USUHS Med Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D. Helix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the answer to this:

What happens if you are 10 pounds over the weight requirements for your height on the exam. Will they reject you because of this or do they put you on "probation" (the idea is that you will lose the 10lbs. before August) and you are still eligible for an acceptance?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

D. Helix said:
Anyone know the answer to this:

What happens if you are 10 pounds over the weight requirements for your height on the exam. Will they reject you because of this or do they put you on "probation" (the idea is that you will lose the 10lbs. before August) and you are still eligible for an acceptance?

Thanks

don't know specifically for USUHS, but speaking from my experience with my friends in the Navy who were over the weight limit during their ROTC days a few years back, they were all put on probation for a given amount of time and were not kicked out or taken off their scholarship provided they made reasonable progress in weight loss at mandatory check-ins until they were within the target weight range. i would think the USUHS regulations would be similar or the same as that's probably all set by the military and passed down to their various education programs.

jbrice1639 said:
don't know specifically for USUHS, but speaking from my experience with my friends in the Navy who were over the weight limit during their ROTC days a few years back, they were all put on probation for a given amount of time and were not kicked out or taken off their scholarship provided they made reasonable progress in weight loss at mandatory check-ins until they were within the target weight range. i would think the USUHS regulations would be similar or the same as that's probably all set by the military and passed down to their various education programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your weight requirement should also be balanced against your physical abililty (i.e. 1st Class PFT) and body fat percentage. If you are in acceptable standards for both, then your weight should not be a consideration. There are many military folk out there who are bulky/muscular, but are in excellent physical shape and have less than 10% body fat. Ask to see the Navy Order on BCP from the USUHS Admin section, they should be able to help you out.

Your height weight is an initial standard you have to pass for commissioning. After that it's not as important, but it depends on your service. If you are overweight what they will do is tape you and determine your body fat %. If it's under the acceptable limit then you will be fine.

I'm AF and pass the height/weight for the AF but for the same height would be 10-15 lbs over if I was Army. The school used to use Army as a standard but I talked with the woman who was in charge about this. I didn't understand why I had to get taped to meet Army standards when I am AF active duty and staying AF while there. She looked into it and found no reason and said they would be changing the policy so that you would be compared to your own service's standards.

If you're curious about how the taping works you can google it or PM me which service and I can get you the website.

They can still give you a conditional acceptance, but you have to pass the weight standards by the Springtime.