Quantcast

USUHS, HPSP, or guard/reserve (Army) after ROTC->med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brh1002

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
This is interesting. So, I'm a contracted cadet in ROTC right now in Alabama. I enlisted as a combat medic in the Guard a few years back, and so elected to do the SMP program ($$$). Anyhow, the state commander implemented a policy recently that assigned control #'s to all of the SMP cadets, forcing us to stay in Reserve components whenever we commission. I am applying to USUHS this year, as I graduate in May '16, and I'm hoping that I get in... But I've recently been speaking to the HPSP recruiter in my area as a backup plan, and he says I'd likely need to get a conditional release if I do HPSP. However, if I do get in to USUHS, I'm wondering if they will override the control # or if I'd need to say screw it and drill as an LT while I was going to USUHS. I'm really not sure how it all works, and I wish I hadn't gotten myself stuck in all this ROTC business, as it makes things so much more complicated... Anyhow, if I'm forced to remain in a reserve component, I think MDSSP would be a good option. But I don't know how that would work in the various situations (USUHS, HPSP, etc.). Any advice/information?

29 MCAT, 3.6 GPA (overall), 1.5 years research in genetics lab on noncoding RNA, 2 years working in ER as an A-EMT, National Guard 68W combat medic 2.5 years

backrow

60% of the time it works everytime
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You will not be able to attend either of those programs without obtaining a release from your current commission. You cannot have two commissions at the same time and both HPSP and USUHS require re-commissioning into the appropriate corps.

It is ultimately up to your Commanding Authority if they want to release you or not. Since they paid for your education they usually like to get something in return.

Reactions: 1 user

Brh1002

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You will not be able to attend either of those programs without obtaining a release from your current commission. You cannot have two commissions at the same time and both HPSP and USUHS require re-commissioning into the appropriate corps.

It is ultimately up to your Commanding Authority if they want to release you or not. Since they paid for your education they usually like to get something in return.
I appreciate the quick response. Your answer is pretty much what I was expecting. I don't think this will change your answer, but I neglected to say that I have received no financial assistance from ROTC or the NG with the exception of a monthly stipend. My undergraduate education has been strictly funded by academic scholarship.
Noting what you said, exactly what authority would I need to go through? Would it be my CO? Or do I need to go to Alabama's AMEDD guy or what? I apologize for the barrage of questions; I simply would not have gone the route that I am going AT ALL had I known what all it would entail. The worst part is that the NG control #'s thing wasn't even part of my contract. They were implemented afterwards, but it included all current SMP cadets and serves to maintain an individual in the Reserves. The big green weenie strikes again....

soccer13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the quick response. Your answer is pretty much what I was expecting. I don't think this will change your answer, but I neglected to say that I have received no financial assistance from ROTC or the NG with the exception of a monthly stipend. My undergraduate education has been strictly funded by academic scholarship.
Noting what you said, exactly what authority would I need to go through? Would it be my CO? Or do I need to go to Alabama's AMEDD guy or what? I apologize for the barrage of questions; I simply would not have gone the route that I am going AT ALL had I known what all it would entail. The worst part is that the NG control #'s thing wasn't even part of my contract. They were implemented afterwards, but it included all current SMP cadets and serves to maintain an individual in the Reserves. The big green weenie strikes again....

I'm in National Guard too and planning on applying to USUHS next year. There is a LOA form on USUHS website, which needs to be approved to be released from Guard. I have never heard anyone not being released to go active.