USUHS GME2 Navy Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backrow

60% of the time it works everytime
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To give everybody a better idea of match results for PGY2 training this year in the Navy I have compiled the information for the Navy USUHS Grads who are currently interns and trying to match PGY2.

Here we go:

-Approximately 50 grads
-16 selected for PGY2 training (32%)
-2 Fam Med
-3 Internal Med
-1 NeuroSurg
-1 Ortho
-5 Peds
-2 Psych
-1 Gen Surg
-1 UROL out service​
-looks like everybody who applied UMO from USUHS got it
-5 FS alternates (some of these were selected for PGY2)

Some general observations. A horrible year to go straight through in IM and ortho. Peds had most going straight through and I think all OB/GYN went straight through. GenSurg also tough to go through in. Nobody went straight through in things such as Rads/Anes, etc that I'm aware of.

Hard to see how the navy is going to start cutting back on GMO tours when 68% of it's interns are going to the fleet. (I'm assuming the overall match was similar to USUHS). As mentioned in another thread it looks like FS/UMO is a good bet for USUHS grads.

Hope this helps people one way or the other. Not meant to scare or persuade potential recruits; however, it looks pretty poor in my eyes. Best of luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

5 FS alternates from how many people...25? Thats actually not a particularly good selection rate for FS. I can recall years that there were 2 alternates total. Think they must be decreasing FS billets in anticipation of the GMO conversion and still needing greenside GMOs.

IM had a ton of fleet applicants this year (last time that happened was 3 or 4 years ago). The consequence of that is that fellowship apps will be particularly competitive in 2 years when this group finishes and straight-through types can probably count on not getting a fellowship right away. However, if you are an alternate, there is still hope. There are a few people on that list that aren't going to take it (the guy who matched Derm and IM for example).

5 FS alternates from how many people...25? Thats actually not a particularly good selection rate for FS. I can recall years that there were 2 alternates total. Think they must be decreasing FS billets in anticipation of the GMO conversion and still needing greenside GMOs.

IM had a ton of fleet applicants this year (last time that happened was 3 or 4 years ago). The consequence of that is that fellowship apps will be particularly competitive in 2 years when this group finishes and straight-through types can probably count on not getting a fellowship right away.

Looks like 25 FS selects and 5 alternates. You're right, not the greatest of selects, but overall there were about 26 alternates for FS. You may be right about the cutting back of FS billets, but needing marine GMO's. I also wonder if there were a high number of applicants this year as compared to others.

Members don't see this ad :)
some related questions:

any idea what percentage of general surgery residents complete PGY 2-5 at the same hospital where they were an intern?

sounds like a GMO is nearly unavoidable for general surgery. do you agree? can spouses come along for the GMO? and how long does a GMO usually last?

thank you everyone for your answers!

How does that compare to the non-USUHS folks?

To give everybody a better idea of match results for PGY2 training this year in the Navy I have compiled the information for the Navy USUHS Grads who are currently interns and trying to match PGY2.

Here we go:

-Approximately 50 grads
-2 Fam Med
-3 Internal Med
-1 NeuroSurg
-1 Ortho
-5 Peds
-2 Psych
-1 Gen Surg
-1 UROL out service​

Some general observations. A horrible year to go straight through in IM and ortho. Peds had most going straight through and I think all OB/GYN went straight through. GenSurg also tough to go through in. Nobody went straight through in things such as Rads/Anes, etc that I'm aware of.

Hard to see how the navy is going to start cutting back on GMO tours when 68% of it's interns are going to the fleet. (I'm assuming the overall match was similar to USUHS). As mentioned in another thread it looks like FS/UMO is a good bet for USUHS grads.

Hope this helps people one way or the other. Not meant to scare or persuade potential recruits; however, it looks pretty poor in my eyes. Best of luck to everyone.

How many are going straight through for OB? That would add to your numerator.Just out of suriosity, how many people applied to go straight through vs do a GMO?

How many are going straight through for OB? That would add to your numerator.Just out of suriosity, how many people applied to go straight through vs do a GMO?

There were no OB interns from USUHS last year. Not a popular option in that class I guess.

Here we go:

-Approximately 50 grads
-2 Fam Med
-3 Internal Med
-1 NeuroSurg
-1 Ortho
-5 Peds
-2 Psych
-1 Gen Surg
-1 UROL out service​

Umm...not quite true...this year at NMCP only 3 of 8 Peds interns went straight through.

Rotatores
PGY-2 Pediatrics