I really, really want to be over in Iraq or Afghanistan doing my part to save some lives. It's just unfortunate for them that I'm too afraid of getting shot at so I won't go as a medic. I also genuinely enjoyed my time at USUHS, it was neat to finally meet people who shared my interest in the military and not just medicine. Everyone wants to be a doctor, I haven't met many people passionate about the military as well.

Thanks for clarifying! :thumbup:

I apologize for the somewhat accusatory tone of my previous post - I just think there are too many people that enter military medicine for the wrong reasons. Based on what I have read on these forums, it appears to be quite the challenge for even the people who joined for the right reasons. So, I think it is a recipe for disaster for the individuals who don't have their heart in it from the beginning.

Best of luck with USUHS! We may end up being classmates next year!

When did you have your interview? Is this your second time applying? How were your MCAT scores? Is it a good sign that USUHS interviews most students that have low grades? My GPA is not all that either. Hmmm. I'm kind of nervous about the interview. This will be my first med school interview. Were you interviewed by men or women or both? Let me get this straight. If i chose Army as my first then my chanced are higher in getting in compared to putting down AF as number one choice? I have not military experience but i wanted to goin the navy after HS but my parents said no. My boyfriend is a doctor and a marine on disability. But he didn't go to USUHS. I think i would like it...i'm really into that kind of stuff :D but anyway. I know if i get accepted it is not going to be peachy and cream...i'm actually prepared for the worst, but i'm ready for whatever is ahead of me.

P.S.

Dr. Jones, I hope this does not offend you but besides all what you have on your page regarding military medicine, were there any personal reasons why you wouldn't reccomend it?

Thanks.

When did you have your interview? Is this your second time applying? How were your MCAT scores? Is it a good sign that USUHS interviews most students that have low grades? My GPA is not all that either. Hmmm. I'm kind of nervous about the interview. This will be my first med school interview. Were you interviewed by men or women or both? Let me get this straight. If i chose Army as my first then my chanced are higher in getting in compared to putting down AF as number one choice? I have not military experience but i wanted to goin the navy after HS but my parents said no. My boyfriend is a doctor and a marine on disability. But he didn't go to USUHS. I think i would like it...i'm really into that kind of stuff :D but anyway. I know if i get accepted it is not going to be peachy and cream...i'm actually prepared for the worst, but i'm ready for whatever is ahead of me.
I applied "late" in 05.. I finally got my USUHS application together in mid or late August. I received my invitation to interview on Jan 12 06 and interviewed on Feb 9. I got my wait-list notice in early April or late March, I can't recall exactly. I didn't reapply this past summer, but I'm going to reapply in 07.

My grades at the time were definitely not impressive.. a tiny bit over a 3.1 cumulative and 3.1 science. I had a 31 MCAT on my only attempt. I don't know how much my family's military background helped or hurt. I'm an EMT-B and had about 2.5 years of good experience in a SICU and for my school's first aid team for intramural sports. In addition to all of that, I had a letter of recommendation from a former AF surgeon who happens to be adjunct staff at USUHS. Basically once a year he flies to USUHS and gives lectures on his area of specialty. Take that how you want.

I was interviewed by a middle-aged male PHS FP physician and a fourth-year female USUHS student. The guy was not very enthusiastic (actually quite dull) but the USUHS student was very upbeat and energetic, we really hit it off, I felt. They're going to have copies of your personal statement and some application stuff there like your work experience, which they spent some time talking to me about. For instance, they both had underlined stuff on my personal statement such as some medical experience I had and some clubs I had participated in. The other big question they both asked is "Why military medicine instead of civilian medicine?"

I'm not sure if listing Army will help your chances, but I do know that the AF slots typically fill up faster and there are more people wanting to go AF.

Did I cover all of it?

I applied "late" in 05.. I finally got my USUHS application together in mid or late August. I received my invitation to interview on Jan 12 06 and interviewed on Feb 9. I got my wait-list notice in early April or late March, I can't recall exactly. I didn't reapply this past summer, but I'm going to reapply in 07.

My grades at the time were definitely not impressive.. a tiny bit over a 3.1 cumulative and 3.1 science. I had a 31 MCAT on my only attempt. I don't know how much my family's military background helped or hurt. I'm an EMT-B and had about 2.5 years of good experience in a SICU and for my school's first aid team for intramural sports. In addition to all of that, I had a letter of recommendation from a former AF surgeon who happens to be adjunct staff at USUHS. Basically once a year he flies to USUHS and gives lectures on his area of specialty. Take that how you want.

I was interviewed by a middle-aged male PHS FP physician and a fourth-year female USUHS student. The guy was not very enthusiastic (actually quite dull) but the USUHS student was very upbeat and energetic, we really hit it off, I felt. They're going to have copies of your personal statement and some application stuff there like your work experience, which they spent some time talking to me about. For instance, they both had underlined stuff on my personal statement such as some medical experience I had and some clubs I had participated in. The other big question they both asked is "Why military medicine instead of civilian medicine?"

I'm not sure if listing Army will help your chances, but I do know that the AF slots typically fill up faster and there are more people wanting to go AF.

Did I cover all of it?

Yeah i guess. Thanks. I actually applied in mid Oct, i was really late. I also forgot to make a copy of my personal statement but i remember it quite well.
I don't have that much medical experience besides working at two hospitals but my LORs helped because i ususally scrubbed in and "helped and observed" at the dept. i work at so the docs wrote good LORs. I already know my interview is going to be awkward because i wasn't even born in this country and just became a citizen....i can just feel the tension..lol..well i guess i'll be ok. Its so great to have people like you guys to kinda talk to and find out before the actual thing. There is a physican i work with that went there so he said he'll talk to me next week. The only thing i worry about, which might sound very stupid is that when people see me they think i'm a "girl who doesn't want to get her nails dirty" i am totally far from that. I actually consider myself quite rough and tomboyish. I don't want my looks or the way i dress decieve people into thinking i would not be able to survive in the military world. Once again, this is totally out of the subject but i tend to think with an open mind. But you have helped me very much and i hope you will apply early next year and get in :luck:

Did I cover all of it?

Yeah i guess. Thanks. I actually applied in mid Oct, i was really late. I also forgot to make a copy of my personal statement but i remember it quite well.
I don't have that much medical experience besides working at two hospitals but my LORs helped because i ususally scrubbed in and "helped and observed" at the dept. i work at so the docs wrote good LORs. I already know my interview is going to be awkward because i wasn't even born in this country and just became a citizen....i can just feel the tension..lol..well i guess i'll be ok. Its so great to have people like you guys to kinda talk to and find out before the actual thing. There is a physican i work with that went there so he said he'll talk to me next week. The only thing i worry about, which might sound very stupid is that when people see me they think i'm a "girl who doesn't want to get her nails dirty" i am totally far from that. I actually consider myself quite rough and tomboyish. I don't want my looks or the way i dress decieve people into thinking i would not be able to survive in the military world. Once again, this is totally out of the subject but i tend to think with an open mind. But you have helped me very much and i hope you will apply early next year and get in :luck:

Oops! My pc froze :mad:

sorry about the double post.