Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

USUHS Applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jfox02, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Jfox02

Jfox02 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone who interviewed at USUHS this year has heard back with a decision yet, and how long it took to get that decision from the time they interviewed?

That school is my first choice and I am starting to get accepted elsewhere, but don't want to commit until I here from USUHS.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. republicandr

republicandr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was accepted three weeks after I interviewed there. I received a thin letter in the mail. I was also accepted to other schools, before and after my USUHS acceptance. I am positive that USUHS is where I want to go, I am waiting for the unconditional acceptance. I have had my conditional acceptance for about 1 month now. I have passed the physical, but am waiting to hear about the security check. I recommend that you pay the other schools their fee ($50-100), and then once you get your unconditional acceptance to USUHS (if you are positive that is where you want to go), you can withdraw from the other schools. You don't have to make a final decision until May 15th, and you will get refunds from the schools that you withdraw from.

4. Jfox02

Jfox02 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for you reply. My third week is coming quick!

5. UCLA Paratrooper

UCLA Paratrooper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed on Nov 7 and the people there told me to hear back in 6-8 weeks. That's right around Christmas time. This is going to make this Christmas the best or worst Christmas ever...

UCLA Paratrooper

PS...when did you interview exactly?

6. Jfox02

Jfox02 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed November 7 as well. I was the AF ROTC Cadet. I remember them saying 6-8 weeks, but I spoke with a lot of first year students who said they found out in about four weeks. So I was wondering how quickly USUHS was working this year. Hopefully we will find out a little early.

7. Jet915

Jet915 Shi*ter's Rule
    10+ Year Member

I got my acceptance about 5 weeks after my interview (Oct. 10) but have yet to receive my snail mail acceptance yet (I called them cause my physical was coming up).

Jetson

8. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was interviewed on October 3rd, and got my one and only acceptance so far from them on November 11th. I'm still waiting on the physical and security checks. AF baby! Here's hoping!:clap:

9. phil413ru

phil413ru Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    had interview 20021114. Haven't heard anything yet--just hope to hear by Christmas! (Otherwise will be unreachable by mail for 2.5 weeks).
    USUHS is my #1, especially since I am already in Army, and plan on being career doc, even if through civilian route. However, I have been accepted to #2 school, so I went ahead and sent in deposit---told 6-8 weeks, and can't afford to lose my one and only slot should I get rejected into USUHS. I am Army ROTC, and we just got branches. If I don't go to med school, I go to signal corps instead.
    When (if?)I get my uncoditional acceptance from USUHS;) I will then pull my acceptance from #2.

PS--who here who has been accepted is Army? Who here who has appliec WANTS to be Army or hopes? Just curious to see demographics.

10. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

How competitive is it to get into UHUHS? Can anyone tell me?

11. UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member

Hey phil413ru!

I'm also an Army ROTC cadet and was branched into the Signal Corp. I REALLY hope we hear some good new soon so I can get my educational delay. Good luck and hope to see you next fall...

UCLA Paratrooper

12. cdreed

cdreed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi all! I interviewed at USUHS last year in Nov and was ultimately rejected May. I am active duty AF and hoping to attend USUHS if at all possible. I interview again in Dec. I had an earlier interview but had to reschedule due to manning conflicts at my unit.

Anyone care to comment on the specifics of the interview day? At least I don't have to go through the physical and security checks again.

I wish everyone the best! Maybe I'll see you next fall.

Cyndi:)

13. Homunculus

Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator
    Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    just a word on ed delays-- i was a 4 year Army ROTC scholarship cadet, and I was freaked out about my ed delay-- i was afraid if i was accepted too late, they wouldn't let me go to medschool. talk to a HPSP recruiter-- at least the one i worked with was very knowledgable about the ed delay process, and said it was basically just a formality once you're accepted. turned out he was right. It takes some time, but don't let the ed delay thing weigh on you-- if you get in they'll let ya go. 2LT's, while in demand, still aren't needed as much as doctors. Even if you get into a school other than USUHS, you're still a shoe-in for an HPSP scholarship if you get the ball rolling soon enough. Get the HPSP paperwork done now (if your stats are high enough they can award you a scholarship conditional upon getting accepted to a school) so you'll be set when the acceptance letter comes.

take it easy

homonculus

14. phil413ru

phil413ru Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi UCLA paratrooper!

Good luck on ed delay. Don't worry as long as you get acceptance. I am glad I just don't have to do more paper work.

When did you interview at USUHS? I was the only Army besides westpointer. All others were navy/USAR.

Did they tell you six to eight weeks? Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, depending on whether they act like medical school or military. (Branches cam early!!)

I also am in process of applying for HPSP. Almost have scholarship, but have to get a waiver fo my knee--injured at NALC at Ft. Lewis. (During training--Audie Murphy course).

Did you go to camp this past summer?

Good luck--hopefully we will get a nice Christmas present ( For break, I am unreachable by snail mail for two weeks).

Hope to see you this summer at Medical OBC 15 June-26July.

cdreed--
    Good luck on your interview--you are still relatively early in cycle. Once you get to this stage good chances of ATLEAST making alternate, waitlist or unconditionally accepted.
    Interviewer, at least the ones I had, were really nice. I felt they really wanted to know WHY military--many docs leave after time is paid--even if prior service. They also wanted to make sure that I knew what I was getting into--Q:how civilian medicine differs from military-pro's/cons' each.
    I really want to make career, so let them know this.
    Then, why did I want to be doctor? How would others describe me? Know your quirks, your strengths and weaknesses. I love people in general, and all my jobs that I have enjoyed have been working with conversational context with people. How did you decide to become physician? Why? Why now?
    best luck, these are just some Q's I came across--different for ROTC/Academy/prior service than civilian.

Sorry post is so long. Best luck to everyone. See all (Army) next summer (one way or another) and AF/Navy hopefully next fall.

15. phil413ru

phil413ru Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Paratrooper-

you might want to check PM. It won't let me send to you.

16. UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member

Hey Phil...

I think I fixed it...

UCLA Paratrooper

17. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    After you receive your conditional you receive your unconditional based only on your physicial clearance not security. I'm a first year at USUHS and they still haven't completed my security check yet.

good luck

18. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Really? AWESOME! I just got my physical qualification notification yesterday! AF, here I come! :clap:

19. MeganRose

MeganRose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, you know I pref'd Army. I'm interviewing 5 Dec. Sorry about Signal Corps. ;-) but in the end it won't matter bc I know you'll get USUHS!
    Good Luck!
    Megan

20. phil413ru

phil413ru Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For clarification-
    I am "branched detail" SC, which means that if I a. don't get in, or b. fail/dropout med school, then I will be a SC 2LT. (Signal was one of top choices if not accepted med school). I actually received DL entry--with Branch MC, (eventual). I actually got accepted to LECOM, so I will be in MC corps providing any extreme, unseen circumstances. Now just matter of choice 1 or 2.
    Go ARMY!!!! (Only one other Army---West Pointer--at interview).

I don't mind SC--wouldnt' be bad choice if decided I didn't want to be doc. ;)

Good luck on your interview!

Ps--say hi to someone for me!)

21. abw

abw Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi!
    Has anyone who interviewed on or before 0ctober 10th not heard anything back yet? I'm starting to get really discouraged because it seems like everyone else has heard. I called last week, and was told they didn't have an answer for me yet - so i don't want to call again too soon and annoy them. This is killing me though!! I have to schedule a follow up physical, but don't want to do that unless i have to - any suggestions?

22. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am also in the Army, and I will be going to USUHS next year. I won't be seeing my fellow Army students in June, though. I already took the AMEDD OBC (I am an optometrist right now). I look forward to meeting all of you in August. That includes you, UCLAParatrooper! I know you will get good news.

For those that were interested, I interviewed on 17 Oct, and I was accepted 4 weeks later (by telephone call) and by mail a few days after that.

23. UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member

Caffeinated,

That's awesome that you decided to go to USUHS! You're so lucky that you're totally done with the application process now. Hopefully, I'll hear good news soon. I've totally psychologically committed to USUHS. I've been checking out apartments in the area and everything. I'm gonna be devastated if I don't get in. Well, good luck to everyone else waiting on their acceptances!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

24. republicandr

7+ Year Member

I am also going the Army route- but I am having a disagreement with my wife about how to write "HOO AHH"- I think it's Hoo Ahh and she thinks HOOAAH. Maybe we're both wrong. Anyway, I'm going Army and will matriculate at USUHS August 2003.

25. MeganRose

MeganRose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think its HOAH! Proper pronounciation at times depends on whether or not you ate a HOAH bar that day...

26. UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member

27. republicandr

7+ Year Member

Thank you Megan Rose and UCLA Paratrooper. I like the website UCLA Paratrooper linked to, it is helpful for those who are interested in the Army. I'm going to add it to my favorites.

28. Jfox02

Jfox02 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just a heads up. I was reading the Interview Feedback forms for USUHS, and one completed on 12/07/02 states that:

"The admissions clerk rather abrasively stated that I was interviewing for a waitlist spot because the class was already filled."

Do you think this means enough people have accepted their offer to fill the class, or that they have sent out enough acceptance letters to fill the class?

Interviewed Nov 7 and still no word :(

29. Jet915

Jet915 Shi*ter's Rule
    10+ Year Member

I was told by students that the class usually fills up by the end of November and that everyone afterwards gets a waitlist but that the waitlist starts moving once people who got accepted decide not to go to usuhs.

Jetson

30. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How many of you that have accepted USUHS have heard anything back about your physical yet? I mailed my info to DoDMERB a few weeks ago, but you never know how long to wait. For those of you that have cleared that part, did DoDMERB contact you, or did the school contact you?

This part is frustrating, as I am already active duty Army. Death by paperwork...

31. Jet915

Jet915 Shi*ter's Rule
    10+ Year Member

I took my physical like 3 weeks ago. I asked the doc for a copy of my physical but I didnt mail it anywhere. The person at the front desk took the original copies and I assume they sent them to DOD. Are you suppose to do it yourself?

Jetson

32. MeganRose

MeganRose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nichelle (I think that was her name) came off as abrasive but I spoke to her after she said that and she said that based on years past, that yes ppl that interviewed that day (12/5) would be put on the waitlist. But she also said it wasn't the end of the world bc there is typically a lot of movement off the waitlist (~100 accepted off the list last year) Don't lose hope Jfox, bc I'm not. Even if we do end up on the waitlist, the bottom line is the acceptance. Anywho, for you, the four weeks min that they said it would take are just now up. I bet you hear some good news in the next few days. Good luck!
    M

33. postman

postman Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have just recieved my acceptance letter from USU today and have also received my DODMERB approval letter like two months back. Can't wait to start Air Force Officer Training.

34. UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member

Hey Postman,

Congrats!!! When did u interview?

UCLA Paratrooper

35. MeganRose

MeganRose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When did you interview?

36. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats! :clap: That's another one for the AF! I'm psyched for it too! I've pretty much given up on all the other schools already. Go USUHS! :clap:

37. postman

postman Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

october tenth. Man, sweated out for eight long weeks. Glad that it's over with.

38. MeganRose

MeganRose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yikes. I don't think I can wait that long! Grr.

:mad:

Guess I don't really have an option...

39. Emergen-C

Emergen-C Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I interviewed October 9th and haven't heard yet either...:mad: :confused:

40. Jet915

Jet915 Shi*ter's Rule
    10+ Year Member

Hey postman, I read you got the DOD approval letter. When you finished your physical, did you have to send the forms yourself or did someone take care of that for you. I just gave the people at the front desk my originals from the physical and I figured that they knew what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Jetson

41. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the forms were supposed to go back to DoDMERB. (I hope so, because I sent them there!). Maybe I will call the school tomorrow. I did keep copies, though.

In fact, for those of you new to the military: KEEP COPIES OF EVERY SINGLE DOCUMENT YOU EVER RECEIVE. This will save your butt countless times.

42. Jet915

Jet915 Shi*ter's Rule
    10+ Year Member

So you are suppose to send the physical forms yourself to DOD? Where did it say that? I assume the people at the military knew what to do with it. I do have a photocopy but not the originals so I'm not totally screwed..........

Jetson

43. UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member

How long did it take for the DODMERB physical results to come back?

UCLA Paratrooper

44. abw

abw Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey!

Postman - you have given me so much hope - i interviewed on october 10th too, and after calling just last week to find out that there still wasn't a decision yet on my file, i gave up.

Jetson - I asked the physician who gave me the physical about the forms at the time, and he said he took care of everything and i wasn't even allowed to look at the form after he wrote on in (same for the optometrist). i also wasn't allowed to ask him for results. You can check your physical status on the website - it only says if you've been processed/case closed/etc. I got a letter asking for a follow-up physical about 2 weeks after the website said my case was closed.

Everyone cross your fingers for me - this has been a long wait - i really can't wait for an answer!

45. republicandr

7+ Year Member

abw, When the website says case closed, as it does in my case, I believe that it means that Concorde (the agency that contracts with DODMERB) has received all paperwork and has forwarded to DODMERB. DODMERB then reviews it, which can be up to 8 weeks.

It took one month for DODMERB to aprove my physical. I received a letter from them 11/15/02. I called the school and they said that they as long as I had passed the physical, then my status would move to unconditional, even without passing the security check yet.

As far as the physical documentation, I went to a contracted agency and it was their responsibility to forward the forms to DODMERB. I ran into some problems because I am 15 lbs. above the maximum allowable weight and had to be "taped" at a local recruiting office, and I passed.

The status check on the DODMERB website has not been updated for me (it doesn't show that I passed the physical, even though I have), so if there is a problem you would want to call DODMERB yourself to see what is going on.

46. UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member

Hey!

How did USUHS contact you guys? I've noticed that they called some people, do they do that with everyone?

Thanks!

UCLA Paratrooper

47. UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member

Bump...

Anyone?

48. republicandr

7+ Year Member

UCLA Paratrooper, I was contacted by snail mail. It was a thin letter, about 3 weeks after I interviewed there. I was conditionally accepted. I did not receive a phone call from the school. I later contacted the USUHS personnel office to find out what I needed to do about being above the maximum allowable weight. I was told to get taped by a local recruiting office and to send the results to DODMERB.

I also contacted the USUHS admissions office after I received my letter from DODMERB stating that I passed their physical. The USUHS employee then informed me that USUHS conditional stutus changes to unconditional once the physical exam is declared "qualified" by DODMERB, even though the security check is not done yet.

49. UCLA Paratrooper

7+ Year Member

Thanks republicandr!

UCLA Paratrooper

50. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    UCLA,

I got a phone call from USUHS on a Friday afternoon with my acceptance notification. They sent me a letter a few days later.

Now about that physical, how long did it take to hear anything from DoDMERB?? I sent mine in about a month ago, and I am not even showing up anywhere on the DoDMERB website. I have seen nothing in the mail from them. Is this normal?

I'm starting to freak out here...

51. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So I called DoDMERB yesterday to check on my status. I gave them name and SSN, I heard a few seconds of typing, and then the guy pauses and says "We don't have anything on you in the system." I told him that I sent it about a month ago, and asked if it was just a matter of time. He said no, that they were pretty much caught up on incoming physicals, and that I didn't exist. Grrrr....:mad:

But the good news is that he let me fax the copies to his attention, and he said that he would expedite my file. I am supposed to call in a few days to check again.