Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

usuhs and obc

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by srabulldog, Oct 10, 2002.

1. srabulldog

srabulldog Member
    7+ Year Member

HI- I just had a question about OBC- for the army this is 6 weeks before the start of classes at USUHS. Then they have something called "Brigade" for about 2 weeks or so (according to catalog). What is Brigade?

Also, after MS1, there is another training time and they say that you are deployed for 1 week, and the other 4 or 5 weeks you are training with your branch... What type of training? Is this away from DC area usually?

Also, finally, the admissions people said at the interview that they would let people know their status after 4-6 weeks. Does it take that long? My husband interviewed Oct 3, and we are feeling the major budget pains after 2 eastern interview trips and several trips pending... We hope to hear from somebody sooner than mid-November!

Thanks for any help-

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    srabulldog,

Brigade is just an inprocessing period at the school (ex. turning in your medical and dental records and other fun inprocessing stuff.)
    After the first year we have a 10 day stay at the marine base Quantico where we learn how to shoot M16's and camp in the woods. It should be fun. After that we do our summer experience for 4-5 weeks in our respective branches, such as flying with jets or going to airborne school.

Oh ya, it took about 5 weeks before I received my acceptance last year.

later

4. srabulldog

srabulldog Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks rotatores- you're always so helpful! Are there any problems over there on campus cause of the sniper attacks? My husband was interviewing on the day of the first attack, and he said traffic was really bad and a fire drill (???) was canceled. How is it now? Do you feel safe?

Thanks again for the info-

5. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    srabulldog,

It's getting kinda crazy around here with all the shootings. One happened just a mile or so from my apt. There has been an increased amount of safety measures around base so I feel pretty safe. All the more reason to stay home and study vs. going out.

If you have any more question feel free to ask.

later

6. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    srabulldog,

I was there on that interview day also! :clap: (Oops, clapping is only for the interview, not for what happened :( .) It was really weird--I've lived in Maryland all my life, and nothing like that has ever happened before. And of all days! Right down the street from the interview! I think we were all kind of freaked out--and the helicopters constantly swooping over the campus didn't really help.

7. Lt. Ub

Lt. Ub Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Choppers always come with the territory - med centers and military posts... That's part of the fun!

8. Jet915

Jet915 Shi*ter's Rule
    10+ Year Member

I just interviewed at USUHS and really liked the campus and students. As for the sniper, I never pumped gas so fast in my life. I stayed for 3 days in the area just to do some sight seeing and had to pump gas 4 times. I was pretty paranoid..................

Jetson